Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic the Hedgehog Appreciation Thread

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I would say it's less that Sonic is strictly and only 'about speedrunning', but rather that speedrunning is the scoring of the game. Like most arcade games, you can just play for survival, and probably should to start with, but once you're familiar with the game you can play for score (or speed). But you seem pretty retarded so I'll just assume you don't know what an arcade is.
Why do you have to play for score or speed? What's wrong with playing for the enjoyment of the gameplay? For the fun of finding different paths or secrets you missed before? I spent enough time in arcades to know they were full of pedophiles, drug dealers, half the machines didn't work and the kids who constantly went there were niggers unable to afford a home console because they fed all their money into arcade machines. They were something you put 1 credit into, got as far as you could then walked away because anything else was burning money you could buy on an actual game at home for your console.
:hmmm:

Well, I don't know, it's a Japanese game by a company that made arcade games? American arcades are shit, that's true, but that's irrelevant. Sorry you'll never know the fun of high scores and speedrunning or whatever. You don't have to, and the game isn't making you. But it does want you to.

Falksi

Arcane
Whatever you believe, having videos like that to hand is an admission of your own tranny fetish.
When you finally leave your Mega drive maybe you will discover what a search engine is. The most iconic sonic fan in history is a transexual mother fucker..
I would say it's less that Sonic is strictly and only 'about speedrunning', but rather that speedrunning is the scoring of the game. Like most arcade games, you can just play for survival, and probably should to start with, but once you're familiar with the game you can play for score (or speed). But you seem pretty retarded so I'll just assume you don't know what an arcade is.
Why do you have to play for score or speed? What's wrong with playing for the enjoyment of the gameplay? For the fun of finding different paths or secrets you missed before? I spent enough time in arcades to know they were full of pedophiles, drug dealers, half the machines didn't work and the kids who constantly went there were niggers unable to afford a home console because they fed all their money into arcade machines. They were something you put 1 credit into, got as far as you could then walked away because anything else was burning money you could buy on an actual game at home for your console.
I don't search for things on transexuals like you. It's not my bag.

But you go girl.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I would probably take the grinding pipes out of 3D Sonic. Sonic Adventure 2 had too many. Make it more about steering the hedgehog. Their whole design philosophy with 3D Sonic has been to reduce player input, because they never figured out how he should move. That's why all the pipe grinding is there, why the homing attack is there and why he starts steering on his own after you run into narrow paths or loops. Would be as if in a driving the car suddenly goes into auto-control and you can't disengage until the next section of the track. Playing Sonic in 3D should be kind of like steering a sports car once you go fast enough, jumps influenced by acceleration/momentum. The automation just looks cool, but is not fun.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm bumping this thread as I just replayed Sonic Mania for the first time since its "plus" release, and I need to mention what an incredible labor of love this game is. You can tell that everyone on the team was super motivated to build a fantastic Sonic game, and it shows. I was especially impressed by the graphics and the amount of cool little animations that they put in. For example, I really like how the sign post at the end of the first act of "Mirage Saloon" seems to float in the air, and at the start of the next act, you discover that it was resting on the Heavy Magician's hat the whole time.

Mania feels like a natural evolution of the classic Mega Drive look and I think it is the best looking Sonic game. I also really like the drop dash which is very helpful in certain (admittedly niche) situations. The level design of the remixed levels and the new levels is also very good for the most part. The only original zone I actively dislike is "Press Garden". All in all, Mania is probably my second favourite classic Sonic after 3&K.

Sadly, it has become clear now that we'll probably never get a Mania 2. I still find this a baffling move by Sega, given that they wouldn't even have to build it themselves, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Team Sonic and/or Sega still don't know what to do with Sonic. Has anyone tried that dream team mobile game thing? Is it any good?
I worry that woke infestation will reach Sonic as it has done with the Yakuza games, as there's a throwaway line in Sonic Frontiers where Eggman calls Amy a strong woman, word for word. Despite the last time they interacted was decades ago, and she was a gunpoint hostage.
The Sonic Prime show from Netflix was weak and somewhat woke, although they didn't completely destroy Sonic's character at least.
Then, for the new comics, 2 of the new characters, the wolf sniper and the girl with the prehensile tail have pretty much implied to be lesbos, but OC characters in that comic don't matter until/if they become canon, if ever.
I hope the next main game or the comics won't have increasingly woke stuff.

I don’t get the point of dropping Shadow in without guns.

Funnily for me, I was playing Gunstar Heroes like the week before that Sonic X Shadow Generations announcement, and while playing it I was thinking: Sega could make a game exactly like this today with Shadow the Hedgehog. Side scrolling Sonic with Shadow as a Gunstar Heroes successor. So when I saw they were dropping the gun wielding Shadow into a side scrolling Sonic game I almost couldn’t believe it. But he doesn’t seem to have any fucking guns.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
7nVB4mD.png

I played Sonic Origins a bit, and enjoyed it. It has a mission mode where you do stuff like "kill 15 motobugs in 1 minute" which is quite addictive. Lots of modes basically, including playing stages backward right to left. I didn't follow reviews, so don't know why it had a mixed reception.

S.torch

Arbiter
Sonic should fully RETVRN to its roots. That is, early 2000s vibes with edgy rock and cool character interaction. A complete game dedicated to integrating Shadow, a character that largely contributes to said vibe, is welcome. Hopefully they get some good tunes for him.

:swen:

Beastro

Arcane
Sonic should fully RETVRN to its roots. That is, early 2000s vibes with edgy rock and cool character interaction. A complete game dedicated to integrating Shadow, a character that largely contributes to said vibe, is welcome. Hopefully they get some good tunes for him.

:swen:

They need to make a game around this:

lightbane

Arcane
A new Shadow the Edgeheg game would rock, especially if it's modernized with QoL features. Hell, I would take a remaster or sequel of Tails' Adventure, where he puts down an invading army with napalm grenades and better explosives (they burned his home first, so fair is fair). Unfortunately, I dunno what's the status of Sonic nowadays regarding grim content, which includes Shadow. The IDW comics swing from comedy to grimdark, sometimes in the same issue (which makes it VERY jarring*), and the games' tone varies. Frontiers was quite grim.
I believe Sonic Team has no idea what to do with Shadow nowadays though. Or anyone else for that matter that is not named Sonic (I remember reading some fans considered seeing Shadow doing edgy stuff to be outdated).

*Like that issue where someone brainwashes a pair of kids to be literal bad copies of Sonic and Tails, then subjects them to constant torture over and over, only to brainwash them to erase their memories and subject them to trauma again, just for fun. And then in the same issue, the villain, an Eggman fan, nerds out when he spots Eggman's nostalgic collection of old bots in a way that's supposed to be funny.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Of all the ways in which Sonic has blinked -- lids the color of his arms/mouth/stomach/ears, lids blue -- the ones voiced by Jaleel White were the worst. What did those animators think the white of his part-cyclops eye was?

sonic-cd.jpg

maxresdefault-3387900842.jpg

sonic-blinking.gif

sonic-adv2.jpg

d63czcr-2c0622bb-6490-4d67-b130-e679894901b5.jpg

105-Super-Sonic-mkv-snapshot-06-37-2024-02-27-15-50-23.jpg

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Stopped the video after one minute, downloaded Triple Trouble 16-bit, got all six chaos emeralds by Tidal Plant, exited and went back in to make sure that it saved my progress, was pleased that it even saved my points. Pretty good. Like being able to use the lives that have always been abundant to retry special stages for emeralds.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
It would be interesting to have seen how Sonic might have developed, if they had stuck to 2D, and released something for the Saturn, with it's 2D powerhouse architecture (instead of 3D stuff like "Sonic R"). Essentially Sonic skipped the entire Saturn/PS1/N64 generation, as Sega fucked around developing the cancelled 3D "Sonic X-Treme". They could have released a late side-scroller CD-ROM platformer with a badass sprite palette like "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night".

Ecqx3l7.jpeg
JDsDe7m.png

Sonic Triple Trouble is meant to be a "what if Triple Trouble was released on the Megadrive as a sequel", and Sonic Overture is like a "what if Sega released a full Saturn game"; (it is a prequel to Sonic 1 technically). It's amazing to think that they could have squeezed a late Sonic 4 onto the Megadrive, in it's final years. Here is a bit of alt history, if "Knuckles Chaotix" was a Saturn game as planned instead of a 32X game, then the list of classic titles might have looked like this:
  • - Sonic 0 / i.e. "Sonic Overture" (Saturn) --------------- 1996
  • - Sonic 1 (MD) ----------------------------------------------- 1991
  • - Sonic CD (MCD) ------------------------------------------- 1993
  • - Sonic 2 (MD) ----------------------------------------------- 1992
  • - Sonic 3 (MD) ----------------------------------------------- 1994
  • - Sonic & Knuckles (MD) ----------------------------------- 1994
  • - Sonic 4 / i.e. "Sonic Triple Trouble" (MD) -------------- 1995
  • - Sonic Crackers / i.e. "Knuckles Chaotix" (Saturn) ---- 1995
  • - Sonic Mania (PS4, XB1, PC) ------------------------------ 2017
So many cancelled games, so many missing levels (some of which have returned in Sonic Mania thankfully). We've never asked how fans here would rank their favourite Sonic games? Here is the most upvoted from a Reddit thread for reference:

sd94F9Y.png

For me, "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" is Sonic perfection, perhaps Mania after that. Not sure how I would rank the others. In general the Megadrive games are the pinacle still. Including fan games, then stuff like the Triple Trouble remake would be high.

Mine:
  • - 1). Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  • - 2). Sonic Mania
  • - 3). Sonic Triple Trouble
  • - 4). Sonic CD
  • - 5). Sonic 2
  • - 6). Sonic 1
  • - X). Sonic Triple Trouble (Game Gear)
  • - 7). Sonic Chaos
  • - 8). Tails' Adventure
  • - 9). Sonic Generations
What are your rankings?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
2d games:
  • - 2). Sonic Mania
  • - 3). Sonic 2
  • - 4). Sonic 1
  • - 5). Sonic CD
  • - 6). The rest
3d games:
  • - 1). Sonic Frontiers
  • - 2). Sonic Generations
  • - 3). Sonic Adventure 2
  • - 4). Sonic Adventure
  • - 5). The rest

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
2d games:
  • - 2). Sonic Mania
  • - 3). Sonic 2
  • - 4). Sonic 1
  • - 5). Sonic CD
  • - 6). The rest
3d games:
  • - 1). Sonic Frontiers
  • - 2). Sonic Generations
  • - 3). Sonic Adventure 2
  • - 4). Sonic Adventure
  • - 5). The rest
Breaking it down into 2D and 3D makes sense. I found it really hard to place any of the 3D stuff, because there is such a big difference between 3D Sonic and 2D Sonic, it's like they are different franchises almost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom