Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Generic-Giant-Spider

I might be retarded but is the demo up on Steam yet? Don't see any option to download it on the page.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Generic-Giant-Spider

So far seems decent. I really hate the UI though and the camera movement does feel a bit clunky but I got used to it after fifteen minutes or so. The combat is TB goodness as you'd expect, even has some cinematic shots for all the exciting critical failure results. The giant spiders could use a bit more animation.

Spent a lot of time on character creator and realized you can't use them in the demo build so there goes an hour of my life, tee-hee. But seriously, I hate the UI.

purpleblob

Savant
I tried out the character creation tool and confused about a few things (I'm completely new to 5e):

1. Is there a reason why my character can't get INT higher than 15? I have 12 points capital remaining so that's not an issue.
RxkkkUr.jpg

2. I chose following personality traits: Authority, Egoism, Caution, Kindness (Formal and Causal seem to be default for my character) but only Caution and Kindess is showing up in bottom LHS. I'm assuming these are the 4 most prominent personal traits but I think it should show all 6 instead.

FKbXRuo.jpg

In terms of other impressions - I don't like how once you drop in the "dice roll"s into the each ability slot, it's locked in - should be able to move around the dice freely until you press next.

Also, characters are pretty ugly to look at. Yes, it is important to me - I get a feeling there will be a lot of cutscenes which means you will be spending quite a bit of time staring at your characters.

Mojobeard

Augur
Animations could be even faster if there's this much climbing and jumping. Camera could use some work too. Not sure about some UI choices. And yeah better/more customization options especially if we keep cutting to closeups would be welcome.
Mainly the problem was that nothing stood out? It's mechanically a fantastic 5e cRPG, but just feels very bland. Demo didn't manage to hook me in.

Is there a reason why my character can't get INT higher than 15? I have 12 points capital remaining so that's not an issue.
That's how point buy works in the tabletop version too. They don't seem to want you having ability scores of less than 8 or more than 15 (before racial bonuses).

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yes, I don't know why so many games love this more cartoonish/light hearted style for their characters or world. I've always found it corny and unappealing. How I long for a game to take a more classical D&D art approach from the '80s/'90s.

The demo should have been a bit longer, it's a few trash fights and then it abruptly ends. It's like... two rounds of small spiders, a few orcs after then a final fight against larger spiders. It seems solid but it doesn't try to excite you too much or really get you salivating.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I really hated walking around the map. Jumping and climbing is useless and provides zero value or entertainment. Other than that it was good for a small demo. A level 3 demo at that. I like how they limit rests. Day one purchase but I don't think I'll follow the game too closely until then. But really, fuck walking around that map. It's like some isometric styled assassin's Creed crap.

purpleblob

Savant
I really hated walking around the map. Jumping and climbing is useless and provides zero value or entertainment.

I also think there's too much jumping and climbing. Camera is a bit better than first version of the demo but still needs some more work.

I didn't finish the demo because I'm experiencing some terrible graphical glitches (colours of rainbow everywhere!).

That's how point buy works in the tabletop version too. They don't seem to want you having ability scores of less than 8 or more than 15 (before racial bonuses).

For min-maxing or all around better builds, dice rolling indefinitely would the way to go. Each Attribute score is determined by rolling four dice of six, of which the highest three are taken. Max: 18 (3x6), Min: 3 (3x1). Haven't rolled anything lower than 4 yet though in-game as that is very unlikely. You'd need to roll 4 ones.

Via spending points, you either end up with scores all somewhat above average, or a set of high ones plus a set of low ones. A 15 costs a whopping 9 Points after all, and even a 14 7 Points, so the 27 is quickly spent...

Bara

Arcane
I'm okay with the climbing movement speed but I think I'd enjoy its slow pace more if there are darker environments out there. You'd want to move slower at that point to tread carefully with what light you have.

Going through the last spider encounter was just as fun as the first time. It's going to be a long painful wait till full release.

Also, I forgot that when you pull up the map in Solasta it's UI is so much more visually appealing as it looks like it was drawn on parchment. If only the portraits and skill bar did the same.

Plus dev stream of demo. I don't know if they say anything new in it but they do answer questions. Don't really want to go through two hours vod.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
So far seems decent. I really hate the UI though and the camera movement does feel a bit clunky but I got used to it after fifteen minutes or so. The combat is TB goodness as you'd expect, even has some cinematic shots for all the exciting critical failure results. The giant spiders could use a bit more animation.

Spent a lot of time on character creator and realized you can't use them in the demo build so there goes an hour of my life, tee-hee. But seriously, I hate the UI.
You notice that the demo is all about killing spiders?

Elex

Arbiter

For min-maxing or all around better builds, dice rolling indefinitely would the way to go. Each Attribute score is determined by rolling four dice of six, of which the highest three are taken. Max: 18 (3x6), Min: 3 (3x1). Haven't rolled anything lower than 4 yet though in-game as that is very unlikely. You'd need to roll 4 ones.

Via spending points, you either end up with scores all somewhat above average, or a set of high ones plus a set of low ones. A 15 costs a whopping 9 Points after all, and even a 14 7 Points, so the 27 is quickly spent...
Well you can directly cheat in solasta and put all 20

Generic-Giant-Spider

Species-ism against fantasy spiders must end!

I contacted my local church and demanded they put up a stained glass mural of a giant spider to try and make them a symbol of peace and hope but the bishop said, "What are you, a fucking moron? Get bent, kid. Oh and remember to pray and donate. Dickhead." then he hung up on me.

Just goes to show we have a LONG way to go before giant spiders are accepted in fantasy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I played the demo for 15 minutes. Is it just me or is it very janky still? The camera is terrible during combat, including those zoom-ins. The UI is an assault against the senses. It has D&D combat though, so that's good. Also, are voiced protagonists with their own personalities a thing or is it just for this demo? I'd have preferred Warlock and Druid as classes instead of Ranger and Paladin (or Fighter). Are more languages other than English going to be available at launch?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm so glad we are getting voiced protagonists instead of the missing classes. It looks like they have their priorities straight.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Species-ism against fantasy spiders must end!

I contacted my local church and demanded they put up a stained glass mural of a giant spider to try and make them a symbol of peace and hope but the bishop said, "What are you, a fucking moron? Get bent, kid. Oh and remember to pray and donate. Dickhead." then he hung up on me.

Just goes to show we have a LONG way to go before giant spiders are accepted in fantasy.
Maybe we should make spider shaped staircases so people get used to stepping on them and not mind them so much.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Can I just say how insane it is that this game even exists, If someone told me 4 years ago that we will get a turn-based D&D CRPG that that doesn't fuck up the ruleset for casuals, I would have never believed it.:incline:
The game has been improved since the first demo, I really have no doubt at this point that I will enjoy it once it's finished. The companion system seems very interesting, though it pretty much means you have to play 2 men + 2 women party or else you get conversations where two party members talk with the same voice.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Maybe we should make spider shaped staircases so people get used to stepping on them and not mind them so much.

Yeah it's so funny. Stepping on spiders.

I hope you have tons of flies over the summer in your home and they divebomb into your coffee. Go and rely on your fat and cuddled house pets to try and sort it out, I'm sure they'll be GREAT successes. You need real niggaz like me and the boyz to keep the district honest, but nah, just go play fetch with sum gay azz frisbee or clean a litterbox and pretend WE'RE the enemy.

FUCK you, ERYFKRAD. Nigga's name lookin' like some shit you'd put in an id console. No RESPECK.

I'm so glad we are getting voiced protagonists instead of the missing classes.

Is this true? Dumb shit like VA should never be considered before things that actually matter to your game... especially in a party builder one like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom