Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So that's it for the Civilization series then...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They just went full retard. You might have heard of this, but it just officially launched today.

Feast your eyes on Civ World, the new Facebook game, complete with cutesy Nintendo-style graphics. A whole new generation will grow up thinking this is what Civ is about:

civ-world-1.jpg

Notice someone "sending culture" in the bottom left corner. And that's not all folks, what's the one thing that's always missing from your turn-based grand strategy games? Of course, it's a Sims-style room full of "achievements" to show off.

civ-world-3.jpg

It's not even some unheard of dev this time, Sid Meier himself pissed all over his own great legacy with this one. Read more about the sad state of affairs here:

http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/12/at-la ... -facebook/
http://mygaming.co.za/news/news/12802-S ... ebook.html

Civilization or Farmville? Which is the most harcore Facebook game and why? Discuss.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh, Civ Revolutions and Civ 5 already killed the franchise for good, so who cares?

Meier reached his apogee with SMAC and it's been an ever more rapid decline since.

I'm actually glad he's gone in this direction. Maybe there will be a space to fill by a decent Civ style game on the PC without the near monopoly by Meier.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
commie said:
I'm actually glad he's gone in this direction. Maybe there will be a space to fill by a decent Civ style game on the PC without the near monopoly by Meier.
SimCity vanished and we got CitiesXL 2011, that is great. I hope that someone takes Sid Meyer's throne soon.

@commie rememeber that with the exception of Civ I, Sid Meier has mostly left the civ series over to other guys, he's just being a trademark nowadays.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Destroid said:
Isn't that achievement room kind of analogous to the throne room of old?

Shhh. This is hate time, not reason time.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I don't mind the cutesy graphics, and I think the throne room is pretty cool.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Destroid said:
Isn't that achievement room kind of analogous to the throne room of old?

Could you show that one off to your friends?

Edit: I should say "friends"

DakaSha

Arcane
the old throne room was just some bullshit that u saw when u reached some kind of mile stone.. this is very likley some facebook tardation that tries to force the game on others in your friendslist.

im fairly certain hating right now is a reasonable stance

Destroid

Arcane
DakaSha said:
the old throne room was just some bullshit that u saw when u reached some kind of mile stone.. this is very likley some facebook tardation that tries to force the game on others in your friendslist.

im fairly certain hating right now is a reasonable stance

No, you could pick which upgrades to make it pretty.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If I sell my current company, I want to either buy the rights to SMAC or Star Control 2 and make them better.

(less popamole)

TripJack

Hedonist
what the fuck..................................................................

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Civ 5 ruined the series for me. This is just shit topping on the ass cake.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Civ 5 was "okay", and at least was a PC game. We have a new foe ahead of us, and this time is from Facebook! To arms!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
felipepepe said:
Civ 5 was "okay", and at least was a PC game. We have a new foe ahead of us, and this time is from Facebook! To arms!
Indeed. Soon console gamers will be complaining that their games are being dumbed down for facebook.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Civ5 was the first of the series I didn't buy. This goes all the way back to the original Civ in the late 80's.

Civilization is dead to me now.

Marobug

Hey let's not overreact, Civ 5 wasn't a bad game by any means and this is only a spin-off AND a facebook game, it's no shock that the final result ended up being utter crap.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The funny thing is, Civ 5 could so easily have been great. If they added everything they did (Cities defending themselves, no unit stacking, hex tiles, cannons actually being useful, art deco, etc) and didn't gut almost everything else completely, who knows? I have to say it started going downhill (as usual) when they released a console version. Who thought that would be a good idea? I'm expecting Hearts of Iron: Exploshunz for Playstation 3 any day now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sid, how about making an expansion to Civ 5, and putting Civ4 elements into the game, instead of jerking off at Facebook?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
herostratus said:
The game isn't too shabby. Better than civ5 at any rate.
:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom