Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Solo vs. Party-Based

How you prefer your RPGs?

• Solo

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Party-Based

Votes: 83 68.6%

• Total voters

Laz Sundays

Educated
Ok, "Horserer".

Ysaye

Arbiter
Whilst I can get enjoyment from both, games where you define a party of four or more characters are dying out in favor of single PC games or make one character (typically of the action RPG format) and get a party of NPCs who have to follow some diversity policy put forward by the publishers or they are a JRPG with all the other npcs being calibrated to be a potential Waifu / harem member.

As Dorateen said, the definition of this hobby game genre was grounded in (wargaming) parties, which means a party of characters to complete a quest; and it is part of the game to choose an appropriate team to complete said quest, so I favor that.

Vulpes

Scholar
I prefer solo games. Micromanaging (aka tard wrangling) a party of more than four characters can get pretty annoying, especially when it comes to RtwP combat since most RPGs tend to have terrible party AI and pathfinding.

gooseman

Educated
Full party creation. Pregens are ok, as long as they aren't written by faggots like Bioware and Larian. Solo is fun too.
I think I like co-op multiplayer the most. NWN, Diabloids, something like Gauntlet (I guess it's more of an arcade game, but is vaguely in the area of a diablo precursor) and those beat em up arcade RPGs like Dragon's Crown and Shadow over Mystara. Monster Hunter! I'd kill for proper multiplayer game like Dragon's Dogma (there's the MMO that was revived, but I heard it's worse).

Erebus

Arcane
As far as combat is concerned, party-based games are vastly more to my taste. Preferably a party of six characters, as SSI intended.

Managing a single character in combat (or a character with companions that you can't fully control) is less tactical and more actiongamey. It can be reasonably entertaining, but I often find it too repetitive and not stimulating enough.

I like it either way. I prefer to play solo sometimes, I don't mind if I have a partner later on. Although I like to play in a group too, it is party-based, with AI controlling the party members (Fallout) and me controlling the members (ToEE and Icewind dale).

ShiningSoldier

Educated
I like the way Might & Magic games do that: you have a party, but you control all members as if it was the single character. Because it removes the main issue I have with the most party-based RPGs: making these stupid fuckers to do what you want them to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom