Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Something wicked this way comes..

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
"Site could not be found. Please check name and try again."

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You know, I really hate it when talented design people just want to rub it in and have plenty of time to critiscise us mere-mortals about our inept design ability but don't have enough time to help out and make something we could use.

Bastards.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Fez said:
You've got to watch the Bad Boy points you gather in EU2. Too many and it'll cause you all sorts of problems, like everyone declaring war on you. If you give it a few years in between any actions that will upset the rest of the world, you should be okay. Another tip for conquering large areas is to not forcibly annex land, but to vassalize it instead. If you wait about ten years you can annex it anyway if you still want and you'll suffer much less Bad Boy points and drop in releations with other nations.

Which brings up my major problems with Paradox's rolling time games - you have to wait a loong time in real time between the action, even at fastest speed. The joy of tb is that you can go through turns quickly, or take your time when the heat is on.

Astromarine

Erudite
yes and no. I don't think the wait of years between military campaigns is due to the timing systems, it's just a thing about realism. If, say, the Total War games wanted to implement something like Bad Boy points, they would require just as many turns.

The time it takes to build a unit, or to move around, I feel is just adequate in EU2, for example. It's just the long buildup time before you can invade something else that is slow.

But I'm a n00b. Dunno how the game develops in later stages.

chaedwards

Liturgist
I agree completely with you about the realism. My point is that it takes a lot of real time. I don't enjoy sitting in front of the pc doing nothing but waiting for my gold to come back, although it's perfectly reasonable in game. I have limited enough time to play games as it is without waiting for things to get into a position where I can take an active interest again. As I said, tb games get around this by allowing to go through a turn either very quickly or as slowly as you like - so in Civ you can through a hundred turns in five minutes if it's peace time, or a day if you're in the middle of a major war.

Astromarine

Erudite
I guess I'm still too new. I don't mind mainly because I spend that time reading about what is happening elsewhere, the wars, annexations, and the like. Once I play 5 or so games from the start, I'll probably get to where you're at.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Astromarine said:
I guess I'm still too new. I don't mind mainly because I spend that time reading about what is happening elsewhere, the wars, annexations, and the like. Once I play 5 or so games from the start, I'll probably get to where you're at.

I hope not - perhaps I'm just too impatient, but having about 1hr max to play a day will do that to you... {grin}

Fez

Erudite
EU2 is a huge timesink, especially if you try a Grand Campaign. The Napoleon campaign is more reasonable for time.

LordofFever

Novice
very nice site mEtaLL1x wish I could read it? I saw some screenshots is that an actual independant game of some type because I am a fan of the cyberpunk/shadowrun genre and could use a game to try out.

Vykromond

Scholar
Yeah, that site is quite nice, metallix.

Lordoffever, it's basically a Russian RPG site. The screenshots aren't all from one game, they're from different games.

LordofFever

Novice
no I noticed the different games just took a quick look through, not sure if he knew any of them for download or had a reccomendation for the genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom