Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

You seem to underestimate game journalists. I believe in their unrivaled ability to suck at gaming.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
To be fair though, we've been working on Tutorials lately and there's quite a lot of things that can be quite obscure if you never played D&D 5e.

The whole action / bonus action / "free action" / reaction can be confusing (like why does that spell take a bonus action instead of an action? and why can't I cast an action spell and a bonus action spell if I can take an action and a bonus action in the same turn?), attack of opportunities and disengage rules may take a bit to remember - and I'm not even talking about Rogue's cunning action which scramble the basics for D&D newbies. Suddenly you can dash with your bonus action instead of your action, or double dash with action and bonus action...

So yea, I expect some people could be a bit put off by the complexity of the ruleset if they never played D&D 5e before.

Last edited:

purpleblob

Savant
To be fair though, we've been working on Tutorials lately and there's quite a lot of things that can be quite obscure if you never played D&D 5e.

The whole action / bonus action / "free action" / reaction can be confusing (like why does that spell take a bonus action instead of an action? and why can't I cast an action spell and a bonus action spell if I can take an action and a bonus action in the same turn?), attack of opportunities and disengage rules may take a bit to remember - and I'm not even talking about Rogue's cunning action which scramble the basics for D&D newbies. Suddenly you can dash with your bonus action instead of your action, or double dash with action and bonus action...

So yea, I expect some journalists could be a bit put off by the complexity of the ruleset if they never played D&D 5e before.

But learning new things is part of fun imo.

Harthwain

Magister
But learning new things is part of fun imo.
For some people any change is bad, because it forces them to learn new things and adapt to changes. Sticking with the old is easier and easier is more comfortable. I don't have problem with learning, but I do need rules to not be convoluted.

5th Edition is different enough, to where knowledge of prior editions is nearly irrelevant. That being said, it's so different because it's so simple (not in a bad way). D&D 5th edition is very intuitive and rules light. If we can't expect new players to learn D&D 5th edition, then the end is truly nigh, and ours is deserved damnation!

Mortmal

Arcane
5th Edition is different enough, to where knowledge of prior editions is nearly irrelevant. That being said, it's so different because it's so simple (not in a bad way). D&D 5th edition is very intuitive and rules light. If we can't expect new players to learn D&D 5th edition, then the end is truly nigh, and ours is deserved damnation!

It is more complex and harder than becmi, a ruleset we all started with. When i show 5E to normies who never played anything, they think i am a math Genius. Myzzrym is not wrong, what seems completely obvious to us is an impossible obstacle for many people.
As for challenge i dont know what is solasta philosophy , myself i use http://dhmstark.co.uk/rpgs/encounter-calculator-5th// or https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/calc/enc_size.html . Balancing encounters and keeping them a challenge is extremely hard, nigh impossible , as its depends on the party composition, player experience , terrain configuration and the number of rests you allow. In the cr calculator they advise 2 medium encounter spaced with 1 shortrest , 1 long rest only after 3 encounters with short rest . Another way is to plan a 2X to 3x xp amount of a Deadly encounter after a long rest, very challenging yet some munchkins cut through that like butter.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not only that Mortmal, i assume(not sure) that on Solasta, you create your party. Not only a character That said, a full cleric party can have a ludicrous easy encounter next to a impossible encounter depending on how the game was designed. On P&P, a DM can at will, change the encounters to make a more engaging experience to the party composition, on CRPG's, this is not possible. Hell, i remember when i did a caster only run of M&M VII. Got my party OHKilled many times on chests but on late game, the game was a cakewalk. If all PC's wanna play as a caster, the DM can "play" a non casting NPC to help the party if he likes, can change the encounters in "N" possible ways, change the traps, loot, etc to accommodate the playstyle of the players... IF difficulties settings come to Solasta, i would love to see more than just inflating numbers. Like improving the enemy eqquipment, putting more enemies, etc.

It is more complex and harder than becmi, a ruleset we all started with. When i show 5E to normies who never played anything, they think i am a math Genius. Myzzrym is not wrong, what seems completely obvious to us is an impossible obstacle for many people.
As for challenge i dont know what is solasta philosophy , myself i use http://dhmstark.co.uk/rpgs/encounter-calculator-5th// or https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/calc/enc_size.html . Balancing encounters and keeping them a challenge is extremely hard, nigh impossible , as its depends on the party composition, player experience , terrain configuration and the number of rests you allow. In the cr calculator they advise 2 medium encounter spaced with 1 shortrest , 1 long rest only after 3 encounters with short rest . Another way is to plan a 2X to 3x xp amount of a Deadly encounter after a long rest, very challenging yet some munchkins cut through that like butter.

Well, I will agree that the encounter calculation guidelines are...unwieldy, everything else is pretty simple. Attribute Roll + Proficiency Bonus (if any) is used for most rolls. While there are many exceptions, it's always clear why. Even those that aren't, like adding 8 to a spell casting roll is easy to remember.

Elex

Arbiter
Well explain the difference between melee weapon attack and attack with a melee weapon in a tutorial can be a little complicate indeed.

Elex

Arbiter

How hard is an encounter is also based on what optional rules the DM add.

for example: rolling stat vs point buy.

with rolling you can have a 18+2= 20 a bonus of +5 the max for 5e

with point buy max is 15+2= 17 a bonus of +3

The difference look small for older edition players but in 5e is massive

Mortmal

Arcane
Not only that Mortmal, i assume(not sure) that on Solasta, you create your party. Not only a character That said, a full cleric party can have a ludicrous easy encounter next to a impossible encounter depending on how the game was designed. On P&P, a DM can at will, change the encounters to make a more engaging experience to the party composition, on CRPG's, this is not possible. Hell, i remember when i did a caster only run of M&M VII. Got my party OHKilled many times on chests but on late game, the game was a cakewalk. If all PC's wanna play as a caster, the DM can "play" a non casting NPC to help the party if he likes, can change the encounters in "N" possible ways, change the traps, loot, etc to accommodate the playstyle of the players... IF difficulties settings come to Solasta, i would love to see more than just inflating numbers. Like improving the enemy eqquipment, putting more enemies, etc.

Indeed i was speaking of a traditional group , every clerics is not the same, while in becmi it was simple and straightforward, now they can be controller, healer, melee fighter or damage dealer.

Well, I will agree that the encounter calculation guidelines are...unwieldy, everything else is pretty simple. Attribute Roll + Proficiency Bonus (if any) is used for most rolls. While there are many exceptions, it's always clear why. Even those that aren't, like adding 8 to a spell casting roll is easy to remember.
Its not as intuitive as it looks, first look at a spell DC 8 + proficiency bonus + intelligence modifier . Why not 10 ? Proficiency bonus is not +1 by level but +1 by groups of 4 levels . Oh and its not only intelligence modifier but charisma or wisdom too….Newcomers dont have it easy starting with this system. Then you have to keep track of durations,and roll concentration checks if the spellcasters are damaged both pc and npcs , reroll some saves beggining of each rounds . If its boss fight , lair actions at init 20 and legendary actions when its not even the monster turn, reactions, and why not a counterspell as reaction to add some spice (remember how it works i hope ? ). Also keep track of all the effects afflicting pc and npc. Now you got that , you forgot the light and darkness system giving advantages and disadvantages and have to measure on your map if they are still in dim light.Were they on high ground or difficult terrain ?
That's where a CRPG really shines.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Game journalists are bad at finishing tutorials too.

Game journalists complained that you need to have elemental resistance to fight enemies who deals elemental damage on PoE

I an AWFUL at platforming but not game journalist level of awfulness.

As a child, i NEVER finished Crash from PS1 Nor even Spyro. I always was awful with a controller.. That is a reason to why i spended much more time on PC. The first RPG of my life was Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor. Baldur's gate i din't finished as a child due language barriers. As anyone can notice by my awful grammar, English is not my mother language. Lastly, PF:KM had a mode called "story mode" where is virtually impossible to die and game journalists still complained by "brought no supplies into a dungeon and had to back track or reload a save" , PF:KM is my favorite modern RPG. I finished 2 times, one as a sorcerer of silver draconic bloodline and another as a sorcerer of undead bloodline. Solasta remembers me a lot of ToEE and i really wish that the game will have a good review, so it will encourage more people to make in depth RPG's exploring verticality .

Bara

Arcane
Dev Update #6

Hello there everyone!

Welcome to another Dev Update, where we show you all the latest updates on Solasta: Crown the Magister.

Caer Cyflen, Capital of the Principality of Masgarth

Up until now we've been mostly sharing screenshots and concept art of levels and dungeons, often giving you the oh-so elusive "we'll share that at a later date" answer to every question about what our main city looks like. Well, no longer! With January's Community being about designing the Mayor of Caer Cyflen, it is high time we show you a bit more about what we want the main hub of our game to look like. As a reminder, these are Concept Art - they represent an intention, not the final product!

p49DpM86EGtuD3ae3txxFTuIPdUoTPelbmfT6qVc.jpeg

Welcome to Caer Cyflen. You will find all kind of people here. Disagreements are solved in coins, or in duels. Any other questions?

21NrvptYVOmy0o9KRF46Z5xwOtiOvDXMQtQa9xPY.jpeg

With three major nations as neighbours, the Embassy Quarter of the Principality is a hot spot filled with diplomats and spies.

We will be sharing in-game screenshots of the city in some future updates. As it stands now, we can already visit it and walk through the streets - but the houses are very grey, the sky is very grey and the ground is very grey. Hey, where did the textures go?

Studio Life

Curious about what's going on at Tactical Adventures' office? Let me share some juicy bits: we're having playtests this week. A few lucky people have been selected to try out the first few hours of Solasta: Crown of the Magister - starting with Character Creation, a little bit of banter in the city tavern and a few tutorials to make sure you're good to go on your epic adventure! Aaaand a fair share of bugs, as is tradition with games that are still in development.

We're also starting to record voices for Act I! Soon enough, our cutscenes will have a whole lot more charm than the silent puppet show we're currently dealing with. Having the party silently staring at you in every cutscene becomes unnerving after a while.

Props

You asked to see more of the little things that make Solasta whole, and we're more than happy to share! Aside from the city of Caer Cyflen, we've also been preparing a whole new level that will remain shrouded in secrecy for now. Can you guess what it will be based on these Concept Art?

DE0pyojSZrBM7omJb0OMDFkQuASdN5w04ATcDVJd.jpeg

yfx8OcVyUKLDjjsQu5KrZAniOo1MOtCxBjlhxU90.jpeg

Monsters & Enemies

You love the wolf, and we do too! Here are its idle animation and its attack animation.

yl0XpXf8wE6JOaCRhjjjFWgPZJddbDIR3haeg14T.gif

Now I may not be proficient in Animal Handling, but I'm pretty sure it's not asking for headpats.

fclNYe9vh4qUuaxY3Xr6RXY7zf6JZEIde4FZuZss.gif

A quick bite and it'll be 2d4+2 less HP for you. That will teach you to underestimate wolves!

It's also time for us to introduce a new foe, which will make good use of our vertical space. Please give a warm round of welcome to what will probably become one of your most hated Solastan enemy... The Flying Snake!

XQdAGPwYbqpx4uoxvDP2Bzy1PqAYijWHz8ONlm9r.png

As if creepy crawly spiders weren't enough, we've brought snakes on board as well. Snake with wings.

cTEVwU9RjVl8wKpTqce06ndls83s5OOe8wGF2rua.png

Are you proficient in CON saving throws? What do you mean, why. I'm just asking, that's all.

ISnsgucJ9KWCttpsRVSvFGVOggccdOnaJ0aH8rSN.png

Did I mention that Flying Snakes are big? Because they are. And they're pissed.

Spells, VFX & Animations

As per tradition, let's end our article with some sparkles and a bang!

L1bAqSqsLoi3zDypnZLfA8lzGeyUPcbu5RGHqgrL.gif

Javelin Throw Animation

rXGmrdvhWwwOZYnmjwUpN8PzaullsSjUm375m4GH.gif

Cure Wounds

I think we're just going to have to accept the spell effects being really showy. At least as the game is thankfully turn based we won't have multiple spells going off at the same time eating the screen.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lastly, PF:KM had a mode called "story mode" where is virtually impossible to die and game journalists still complained by "brought no supplies into a dungeon and had to back track or reload a save.

Funny enough, story mode in P:K was not easy enough for journalists initially and got all "tricky" mechanics like regeneration, Gaze attacks and DR patched out of it with early hotfixs. Questions about difficulty and tutorials were prevalent in all Owlcat's surveys about the game so they are well aware of the problem.

I do not know, how brutal was cutting of mechanics in 4th and 5th edition for D&D and how true Solasta to its source material, but I am afraid that trying to make anything tiny bit less casual and shallow than Original Sin (imho, lowest popular denominator in the TB niche) could result in Meh reaction from "reputable" sources that will hurt a game in the long run.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Lastly, PF:KM had a mode called "story mode" where is virtually impossible to die and game journalists still complained by "brought no supplies into a dungeon and had to back track or reload a save.

Funny enough, story mode in P:K was not easy enough for journalists initially and got all "tricky" mechanics like regeneration, Gaze attacks and DR patched out of it with early hotfixs. Questions about difficulty and tutorials were prevalent in all Owlcat's surveys about the game so they are well aware of the problem.

I do not know, how brutal was cutting of mechanics in 4th and 5th edition for D&D and how true Solasta to its source material, but I am afraid that trying to make anything tiny bit less casual and shallow than Original Sin (imho, lowest popular denominator in the TB niche) could result in Meh reaction from "reputable" sources that will hurt a game in the long run.
5e still have damage reduction and immunities. It’s simple because you have resistance (half damage) or immunity (no damage). For example werewolf in 5e are immune to non silver(or magic) weapon, a single werewolf is a relative weak enemy but impossible to kill if the party lack magic or silver.

Bara

Arcane
Next community vote is for the mayor

Personally hoping for Haldrig as its a two characters for the price of one and seems fun enough.

0UiOoqtQcXxVn63owyWqXEs61E48IofCXgkeRv9C.png

Hear ye, hear ye! The vote will now begin!

Hello there everyone,

The submissions are now closed. First of all, thank you to all participants - we receive no less than thirty nine mayor candidates! We were all very impressed by the overall quality of the submissions, and had a great time reading through all of them. I almost feel like a civil servant of Caer Cyflen, with a fat stack of paper on my desk going through each and every applicant.

Unfortunately, only five will be selected for the final round! Some decisions were very hard to make, and we had some long discussions about who the final fives would be. Now without further ado, here they are in no particular order (you can read their full description below):

1. Kiaradth Bright-Spark, a talented Elven girl who dreams of adventures while insisting that she's not really the Mayor.
  2. Mildra Fernshaper, a ferocious Human lass with a sharp intellect and an even sharper tongue.
  3. Haldrig Skandroksson, a joyful Dwarven fellow who loves to share stories while dumping the more boring duties onto his poor secretary
  4. Gothagara Cragtolm, a wise Dwarven lady with a strong love for books and knowledge.
  5. Molly Saltwash, a charming Halfling girl who idealize the adventuring life and hates being treated like a child.
Contest Rules

1. Voting ends on Monday, February 17th, 11:59pm PST
  2. Anyone with a Forum Account may participate in the voting. Limit of one vote per person.
  3. The winner will have his Mayor implemented in-game and be credited as the designer of the Mayor of Caer Cyflen in the Credits
  4. All of those who wrote a valid submission will also receive a Forum Trophy for their participation to the contest
  5. Necessary disclaimer: We reserve the right to alter submissions or work with their author to fit our design and specifications. You can read the full legal document here (roll Investigation DC15).
Kiaradth Bright-spark

Kiaradth Bright-spark, an elven female of local renown, before the mayorship was rather forced upon her. She is convinced that they will find a real mayor soon, that her temporary service is nearing its end; she’s had these hopes year after year.

In her youth, Kiaradth excelled in practically everything she put her mind to, or rather her hands to, for she is a do-er, not a thinker. Woodwork was her first, and continuing passion, as it was taught to her by her mother and father, who were carpenters themselves. She speaks plainly to strangers, commandingly to her subordinates, but softly to her friends, those who bring her stories. Strong, stubborn, and a minor perfectionist, as a child she passed classes, aced those she liked, and had the whole scope of life before her to explore.

She initially spent some time in the garrisons of Caer Cyflen, and would eagerly await the arrivals of each Imperial Squadron, for they brought with them great tales of adventure. Her dream was to chase those adventures, and bring great fame to the city, and to herself. A dream she still retains to this day, although, as each day passes, she labels it increasing unlikely.

During her years in the garrison, she stumbled up the ranks, often filling in the position of her higher up’s, before being given that place permanently. The high turnover of garrison hierarchy, was caused by the difficultly of the ‘old guard,’ to successfully maintain the true principles of ‘Equality for All’. Over time, corruption seem to seep into the lives of the leaders, the scandal would be publicised, and the leader would consequently, step down, (or worse in some cases.)

It was not until she was offered the position of Mayor, that she realised, just how high she had risen, how much she had accomplished, how much of her life had passed without the adventures she had dreamt of. She initially accepted the post, as an interim position until they found someone more suitable. She suggested looking outside of the garrisons, the clerks, the owners, and more to those who truly represented equality, those whose loyalties were solely to the benefit of Caer Cyflen.

Years of searching, has yielded no-one. In fact, she would still insist that she is not the Mayor, but still just holding the position until they find someone to ‘really’ take over. By no means though, has she neglected her post. The city has become well respected as a bastion of the ‘intent of the law’ rather than law itself. A place where contextual justice, overrides fine-print, and legal deception. This is not without cost. Kiaradth walks the tightrope of balancing the ‘working classes’ and ‘ruling classes’, both attempting to morph true equality to their advantage. Unfortunately there is no other who can walk that line.

Kiaradth is mayor in all but name, still dreaming of adventures, and still finding time for stories from any who come before her counsel.

Mildra Fernshaper

Mildra Fernshaper was born to a family that is rich, strict and traditional. Her grandfather, a talented farmer-turned-merchant, managed to accumulate quite a fortune in his life. Her father used the money to buy himself a name, and slowly advanced his political standing in hopes of becoming an important figure among the ruling party. He raised Mildra to be the perfect ruler, hoping that she would be able to finish his life's work. She was taught all the technicalities: history, law, dispute management and even some military tactics. Unfortunately, Mildra, even as a little girl, never seemed to care much for status and politics. Despite being witty and shrewed; a natural politician, as some would say, her despise towards both the nobility and the simple folk has lead to a lot of criticism and even some enemies.

People who met her as a young girl would describe a bright, tough, sharp-tongued imp with no respect whatsoever to anyone. Eventually, some time before his death, her father managed to list her as a candidate for mayorship. At first she refused, wishing to find her own path in life. But then her father passed away due to a sudden heart attack. He never expressed it, but it lead to her thinking that his last wish was for her to lead as mayor.

And so she fought ferociously for the role, only to be immensely bored with it a few years later down the line.

When the players meet her, she definitely seems unfitting for her role. Rude, obviously bored, cynical and politically incorrect in any way possible, one would wonder how she ended up in this position anyway. A somewhat deeper look would reveal an intelligent, sharp and extremely talented leader, who takes no shit from anyone.

As for her attitude towards adventurers, she doesn't care much for them. As long as they don't cause any mess that might produce more paperwork for her, she's okay with them. However, she does have an eye for potentially useful political tools, should one introduce itself.

Haldrig Skandroksson

Mayor Haldrig is beloved by his people and cares deeply for each and every citizen. Everyone knows when the mayor is in a room because his voice is so unique. He has a Loud & memorable laugh. It erupts from his belly and can vibrate a room. It is often joked you can hear his laugh clear to the next town. His normal voice is friendly, yet efficaciou, and full of bass. When his pitch changes to a more monotone sound you know he is deep in thought or worried.

Haldrig Skandroksson had successful career in the local militia for 79 years moving up in rank quickly. He is well known and honored for winning the battle of (insert relevant battle). But in said battle he heroically lost his left hand and can no longer wield shield and ax. His charisma and renown lead to an offer from the princess to retire from the militia and take the position of Mayor. Loving his home and people he happily accepted the position and views it as a new way to serve his homeland. He was appointed on his 96th bday & has been mayor for 24 years now. He & the princess get along quite well and have a great deal of mutual respect for each other.

Mayor Haldrig loves any chance to host a boisterous celebration or talk about his military days. Witnessing so much death on the battlefield has given him a carpe diam type attitude. He enjoys each day as if it were his last. He views being mayor an honor and part of who he is. He is very welcoming to all newcomers and even offers to show them around personally when they arrive. He has a firm opinion on right and wrong and condones thugs who prey on those physically weaker.

Haldrig is up before the sun most days, a habit carried over from his militia days. He can be found in his office taking care of his mundane duties early so as to have plenty of time for enjoyment later. By lunch he is often out and about. Although he takes his duties as mayor very seriously he often avoids the “boring ” parts. To the annoyance of his halfling secretary (Rosie Swiftwind) paperwork is often deemed less important than walking about town and talking with the citizens. Without Rosie none of the clerical work would get finished on time. If you can catch him in the office, Haldrig has an open door type policy for his citizens if they have a problem or concern.

What are his little pleasures in life? A good Inn & pub can bring great joy to an adventurer & townsfolk alike. Who doesn’t like a quality mug of ale and a tantalizing story to keep you on the edge of your seat? Simple shops with tasty treats & rare trinkets can always bring a smile. But the number one little pleasure in Caer Cyflen is their song birds. These beautiful little birds are native to Caer Cyflen and treasured by the people. To hear one sing brings the most delightful sense of peace.

Gothagara Cragtolm, Mayor of Caer Cyflen

Gothagara Cragtolm is a female Dwarf, in her mature years. She’s not an elderly but has the insight and the wisdom that old wise people can have.

Gothagara has never been an explorer nor an adventurer. The best adventures she could ever expect always have been with books and archives. As a matter of facts, until recently, she and her husband, Thelnur, were archivists and private researchers, owning the largest book collection of Caer Cyflen. That’s why they’re known as being “the memory” of Caer Cyflen and its surrounding parts but also as dwarf lore keepers.

Gothagara didn’t intend to be mayor but was fully devoted to the previous mayor, Lord Hoghton, for she was his First Deputy Mayor. Lord Hoghton died of sickness during his mandate; Gothagara accepted to fulfil her engagements and took the position of Mayor.

Although respected, Gothagara speaks with a strong dwarvish accent and is sometimes made fun of because of that by her detractors. She’s also known for being energetic and scatterbrained, for example forgetting that her glasses are on top of her head while looking for them. But make no mistakes, she never forgets a face or a fact. Some might say that her hectic attitude reveals the fact that she doesn’t like her status of Mayor or isn’t made for it.

On the contrary, those who have a little insight of Gothagara during her working hours could argue with this. She has a tremendous respect for the princess of the Principality of Masgarth, takes her job very seriously and is willing to welcome, serve and understand those who seek her aid. She warmly welcomes strangers and help them, as long as they don’t cause any trouble in Caer Cuflen.

Although being passionate about her current position, Gothagara is realistic: if she doesn't renew her mandate, she and her husband will continue their former activity.

Meanwhile, she’s proud of the city and serves its inhabitants keenly. Her daily routine always starts with a walk along the park then she works until the sun sets. In case of doubts or when she’s stuck with an unsolvable question, she always takes a walk in the park to “clear her mind”.

At the end of the day she enjoys having a cup of tea with her husband and their huge and leisurely watchdog, Tick-Tock. They talk about anything but political affairs, sometimes reading letters they receive from their son, Thevran, who lives in a bigger city, or sharing their impression on various authors. Once a week, she participates in the local book club, “The Speaking Volumes Book Club”, led by Thelnur.

Molly Saltwash

Molly Saltwash is the daughter of fishers and netmakers, who spent her formative years in the marshlands. Though she was accustomed to an often mucky life in the marshes, she dreamt of something more—a grander, cleaner life that could be found in urbanity.

Molly has a knack for wheeling and dealing, and volunteered to negotiate transactions with traveling traders as often as she could. One year, a friendly caravanner—a hill dwarf by the name of Bardi “Butterfingers” Ketilsson—took a liking to the shrewd halfling, and offered to take her along to the market in Caer Cyflen. Once Molly laid eyes on a city—a real city with paved streets, delicately manicured gardens, buildings as tall as the sky—she knew she could never live out her days in the marshland she had for so long called “home”.

After a contentious “good-bye” with her family, Molly moved to Caer Cyflen and rose up in society as a guildswoman, using her wit not only to charm customers but also her competitors. She made enough money for herself, her ventures, and her family.

After a few years, Molly caught the eye of a local government worker, a clerk who had worked with Molly with more than a few inane stacks of paperwork for her various business ventures. Keri Leanbough, a half-elf, invited Molly along to a party hosted by the city’s Master of Coin.

“We may get quite a few noses turned down at us,” said Keri. “But my plan is to be too busy sampling wine to care.” Molly attended the party, and took nicely to this bit of decadence. There, she met the Mayor’s assistant, also in attendance and representing the then-Mayor of Caer Cyflen. Once plied with a few glasses of sparkling rose petal wine, the young human man decided he really liked this Molly and the rest, well, is history.

Molly transitioned into the political sphere, gaining experience by working in the Mayor’s cabinet and then eventually taking the prime seat for herself.

Molly has adopted a more elite way of speech because she feels that suits her station, though a bit of a Marshland accent remains. She has a more authoritative presence than her stature and background would suggest—but where some might command with loud boasts and insult, Molly commands with subtle charm and sharp wit.

Molly also has an ego. She has dealt with a hefty share of condescension due to her background and race. Her temper will reach a boiling point if anyone treats her like a child or a simpleton.

Molly’s adventurous spirit called her from the marshland and she wishes her present duties allowed her more time to travel. She satiates that thirst for new sights and experiences through the tavern tales of adventuring parties who happen to cross her path in Caer Cyflen. She may have an idealized attitude toward the adventuring life and is not totally aware of the dangers it presents.

Molly loves clothes and jewelry. Passing tradespeople with baubles for sale will always catch her eye. However, despite her love of finery, she still enjoys fishing in a pair of comfortable overalls—though she doesn’t have a lot of time for it now. In odd moments of downtime or when she’s mulling over a particularly complex problem, she knits to keep her hands busy. It reminds her of making nets with her family, when she was younger. Her “happy place” is sitting by the shore of a lake, ocean, or even a marsh; her line cast; and a witty friend to keep her company.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the only mayor really fit to rule the kind of town presented on the arts was that NE ex-corsair guy.
Just saying... )

Is that Cure Wounds spell elevated to a higher spell slot? Like the others, it's very flamboyant. Looks like he's about to project a Super-Saiyin grade Kamehameha.

PS: Haldrig is the obvious choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom