Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Drakensang...

Sabriana

Learned
Yes, the German version is very acceptable. I guess I should roam around youtube to find some English version, just to see.

Translation from English into German is usally pretty bad as well. Mostly it's the idoms and phrases that get twisted and mistranslated. I really wish I could get FNV in English. Stupid Bethesda. Why are they doing that? Most other English original language games let me install in English, even Bioware. Maybe it's time to go shopping at amazon.uk again.

Yeah, yeah, I'm one of those people that wants an actual disk. I know little about Steam and other on-line distributions, and probably will be dragged kicking and screaming into the new schitz. I guess I should start with gog.com, if it weren't for the stupid pay-pal thingie, which I also don't trust. No, I don't have a credit card, I never needed one. They're not really that popular here for some reason. I guess the EC card is sufficient for most people.

And yes, non-eye bleeding is always a positive sign.

Morkar Left

Is Steam needed for the dlcs or can I just download them and forget about steam besides the original game?
In other words: when I own an original version of the maingame and use a tweaked non-steam version exe do I need tweaked dlcs too or can I just dumb the bought dlcs in the files and be happy?

Sabriana
No problem to get a cc in Germany. The costs are neglible and makes life a lot easier when you do online shopping. I have it only for that and took the card only two times outside of my home. When you want the safe route you can just have one where you have to upload the money beforehand.

Sabriana

Learned
Sabriana
No problem to get a cc in Germany. The costs are neglible and makes life a lot easier when you do online shopping. I have it only for that and took the card only two times outside of my home. When you want the safe route you can just have one where you have to upload the money beforehand.

Oh hey, that's a great idea, I've never thought of that. Duh, of course, a card that's pre-paid - that'll work.

If I could, I'd give you a bro-fist (or would that be a sis-fist?), thanks for the tip.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I've been told the politically correct term to be 'bro-ette', stupid as that sounds.

Bad time to start with the credit card business. Autumn time is the best time for shoes, ads for nice boots and the like are simply everywhere and they don't come cheap. T_T

I've kinda stopped after the first Drakensang thing.. it was okay, it looked nice and all.. but it just isn't as hair-tearingly difficult as the original Northland trilogy was. I don't think I finished any of those other than the third, DS was pretty easy to do even with me making a tremendously bad decision for main character. And that was all they really did let me pick, the rest is a pick up companions system as pioneered by uhm.. Who did come up with that anyway..

Wolfus

Arcane
Original trilogy is hair-tearingly difficult? I call it well-ballanced. Wizardry 6 is difficult and that's why I hate it so much :D

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Woops sorry, I meant 'Challenging', I guess. I meant it in a positive sense anyway. Difficulty is bad if it derives from crippled bad controls or bad design choices, that's when I hate it.
Guess I stand corrected :)

Phelot

Arcane
I didn't find anything wrong with the English translation other than it being boring.

Mentioning RoA with Drakensang makes me sad, though :( Compared to RoA, Drakensang is even worse than it already is. But as mentioned by me several times, RoT is good.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I thought the dialogue wasn't all that bad, but I haven't seen the English version yet. Believe me, translations in games is horrendous most of the time. That's why I usually try to get the English versions. Unfortunately for me, Bethsoft denies me the right to install an English version. So I usually install lot of mods, this way I get at least some original language in the game.

I'm German and have a German Windows, but I still managed to get an English version of Steam. Now all the games I have that require Steam are in English.
But yeah it sucks that you can't choose languages individually by game with Steam.

Sabriana

Learned
I've been told the politically correct term to be 'bro-ette', stupid as that sounds.

Bad time to start with the credit card business. Autumn time is the best time for shoes, ads for nice boots and the like are simply everywhere and they don't come cheap. T_T

I've kinda stopped after the first Drakensang thing.. it was okay, it looked nice and all.. but it just isn't as hair-tearingly difficult as the original Northland trilogy was. I don't think I finished any of those other than the third, DS was pretty easy to do even with me making a tremendously bad decision for main character. And that was all they really did let me pick, the rest is a pick up companions system as pioneered by uhm.. Who did come up with that anyway..

The second Drakensang was pretty good though, maybe try it when you get a good sale? However, the exp-pack is very bad, even compared to Drakensang 1.

Broette? Oh that's funny. I prefer sister, but if broette is what goes here now, so be it. :lol: I know I haven't been here for almost a year, but I don't remember 'broette'. I'm pretty sure I would had I come across it. TY for the heads up.

I agree about the credit cards. I see boots and marvelous coats to die for, I also want to get Divinity 2 Dragon Night Saga (I only have Div 2 Ego Draconis), and I want to get Bioshock 2 (yeah, I like Bioshock 1, perhaps because it reminds me of System Shock, which I can't find anywhere, just like VtM B), and I thank all the stars that I don't have a credit card.

JarlFrank wrote
I'm German and have a German Windows, but I still managed to get an English version of Steam. Now all the games I have that require Steam are in English.

How did you do that? I admit I don't know much about on-line distribution, but I did read that getting versions in other languages is quite the feat. My knowledge about on-line distribution on a scale from 1 to 10 is about a -2.
Gute Arbeit, teile deine Erfahrungen. :)

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
In Steam if you get someone who gets english version (such as someone from england, scandinavia etc) to buy you the game as a gift, you get the english version.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
That gift thing also works to get your games un-cut if you are suffering the misery of living in Germany and/or Australia. Other than that I can set languages in the Steam thing just fine and force it to default all games played to use the same language by default. It shouldn't be hard. Of course, some programs only come in a limited variety of language, this applies ESPECIALLY to censored/edited versions.

Didn't even realize there was a DS 2.. the first one was too.. let's say, NWN2, for me. Plus I didn't get to play as a Witch. In my PnP group I always played as the witch. The pox on you all for not letting me play one! And then I'll cripple all your cattle and spread around infertility curses or whatever.. I'll so bring this up at my next circle meeting in the mire. Along with a list of people that say it should be spelled with a 'b' rather in my case. Hihihi.

Sabriana

Learned
That gift thing also works to get your games un-cut if you are suffering the misery of living in Germany and/or Australia. Other than that I can set languages in the Steam thing just fine and force it to default all games played to use the same language by default. It shouldn't be hard. Of course, some programs only come in a limited variety of language, this applies ESPECIALLY to censored/edited versions.

Didn't even realize there was a DS 2.. the first one was too.. let's say, NWN2, for me. Plus I didn't get to play as a Witch. In my PnP group I always played as the witch. The pox on you all for not letting me play one! And then I'll cripple all your cattle and spread around infertility curses or whatever.. I'll so bring this up at my next circle meeting in the mire. Along with a list of people that say it should be spelled with a 'b' rather in my case. Hihihi.

I'm guessing that's what the problem is. The Fallout games were censored here because the PC could kill children. They edited the kids out, but left the voices. So I had the voices floating around without the kids they belonged to. That was utterly creepy. Bless Fillap for his mod to put the kids back in. Which reminds me, I haven't been over at NMA for a long time too. I do remember my member name, but not the fecking password. Meh, perhaps it'll come to me yet.

As for Drakensang 2, I know you can play as a Nature Expert or a Mage. Not sure about the witchy stuff though. But I agree to a point there. The sisters were burned at the stake by the score for this shit. Time to do the crime for which they did the time :lol:

As for the Steam thing, I have some English friends, and a few Finnish friends, but I have loads of US American friends. Would that work too?

Phelot

Arcane
Is Black Cat in Germany now?

Anyway, you could play as a witch in the Realms of Arkania trilogy complete with magic brooms.

Sabriana

Learned
Is Black Cat in Germany now?

Anyway, you could play as a witch in the Realms of Arkania trilogy complete with magic brooms.

Oh hey there, if that's aimed at me, I never said that I would play that class, but I can understand why some people like it. Das Schwarze Auge is not so bad, anyway. Although I don't remember much, it's been a long, long while since I played it.

Raven hair and ruby lips
sparks fly from her finger tips
Echoed voices in the night
she's a restless spirit on an endless flight
wooo hooo witchy woman, see how
high she flies
woo hoo witchy woman she got
the moon in her eye
She held me spellbound in the night
dancing shadows and firelight
crazy laughter in another
room and she drove herself to madness
with a silver spoon
woo hoo witchy woman see how high she flies
woo hoo witchy woman she got the moon in her eye
Well I know you want a lover,
let me tell your brother, she's been sleeping
in the Devil's bed.
And there's some rumors going round
someone's underground
she can rock you in the nighttime
'til your skin turns red
woo hoo witchy woman
see how high she flies
woo hoo witchy woman
she got the moon in her eye
:lol:

Morkar Left

Phelot is on the right track. You girls/broettes/witches and BC would like each other very well :D

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Even in the US / International version/s that I have played of FallOut 3 the children were immortal, try as you might. Not that I tried. Not that I needed to, being 'Child at Heart'. And I thought it couldn't get any sillier than that.
And, yes, works. I believe even an austrian IP would be able to get a completely non-censored version of stuff, not sure about the language localisation though. US or Finwrand or the likes though, anything they'd give as gifts should be completely clean and non-cut. I thinks it just applies to Germany, Australia and.. perhaps some other sheltered li'l obscure places around the globe.

The Realms of Arkania trilogy was nice like that. It had the most useless and most fun to play thingies. The whole DSA system seemed more about roleplay and immersion rather than hack & slash with bland but balanced classes like DnD is.. I have seen campaigns where there was not a single bit of combat - at least if you didn't actively pick bar fights or anything of course. Not that we needed to. That system has skills not only for seduce but also for uhm.. what was it.. something with ropework.

Still appreciating what DS tries to do and it was actually not too terrible to play. No permanent deaths anymore (which in RoA -always- means, roll a new character. No resurrections, ever!) and I think slow auto-regeneration instead of being treated in a house of healing or sleeping it off for a year.. vastly reduced skillset and a more fast paced real-time combat.. It has to be simple like that nowadays.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
How did you do that? I admit I don't know much about on-line distribution, but I did read that getting versions in other languages is quite the feat. My knowledge about on-line distribution on a scale from 1 to 10 is about a -2.
Gute Arbeit, teile deine Erfahrungen. :)

Ehrlich gesagt, keine Ahnung. :P
Ich hab einfach von vornherein die englische Version von Steam runtergeladen. In der Regel kauf ich meine Spiele auch lieber im Laden oder über Amazon, aber bei einigen braucht man ja leider Steam...

Nach meiner Erfahrung richtet sich die Sprache der installierten Spiele danach, in welcher Sprache dein Steam installiert ist. Komplette Neuinstallation von Steam (Engl. Version natürlich) müsste also theoretisch dazu führen, dass deine Steam-Spiele ab sofort auf Englisch sind.

Sabriana

Learned
Phelot is on the right track. You girls/broettes/witches and BC would like each other very well :D

Ich bezweifle das, Morkar. I'm not into the occult. I think it's a bunch of hoohaa. But I won't deny my sisters (or brothers) to go all out in it. I believe in psychological manipulations. For me, they are easy to spot, and easy to counter.

Mary Sue Leigh, if you ever get to playing Drakensang 2, let me know what you think of it. And I do agree, this bloody censorship is supremely idiotic.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Recommend me a good starting setup for DS2 thingy and I will do that.

You may have a point there though. I mostly got into witchcraft, voodoo and cartomancy since you can easily scare people with it by appealing to their archaic superstitious beliefs, and that is what makes it WORK.
So in effect I guess my hat is a witches' hat because I'm wearing it, and I'm a witch for wearing it.. or however that saying goes.

Morkar Left

I have seen campaigns where there was not a single bit of combat -

That's because combat was that horrible in DSA that nobody wanted to play it :troll:
And probably lots of women in the group. I had a similar experience with Vampire.

More serious; the endless Attacke - Parade - Attacke - Parade - ... - Attacke - Parade Spiel in DSA was annoying on higher levels. Otherwise I always preferred it over D&D because of its varied skill-system and that more than one attribute was important for a skill.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Funny that you mention it but now that I think about it, the P&P playing girls I know generally play more DSA while the men play more D&D.
Heh.

Sabriana

Learned
What the heck is DSA? I know I like D&D. Well, I don't like the 4.0 rules, but then again, I developed a deep dislike for WotC. So I could be biased, who knows.

Morkar Left

DSA = Das Schwarze Auge (= Realms of Arkania)

JarlFrank
I have similar experiences. But I think it's mostly because D&D was never that popular in Germany and basically everybody in Germany started roleplaying with DSA (and maybe Mers/Merp). DSA owned the market and was the only rpg system that was available in regular stores as normal boardgames/childs-stuff.

Phelot

Arcane
In Arkansas, the local PnP scene is actually a front to discuss Metallica nonstop with rednecks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom