Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq53A3OW28

This was uploaded six days ago. It is Our Guy Emile 'Myzzrym' Zhang giving a speech essentially about how to deal with the often angry and irrational mob. I watched most of it but it isn't directly about Solasta necessarily. Still, he had one line at 2:45 in the vid saying this: "Or maybe you know that there is this feature that people are super excited about in your upcoming game but you didn't have the time to implement it so... crap."
:updatedmytxt:

The irony of low information assumption making in the context of his speech is not lost on me. I'll keep expectations in check.

Thanks for wasting an hour of your life watching this. It's completely uninformative—nothing learned about their new game, and it's clear he just likes to hear himself talk. And I know what I'm talking about, being a Codexer.
Isn't it a typical gamedev conference?

Bara

Arcane
So coming back to Solasta after BG3 I think it's the better 5e game.

Base campaign quests and adventure are for sure better in BG3 but I really did enjoy Lost Valley and whats truer to 5e than being able to make your own custom campaigns or playing through others.

If that level editor for BG3 hidden in the Toolkit pans out I might reverse my opinion but that'll depend on how easy it is to use for people and what content actually gets made.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Was Solasta successful enough to A) get them a full 5e license, B) WotC moneys C) ability to hire more coding technical staff?
At least going by the amount of Steam reviews, it sold very well for an indie game.

Whether that was enough for WotC to care is something else entirely.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
We can only hope that Tactical Adventures will avoid any entanglement with WotC/Hasbro but instead are using the revenue from their first game (and the two later campaigns) to fund a better successor, preferable more ambitious in terms of exploration. :M

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So, about those faces...
ymKTEqM.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In Solasta campaign maker, is it possibly to slow down XP gain, to keep low levels longer?

Artyoan

Prophet
In Solasta campaign maker, is it possibly to slow down XP gain, to keep low levels longer?
Yes. If you make custom monsters then you can set the Challenge Rating value to 0 which means it will give no exp. In hidden quests and dialogue the dungeon maker can either give flat experience amounts or level the player to whatever level specified. In this campaign, monsters give exp on kill but it is irrelevant. The exp that matters is granted on advancing to the next location.

Edit: I guess it would be relevant if you play with less than six characters. Though I expect that to be rare. I could drop everything but undead to 0 since turn undead can kill based on the CR. Unfinished Business mod allows for changing exp rates too.

Reminds me that I still haven't played Palace Of Ice. Does it have an overland map again to "explore"? Liked Lost Valley, actually. edit: Just bought it.

Overall the game reminded me of SSI games of yore in general: Just a simple setup, here's your D&D, go. Plus you didn't need to engage with walls of unedited text and neverending Wraths Of The Trash Mobs just to make a campaign made on a finite budget more epic than LOTR, War And Peace and Doctor Zhivago combined. Nothing that will be remembered as one of the GOATs. But also nothing that tests your patience around every bloody corner.

Last edited:

Artyoan

Prophet
Reminds me that I still haven't played Palace Of Ice. Does it have an overland map again to "explore"? Liked Lost Valley, actually. edit: Just bought it.

Overall the game reminded me of SSI games of yore in general: Just a simple setup, here's your D&D, go. Plus you didn't need to engage with walls of unedited text and neverending Wraths Of The Trash Mobs just to make a campaign made on a finite budget more epic than LOTR, War And Peace and Doctor Zhivago combined. Nothing that will be remembered as one of the GOATs. But also nothing that tests your patience around every bloody corner.
It does have a world map. And it let dungeon maker campaigns use the world map as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom