Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soulstice - Devil May Cry-Like Next Generation Action Game In A Dark Souls-Inspired Setting

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Please play more than 10 levels before you make your retarded opinion and I guess so many weebs like the cringy ass horrendous story!

Joke's on you loser, I like it more the more I play it, while you slurp up the semen-infested opinions and gossip from your favorite Youtubers.
But having Dedicated_Retard talk about cringe is on a next projection level.

image.png

This is your most recent positive post about a game. The rest is incessant whining. Did they overprescribe your estrogen pills?

That will be enough for half you imbeciles to play it I guess.

Good.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
See this is why putting trash in the trash forum is important. Now it attracted the garbage people.
Amen to that brother! I have watched one of the videos Infinitron shared, without any prejudice. First of all, game doesn't feel original. If your protoganist is a gender swapped Guts, your gameplay too similiar to Devil May Cry and your setting tries to imitate Dark Souls... I'll think that developers have no original ideas and they grabbed what they think cool, tried to duct taped everything without a geniune integrity.

Maybe it's gameplay worth the money for the genre's enthusiasts; but for me it's a hard pass. (There is a scene in that boss fight video which you see an extremly cringe version of "Devil Trigger". No man, just... no.)

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Please play more than 10 levels before you make your retarded opinion and I guess so many weebs like the cringy ass horrendous story!

Joke's on you loser, I like it more the more I play it, while you slurp up the semen-infested opinions and gossip from your favorite Youtubers.
But having Dedicated_Retard talk about cringe is on a next projection level.
I take satisfaction in knowing you feel personally attacked because I insulted a garbage game you just started playing.
As for the rest of your tantrum. Yeah.. I don't care. Takes too much effort to rebuke and I don't really have strong feelings about you or the shit you are playing to care enough. So carry on.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Aside from the aforementioned not-ideal audio work, another thing that's frustrating is the amount of invisible walls. I wish they'd let the player have the freedom to fall to their deaths. There's zero need for invisible walls in a game like this.

toughasnails Private requests are $250/pic. $50 extra for bare feet.

Norfleet

Aside from the aforementioned not-ideal audio work, another thing that's frustrating is the amount of invisible walls. I wish they'd let the player have the freedom to fall to their deaths. There's zero need for invisible walls in a game like this.
I think that would make more sense if the camera didnt wildly and abruptly change angles unbidden causing your needed direction of travel to no longer align with any of your possible inputs and completely fucking with any perception of distance or depth.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Took over a year, but I finished it.

Quick Rean review notes:
I don't know how they managed to achieve such phenomenal animations and environmental art work, but it was really captivating. We're talking AAA levels in regards to those.
The characters/story are a mix of Berserk/DMC but with a much lower budget - nothing groundbreaking, but nothing infuriating either. The ghost sister makes things bearable.
The gameplay is just Bayonetta/DMC with a few modern conveniences and a bit slower.
Voiceovers were a bit disappointing, especially because you can tell that the same voiceactors voiced multiple (of the few) characters. But definitely AA quality, they weren't grating or anything.
They really should have made all weapons available immediately rather than staggered.
The camera can go fucking wild at times during fights, as well as some of the endgame platforming. It will get you killed.

The very beginning of this game was fucking brilliant. It was pretty much an endgame flashforward at maximum power, but it was great bait for me to persevere with this game. "Don't do flashforwards, they suck" - WRONG. This game had an awesome flashforward.

The buildup and ending was one of the best I've seen in years. I don't know how they managed to create such an excellent cliffhanger, but it definitely left me wanting a sequel. Really good job on that front.

Arthandas Do you agree with my thoughts?

Arthandas

Prophet
@Arthandas Do you agree with my thoughts?
Yeah, for the most part.

I don't know how they managed to achieve such phenomenal animations and environmental art work, but it was really captivating. We're talking AAA levels in regards to those.
Yes, the environments look stunning. My only nitpick is in the context of the whole game some of them feel a bit samey.
The characters/story are a mix of Berserk/DMC
Actually it's like 95% Claymore and 5% Berserk.
Voiceovers were a bit disappointing
Here I have to disagree, I think they were pretty good (apart from generic soldiers heard in flashbacks). Both sisters are voiced by Stefanie Joosten, when I played the game I thought they were voiced by two different people.
The camera can go fucking wild at times during fights, as well as some of the endgame platforming.
The camera is neither the worst nor the best I've seen in a slasher like this. IMO it was pretty ok for the most part. My biggest issue was not the camera but the visibility during more intense fights. Sometimes it's really tough to see the incoming attacks, especially from offscreen enemies.
The gameplay is just Bayonetta/DMC
I think you're underselling it a little. Any slasher is "like DMC" since DMC basically invented the genre but Soulstice has a lot of unique gameplay elements (aura management, skill trees, special attacks available only during high hitstreaks, block/parry done by the spirit etc) that make it stand on its own.

I also really like the mechanical variety of enemies, there's everything from cannon fodder, fliers, teleporters, slow enemies, fast enemies, melee, ranged, buffers, swarmers, armored...

The soundtrack is pretty sweet too, there are some really good bangers. I even bought the OST but immediately refunded it because it's missing a lot of songs and some of them are different than in-game versions.

If I had to criticize something it would be the weapons. I'm not saying they're bad or anything but compared to crazy shit from DMC, the weapons in Soulstice are a little "too safe" (and could use a larger moveset). Also maybe don't put most of the game's bossfights in the last chapters with very little in between... Oh, and cut down a little on the invisible walls, seems like they're going for a Guinness record or something.

Generally I really like the game (it's an extremely good debut from the studio) and I consider myself a veteran of the genre. Unless they fuck something up, the sequel will be amazing.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
The thrust works like in Ninja Theory's DmC. Double push control stick + attack in direction of enemy is really uncomfortable and makes you thrust in the wrong direction often by being so uncomfortable. This is why Devil May Cry 3 (I played Devil May Cry 1, but don't remember how it controls anymore.) did not assign lock-on to a fucking analog stick like modern games do. By assigning it to R1 they could make it a hold action and prioritize it, allowing for an easy thrust attack.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I wish this game didn't have an orbital camera. That they had built all combat around the cinematic camera. Could have placed it way above when needed, like here:

Soulstice-2024-01-28-16-03-mp4-snapshot-01-14-2024-01-28-17-45-04.jpg

The orbital cam doesn't show you enough. The battle arenas are too big for it, and for the smaller ones, why would you use an orbital cam when the cinematic cam would show all the enemies? Instead of focusing on the enemies, you're constantly fighting the camera. Devil May Cry 3 didn't need an orbital cam. God of War trilogy didn't.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Can't figure out how you're supposed to fight the giant head. Getting irritating.

Like the look of the city. Hoping for other types of environments, though.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is one of the only games I've ignored on steam after playing the demo.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I hate wandering around aimlessly in the memories as the younger girl. Story, story, story, white developers just can't help themselves.

2024-02-18-20-02.jpg

Worst is when she says, "I'm almost..." Then you move too far and don't know where "almost" was because it all looks the same!

Arthandas

Prophet
I hate wandering around aimlessly in the memories as the younger girl. Story, story, story, white developers just can't help themselves.
IMO it was a nice break from all the running and fighting. I just wish those sections would be a little more varied mechanically instead of all being the same.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Use the ripples next to her to guide you.

image.png

Ezekiel

Arcane
Lute: "Do you ever wonder what might have become of us?"

Briar: "There's no use in thinking about that."

Something like that. Repeated a few times already over my twelve hours and in this level they said it TWICE. That's the problem with every developer now believing that any story-driven game needs a partner to talk to. There's not enough to talk about. God of War 2018 had no music in most of the exploration, because they thought it would distract from the talking, but that (among other factors) made it more boring than the original trilogy.

Arthandas

Prophet
Yeah, some of them repeat quite a bit but having a companion in a game like this was quite refreshing. The least they could do is make her not repeat the same shit twice in the same level.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't know why developers keep putting in color-coded enemies that require specific weapons. They didn't learn after DmC, didn't learn after God of War (2018) and Soustice does it the worst of all because it takes up replenishing energy.

Finished mission 15. Have done every secret minigame I've found so far. Hard mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom