Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Larianshill

Arbiter
You know what do I think about Solasta? During the tutorial, there is this little sub-quest where your rogue infiltrates some sort of a big house, or a mansion. The way interior and exterior blend together, the way verticality adds to the experience, it almost felt like a top-down Dishonored. I've looked at it and thought: "If this is what they show off in the tutorial, I can't wait for the next city location".
And then they never do anything of the sort again.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I remember that in the early access version of the thief tutorial you could use the pickpocket skill.

But yeah, a fully stealth focused mission where you need to navigate a complex castle, make use of verticality and utility spells like spider climb or misty step would have been awesome.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can also skip it by clearing a fortress for Daliat, though I wonder whether that gives better rewards.

Parabalus

Arcane
speaking of sneaking and rogues, its like if locked chests disappear in 2nd half of the game

Rogues themselves also seem to be pure garbage.

I've seen people say you can replace them with any low-life background class, highly recommended.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
We all suck at first. Sucking less is what it's all about. He can start with the fake and ghey politics.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorcerer, I an curious about which subclasses they will implement. But except by metamagic, I don't see any benefit on then over wiz. Mainly considering how great Shock Arcanist is as a Blaster.

I also wanna see more homebrew spells to explore verticality.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
speaking of sneaking and rogues, its like if locked chests disappear in 2nd half of the game

I've seen people say you can replace them with any low-life background class, highly recommended.
Sneak attack is pretty good,but 5e is pretty retarded,they fucked up a lot of classes with half ass simplification. Utility wise the rogue have become pretty useless,shame. Back in 3.5e it was the king of utility with a lot of skills,pretty good for main character on campaigns with other shit than muh combat.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Even the few locked chests remaining at that point rarely seem to have anything of value in them. At best it's things like +1 weapons, which at that point in the game are kinda pointless anyway.

All the best items seem to be crafts, drops or unlocked containers immediately after boss fights. Also the antiquarians inventory, who I only just managed to scrape living legend with on the last side quest.

Parabalus

Arcane

Sneak attack is pretty good,but 5e is pretty retarded,they fucked up a lot of classes with half ass simplification. Utility wise the rogue have become pretty useless,shame. Back in 3.5e it was the king of utility with a lot of skills,pretty good for main character on campaigns with other shit than muh combat.

SA is complete trash because of the 1/turn limit.

Much better to take a fighter or ranger instead.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I dunno why they nerfed sneak attacks so badly in 5e.

Sneak dice was always highly conditional in Pathfinder and 3.5. The fact you got it on every attack was powerful, but it usually took a lot of set up to achieve. You either had to flank (many enemies are immune to flanking), be invisible/stealthed or do feints which required a bluff check vs quite high DCs on high level enemies.

Any enemies immune to precision (which at high levels would be at least one creature per encounter) or enemies with fortification (again not that uncommon at high levels) could counter it quite easily as well.

It was one of those high risk/high reward things most of the time, as the Rogue had to expose themselves to quite significant danger usually to be capable of pulling them off.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Not really,it could do a lot of damage,far better than ranger. But yeah SA is pretty bad because of the 1 attack shit,still better than 2e tho :lol:,in BG games you had one sneak per combat more or less. You had to gulp invisibility potions to be effective.

V_K

Arcane
ITT: People vehemently disagreeing about the value of various builds/classes.

Also ITT: People complaining about the lack of build variety / obvious winning choices.

Is it just me or something doesn't add up?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Sneak dice was always highly conditional in Pathfinder and 3.5. The fact you got it on every attack was powerful, but it usually took a lot of set up to achieve. You either had to flank (many enemies are immune to flanking), be invisible/stealthed or do feints which required a bluff check vs quite high DCs on high level enemies.

Any enemies immune to precision (which at high levels would be at least one creature per encounter) or enemies with fortification (again not that uncommon at high levels) could counter it quite easily as well.

It was one of those high risk/high reward things most of the time, as the Rogue had to expose themselves to quite significant danger usually to be capable of pulling them off.
Yeah,it was very satisfying to pull a good rogue :smug:. But it was not that much of high risk,all you needed is to know your enemy. It was obvious you pull out the longbow and begin shooting acid arrows when you were fighting golems or such shit,and leave the melee fighters to do their job. You could build up very good dual wielding rogue back in the day.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ITT: People vehemently disagreeing about the value of various builds/classes.

Also ITT: People complaining about the lack of build variety / obvious winning choices.

Is it just me or something doesn't add up?
Nobody is talking about fucking builds but about classes,learn the difference you cunt.

Parabalus

Arcane

Not really,it could do a lot of damage,far better than ranger. But yeah SA is pretty bad because of the 1 attack shit,still better than 2e tho :lol:,in BG games you had one sneak per combat more or less. You had to gulp invisibility potions to be effective.

It's ok until the warrior classes get the 2nd attack, then the rogue gets rekt.

The BG sneak attacks did >100 damage on lower HP pools, they are much better than this shit. You could also just run out of sight and HiS, easy with haste stacking. Or use Mislead.

In the PF games sneak attack is pretty much free. And in e.g. NwN1&2 you could SA every round with HiPS spam.

But constant SA at least made Rogues useful.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
In the PF games sneak attack is pretty much free. And in e.g. NwN1&2 you could SA every round with HiPS spam.

That's because the games have a dumbed down implementation of flanking rules. The tabletop has no such issue.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That's because the games have a dumbed down implementation of flanking rules. The tabletop has no such issue.
I prefer the PF and NWN type of a sneak attacks,it is far more active. Don't care about TableTop since we are talking about pc games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The BG sneak attacks did >100 damage on lower HP pools, they are much better than this shit. You could also just run out of sight and HiS, easy with haste stacking. Or use Mislead.

Yep;.
Lilura blog said:
• Backstab damage = weapon roll [max 6] + weapon enchantment [3] + weapon specialization [4] + weapon damage bonus [9] * backstab level [4]
+ Strength bonus [14] = 102.

• Which would equate to 204 on a crit, but the above-screencapped 196 was my personal maximum on .

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2020/01/Baldurs-Gate-Maximum-Backstab-Damage-Biggest-Backstab.html

And on BG2, she managed to reach over 500 damage on a backstab, in a game where even adamantite golems has 80 hp.

In the PF games sneak attack is pretty much free.

Which is one of the PF:KM flaws.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Sneaking was also super bad,i tried to use it once and then never again.
expertise and items change this a lot.
Also rogue being able to restealth as free action is huge. Still they lag behind. The way to play it is play thief and allow use scrolls for everyone in options

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom