Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Reinhardt

Arcane
what if the real infiltrator was friends we made along the way?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The subclasses they homebrew and the weapons they added are perfectly balanced. It's 100% normal for this to happen in a single turn:

Screenshot-1320.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I honestly don't know what you guys see in it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, yeah sure, it's 5E but the content and encounter design are below par. Then we have overpowered homebrew subclasses on top.

Artyoan

Prophet
I honestly don't know what you guys see in it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, yeah sure, it's 5E but the content and encounter design are below par. Then we have overpowered homebrew subclasses on top.
The game has a lot of flaws but I'll shill for it:
-The combat feels solid even with questionable encounter design
-Light matters in combat
-Verticality also matters, being able to fly and spider walk on walls adds a nice element
-Cover system also means that the environment is important
-It has an expansive and incredible mod called Unfinished Business that triples the content. Much more spells, more than double the subclasses, adds Artificer, adds hand crossbows, halberds, long mace, and pikes. More than double the feats. numerous rule changes can be made, and allows for playing with five or six man parties as well. Also allows custom portraits. All of this can be turned on or off as you please.
-Solasta has a dungeon maker that allows for custom created content with which to play all of the above.

Combine the dungeon maker with the mod and it is disgusting how much value can potentially come out of the game.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
DnD based cRPGs would have a lot better encounter designs if they were more roguelike in nature.

Party members dying and TPKs are normal in the tabletop game. There is no reason why failure states should not be written into tactical games like these, which don't even use joinable companions. You can even make it basic by segmenting the game into acts or whatever.

Make it Ironman. Make it roguelike. Write in multiple failure states that can continue the adventure.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Encounter design is flawed mainly because of unlimited resting, and this issue applies to every D&D-type game since the dawn of time. You're supposed to face multiple encounters with limited resources, potentially even having to avoid combat altogether. If you implement an ironman mode with limited rest spots between dungeon sequences, the game would be much more challenging, and you wouldn't be able to spam fireball and haste. However, this likely won't happen because the developers prefer to cater to YouTubers who rely on karmic dice. I can only hope their next game uses Pathfinder 2E, where you need to be at full resources for most fights.

Artyoan

Prophet
Encounter design is flawed mainly because of unlimited resting, and this issue applies to every D&D-type game since the dawn of time. You're supposed to face multiple encounters with limited resources, potentially even having to avoid combat altogether. If you implement an ironman mode with limited rest spots between dungeon sequences, the game would be much more challenging, and you wouldn't be able to spam fireball and haste. However, this likely won't happen because the developers prefer to cater to YouTubers who rely on karmic dice. I can only hope their next game uses Pathfinder 2E, where you need to be at full resources for most fights.
Then you're in luck. Because I'm making as close to a 'rogue-like' mode as I can get, which restricts long resting. And it is playable up to level 11.

The rundown:
-Starts at level 1. You can level up to 5 or 9 and a bunch of items/recipes/gold will be given randomly. Better to start at level 1 for now.
-Six man party. Unfinished Business mod is required to play it. Encounters are designed around six player characters.
-Leveling is done by reaching the next area, rather than by exp from enemy kills
-Areas that you go to are chosen by hidden dice rolls in the background. There are three areas potentially per party level.
-Pick up any brown backpacks you find as those trigger custom loot packs to reward items
-Ability checks are used, like history, religion, investigation, arcana, etc and an adventure book is provided to know what skill check is about to occur based on the asset it is on. A history check is done on statues, arcana on book/worktables, religion on a obelisk type monument, etc.

If you want attrition based six man combat with a huge amount of random elements then here you go. Check the Solasta discord, the modding section, look for Grave Rush (6 Man Party) and download the json I uploaded there as of today. Paste that into the campaign folder and have a go at it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then you're in luck. Because I'm making as close to a 'rogue-like' mode as I can get, which restricts long resting. And it is playable up to level 11.

The rundown:
-Starts at level 1. You can level up to 5 or 9 and a bunch of items/recipes/gold will be given randomly. Better to start at level 1 for now.
-Six man party. Unfinished Business mod is required to play it. Encounters are designed around six player characters.
-Leveling is done by reaching the next area, rather than by exp from enemy kills
-Areas that you go to are chosen by hidden dice rolls in the background. There are three areas potentially per party level.
-Pick up any brown backpacks you find as those trigger custom loot packs to reward items
-Ability checks are used, like history, religion, investigation, arcana, etc and an adventure book is provided to know what skill check is about to occur based on the asset it is on. A history check is done on statues, arcana on book/worktables, religion on a obelisk type monument, etc.

If you want attrition based six man combat with a huge amount of random elements then here you go. Check the Solasta discord, the modding section, look for Grave Rush (6 Man Party) and download the json I uploaded there as of today. Paste that into the campaign folder and have a go at it.
Fuck yeah.
I'm playing The revenge of Xaar'Juul right now which is ok. Old fashioned dialogue, decent fights all around. Nothing difficult though.
Planning on knocking down a few more modules before I get to your stuff. Got an all barbarian party ready for it too.

Mortmal

Arcane

The rundown:

I just played it a bit, and I like it a lot more this way—no over-the-top encounters and limited rests. It makes it feel much closer to true dungeon delving. You should have designed your previous modules this way.

Artyoan

Prophet

The rundown:

I just played it a bit, and I like it a lot more this way—no over-the-top encounters and limited rests. It makes it feel much closer to true dungeon delving. You should have designed your previous modules this way.
I'll be debating with myself about whether I want future story based campaigns to be structured around attrition or not. Especially if a theoretical Solasta 2 had more options in restricting it. I'm fine with the current way since it keeps things open to come and go but also to wander to areas one shouldn't necessarily be. The option is there to self-restrict and tweak the difficulty (up or down) for the desired effect. But I do agree that using the attrition system is truer to what 5e is supposed to be and to invoke in the player.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
fin.png

Finally!

Palace of Ice is a bit underwhelming, I'd say it's the worst content they've published for Solasta. Kinda weird that its score on Steam is higher than that of Lost Valley.

I'll shelve this game for a while now, but I'll definitely come back to it sooner or later to try Morrows Deep.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Mmmmh, they were all very straightforward. You get most of them while playing normally, then it's just a matter of making different choices to get different endings in the DLCs, there are no challenging achievements of any sorts.

If I had to pick one, I'd say the one you get for starting a multiplayer session, because none of my friends had this game.

The funniest one probably was "The solution is brute force", an achievement you get if you say "fuck it all" and decide to ignore the story in the Lost Valley DLC.

Mortmal

Arcane

The rundown:

I'll be debating with myself about whether I want future story based campaigns to be structured around attrition or not. Especially if a theoretical Solasta 2 had more options in restricting it. I'm fine with the current way since it keeps things open to come and go but also to wander to areas one shouldn't necessarily be. The option is there to self-restrict and tweak the difficulty (up or down) for the desired effect. But I do agree that using the attrition system is truer to what 5e is supposed to be and to invoke in the player.
I don't know why you want to fight the system and guidelines ; it's clearly working better this way. I also noticed that you place far fewer magic items, which is also a good thing. It's better to balance things this way—now, of course, as long as people don't start using the overpowered options in the Unfinished Business mod.

Artyoan

Prophet
I don't know why you want to fight the system and guidelines ; it's clearly working better this way. I also noticed that you place far fewer magic items, which is also a good thing. It's better to balance things this way—now, of course, as long as people don't start using the overpowered options in the Unfinished Business mod.
If a story-based campaign is very linear then I agree it is definitely the favorable option. If it isn't, then there are tradeoffs to be made. I'm not fighting the system of 5e so much as I tried to find a design structure for an rpg that I prefer while using the 5e ruleset as is necessary here. Basically, trading for freedom of movement, exploration, and immersion at the expense of class balance and tilted encounter design. Saying I'm fitting a round peg into a square hole is valid criticism but it still works well enough that I found it enjoyable and so did other people.

I can find a happier medium potentially by having side areas open but most actual dungeons using attrition. Dungeons then need a good way (preferably not immersion breaking) for me to signal that the player cannot leave this area once they've gone in. If I had a way of de-activating a long rest campfire after one use, that would make for a nice tool here but I can't do that. Can't restrict food either because spells and game options exist to circumvent that entirely. It's always about tradeoffs.

Like I said, I'm not against the idea. If they are making Solasta 2 or whatever, and it has a DM, I'm much more likely to have attrition be a huge component of it. I'll have to see what kind of functionality it has.

I'm not worried about overpowered options in Unfinished Business. The people that are going to use them and know what they're doing will bump up the difficulty parameters. Even if they don't, stomping the whole module is up to them. Not my recommendation but people will do whatever they feel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom