Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic the Hedgehog Appreciation Thread

0wca

Learned
This was THE shit back in the day. Played the absolute fuck out of it with a friend.

Same here. Me and a friend got stuck in his house one weekend, without a ride into town. So we loaded up on speed, drank coffee/soda and stayed up for 3 days playing SEGA games, mostly Sonic. By the end of the weekend I was literally hallucinating animated Sonic characters. They were on the dish towels, the carpet, everything was Sonic the Hedgehog. Then I went home, got some sleep and cleared my head by playing some Doom. Ah, the 90s...

Probably took a shower and saw those goddamn underwater air bubbles lol

Parsifarka

Arcane
Looks as embarrassing as the previous one. Not attempting to turn children into cross dressing faggots in current year is not reason enough to praise a contemporary cringe kwan "comedy". Way to waste Carrey and Sonic.

Ash

Arcane
Looks as embarrassing as the previous one. Not attempting to turn children into cross dressing faggots in current year is not reason enough to praise a contemporary cringe kwan "comedy". Way to waste Carrey and Sonic.

Glad I'm not the only one that finds modern comedy cringey and pandering as fuck.

*dramatic EPIC drum snare*
*music cuts*
Sanic: "wait did you steal that from oprah?"
*ZOOM AND CUT*

YES genius commitee member NPC #143, that will catch a laugh from the boring middle-aged audience who watch the oprah winfrey show or simply know of its existence, AND will appeal to the current sociopolitical buzzsphere as she is a strong independant black woman. Give NPC #143 a raise!

...Yes this is totally how I envisioned a Sonic movie to be when I loved the little shit as a kid.

Ash

Arcane
So what you're saying is you prefer lizards to hedgehogs? But lizards are scaly. Hedgehogs are furry, even if spiky too.

Are you saying Gex was pandering and lame equivalent to modern shit? I recall he did play off the spy buzz at the time, back when James Bond was big, but when is secret agents not cool? Maybe he too referenced Oprah or Maury I only ever played one demo don't actually know much about the Gex games. I doubt he matches modern comedy level of lame and pandering however.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
The Sonic movie is complete normalfag trash, especially compared to the great OVA from the 90s. However, I have somewhat of an appreciation for it just because it's not sexually degenerate like the Sonic comic books. Also, I find its humor less obnoxious than the recent 2D animated shorts posted to the Sonic YouTube channel, which have no dialogue but still manage to be aggressively unfunny.

Ash

Arcane
^that's how low we have sunk. "Hey it's complete shit and pandering, but at least there is no sexually degenerate stuff and is obnoxious but isn't as obnoxious as other recent relevant media. I can appreciate that"

And I totally get you too despite not watching OVA nor whatever youtube shit you speak of. It is complete trash but at least it isn't all twerking in your face big black ass, and has some minor degree of nuance and quality to it, even though that degree is like 10%

The forces of decline are unstoppable and overwhelming

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
So what you're saying is you prefer lizards to hedgehogs? But lizards are scaly. Hedgehogs are furry, even if spiky too.

Are you saying Gex was pandering and lame equivalent to modern shit? I recall he did play off the spy buzz at the time, back when James Bond was big, but when is secret agents not cool? Maybe he too referenced Oprah or Maury I only ever played one demo don't actually know much about the Gex games. I doubt he matches modern comedy level of lame and pandering however.
Gex is retarded pop-culture references because lol teebee. He says random unfunny shit which have nothing to with anything, and that's the ‘joke’. Of course it's still a million times better than current-year Hollywood, but.

Actually, what even is the appeal of stupid references? What kind of audience is that intended for? Children won't get it, they won't care, though maybe they'll laugh anyway because who knows. Adults? Either they're nerds who should have a distaste for that kind of thing, or they're normie losers who shouldn't have been invited to begin with. Japanese Sonic didn't have any of that, and that's how it should be.

Falksi

Arcane
Meh. It's a cash in kids film. Not the type of film I'd expect much from. For what it is I think it looks good as they've clearly tried to stick close to the source material to some degree.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Meh. It's a cash in kids film. Not the type of film I'd expect much from. For what it is I think it looks good as they've clearly tried to stick close to the source material to some degree.
Kid films can be good, like Time Bandits or more recently Coraline, they need not be retarded -unless you want to raise retarded children.
Sonic is supposed to be a rocker, a roller, an out-of-controller that actively uses his power to rescue others, yet what we find in the film is an autistic brat with ADHD that lives in hiding and requires the assistance of a regular human adult to avoid being hunted down -that may be a very apt description for the post-Adventure fanbase but it strays far off from what the character is: a hero that kids find cool, not a pet with brain issues.
Really, this film could have been devoted to any random alien character in a cheap rehash of ET.

Falksi

Arcane
Kid films can be good, like Time Bandits or more recently Coraline, they need not be retarded -unless you want to raise retarded children.
Sonic is supposed to be a rocker, a roller, an out-of-controller that actively uses his power to rescue others, yet what we find in the film is an autistic brat with ADHD that lives in hiding and requires the assistance of a regular human adult to avoid being hunted down -that may be a very apt description for the post-Adventure fanbase but it strays far off from what the character is: a hero that kids find cool, not a pet with brain issues.
Really, this film could have been devoted to any random alien character in a cheap rehash of ET.

I don't disagree, but because it's a kids film I've no attachment to it's quality. Coz I'm not a kid, and it's not meant for me.

Ash

Arcane
Wow it DOES reference a talk show host. That's pretty lame. Not surprised it's Crystal Dynamics. When have they not been lame? Still looks cooler than most modern day dumpster fires though.

Crystal Dynamics, Inc. is an American video game developer that was founded in 1992 by Judy Lang, Madeline Canepa and Dave Morris. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area

:hmmm:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
1993 Leprechaun Franchise was launched. Its magically insidious. It became the face of green that blue couldn't stomach. Luigi was driven to madness. Gex was bound to be lunch.

prengle

Savant
What have i unleashed upon this poor little thread
yes we know how badly you want to plow gex while he makes stupid unfunny jokes about mel gibson, but this is an awesome possum thread for fuck's sake

Falksi

Arcane
Who the fuck is Gex?

If Mario & Sonic are the Arnie & Lou Ferrigno of platforming, Gex is limp Larry from the gym who's wife sucks Turkish cocks behind the chippy for the left overs of a Friday night.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom