Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PrettyDeadman

Your words are very unkind, ArchAngel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2613520

22% Funded in Day 1! Thank you so much!

Well folks, we're off to a great start! It's been less than 24h and we're already 22% funded, let's go! We're incredibly thankful for all your support so far. Special shout-out to all the friendly studios who've bumped us up on Twitter, Spearhead Games (Project Witchstone), 6 Eyes Studio (Fell Seal) and last but not least, Obsidian (Pillars of Eternity)!

If you want to help us even more, tell your friends about us! If you know people who love tabletop RPGs, cRPGs or Tactical RPGs (that's a lot of RPGs!), let them know about our campaign - whether on Steam, Twitter, Facebook or Reddit, the more the merrier! Solasta will become bigger and better with every new fan we can reach - and you can help us achieve that goal.

We're also reading your feedback attentively, so don't hesitate to tell us what you think about the Demo! For instance, we noted the issues most people have with the camera during exploration, and we can already tell you not to worry - the camera is a hot topic even within the studio, so we're definitively going to take another look at it! Another topic that often comes up is GOG - I can tell you that we're currently in discussion with them :)

Starting tomorrow we'll start to give you more insight on the World of Solasta, starting with an introduction to the Setting :) Oh, and if haven't read it yet here's IGN's Review of our Demo!

- Tactical Myzzrym

e46c77715f287fa2f3638a8b3387cc0f_original.jpg

A very early look at our Tavern, the starting area of the main campaign

Fairfax

Arcane
EDIT: As for the Giant Spiders, since they are considered large creatures they have 10 feet reach if I remember correctly. It looks a bit weird right now since it feels like they attack you from far away, that might be why you had disadvantage.
The disadvantage to ranged attacks in close combat should only apply to having enemies within 5 feet, not their reach (unlike opportunity attacks). Unless that's another house rule, of course.

Codex Year of the Donut
They must have taken the UI guy from Amplitude when they left, reminds me a lot of Endless Space 2. That game had a really good UI.

Thal

Prophet
Completed the demo.
  • It's low level DnD. What's not to like?
  • Well, not sure how roleplaying an entire party works. D:OS tried to do something like it, but it was for the co-op and annoyed most other players. Here I felt like watching my party and pulling strings here and there, instead of being the party.
  • Light was literally the game changer against spiders. I see a lot of potential in this design.
  • Verticality will make for more complex battlefields, which brings more tactical opportunities and threats.
  • The camera should definitely be unlocked. If you wish to hide your levels from the player, use fog of war or something, but right now it's too clunky.
  • It's clear that tactical combat is the main selling point. It seems imperative that you add as many classes as possible to provide variety and replayability.
  • Still not into cutscenes and linear structure. However, given that it's a pre-alpha demo, it's not really a complaint. Hope the final game has levels more like Durlag's Tower level 1.
  • Speaking of which, the fact that you've released something playable for a KS campaign deserves to be commended. You've done a huge service for your credibility.
  • Finally, realistic art direction! Thank you!
I hope you guys get funded and then some.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
They must have taken the UI guy from Amplitude when they left, reminds me a lot of Endless Space 2. That game had a really good UI.
I have to agree with this one. UI is excellent. I just hope that whoever was responsible for Endless Space 2 not having real combat didn't also join this team in any important role. That decision completely killed my will to get and play that game.

Dodo1610

Arcane
How can this be a fun DND 5e game in which attacks can miss someone has to tell Swen of this .:argh:

Anyway, how do the voices work? Does each race get one voice or is it per class?

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
My fans go up to full blast within a minute of starting gameplay on a pretty good desktop. Verified this twice. Turned graphics down to medium, and I'll see if this continues when my computer calms down.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
My fans go up to full blast within a minute of starting gameplay on a pretty good desktop. Verified this twice. Turned graphics down to medium, and I'll see if this continues when my computer calms down.
What is your frame rate? If it's uncapped the game could be running the GPU at 100% regardless of settings.

You could try turning on vsync to cap your frame rate to the monitor refresh rate, that might calm things down.

deuxhero

Arcane
Spectacle
It's capped at 60, at least according to Steam overlay (and according to the graphics options, v-sync is on and my graphics card options say I've capped everything at 60fps). I too suspected that was the issue since that's always been the cause every other time I've seen this issue.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Spectacle
It's capped at 60, at least according to Steam overlay (and according to the graphics options, v-sync is on and my graphics card options say I've capped everything at 60fps). I too suspected that was the issue since that's always been the cause every other time I've seen this issue.
Then that sounds rather strange. It could be a bug of some sort, but bugs that overload the GPU tend to make the game run like shit. Any luck with medium settings?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In recent times, good-looking and/or well-publicized RPG Kickstarter campaigns have consistently been able to reach $100,000+ of funding. Stoneshard, Black Geyser, The Waylanders, Realms Beyond. Queen's Wish got $100k too. It's Kickstarter's magic number.

Solasta though is looking to reach $200k...I think they can make it, but it might be a close one.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Tried with normal graphics on. No fan issues. They actually turn up, but that's to be expected with a game that's not made for a intel core duo.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Where are my millions :negative:

Joking aside, glad you guys like it. We're trying to get out a new version with some additional camera options in the coming week.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Anyone knows if the game will have only dungeons and indoor areas?

I am afraid that the only outdoor zone is the tutorial

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Liked the demo, except the camera I guess, and while the UI is slick I'm not sure it really fit into the fantasy setting. Felt more like a Sci-Fi UI to me. Combat felt similar to Temple of Elemental Evil, which is a really good thing. Even liked the odd puppet dialogue system, mostly because it reminded me of old children shows from the 80's. All and all looking forward to what it will become!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom