Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soys Row 2022

orcinator

Liturgist
I never played a Saints Row game, because they always looked like declined nigger shit, but apparently even this can be raped? Lel. Watch half of the Codex buying it anyway.

:happytrollboy:
Watch Buck Breaking

I tried SR2 a year or so ago on Codex recommendation. I didn't get far because the tone irked me (just felt far too edgy and tryhard for edginess' sake, also I largely dislike "gangsta" stuff), but I'm sure I would have found it hilarious if I played it when I was 15 instead of when I was almost 40. That said, I'm glad I don't have any fondness for the franchise because it would almost certainly bother me to see such an extreme level of franchise suicide, but as it is I can just bust out the popcorn.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Never played a Saints Row before and have no interest in buying this one.
I'm still pretending to be a die hard fan on Twitter and exclaiming how they've ruined the series forever though.

The Drama is more fun than those shit games ever were. :smug:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's worth playing SR2 as a baseline because it starts off so trashy but the rest of the series gets more and more high-brow. And it calls back to the earlier games as it and the characters in it grow up to be more mature. By SR4 it's almost high art.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
The best part about this trainwreck is watching millennials have a breakdown crying that its ZOOMERGAME!!!11one

No. Its not. Its made by millennials that have de-aged themselves a decade and playing out a powerfantasy of their youth. Its made for those burnouts and freaks. I know, you are assmad because you fall in that age bracket but to me there are two distinct groupings of Millennials. Millennials (Dial-up) and Millennials (iPhone/Facebook) but you fucking KNOW that this is made by that latter group for themselves and not for zoomers.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

You know a woke game is shit is when even Kotaku can't defend it. Soys Row is going to bomb hard even with the woke crowd.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No. Its not. Its made by millennials that have de-aged themselves a decade and playing out a powerfantasy of their youth.

Saints Row 1-4 were for Millennials and their real life power fantasy was Occupy Wall Street. This is obviously meant to appeal to zoomers, but older people humiliating themselves in an attempt to appeal to a younger demographic has been happening for decades.
fellowkids.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Wait a minute, a character is a girl that wanted to be an antropologist ends being a car mechanic for a gang? It is like they written some traits on a paper with cranyons then thrown dice to see what character should have each trait.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

The comments on the video are gold.

Somebody call Google, their interns are trying to start a gang.
If this is a reboot, you need to turn it off and back on again.
Imagine having thousands of people saying we will throw money at your company if you just make the game this way and then they still somehow fail epically.
I'd rather watch Sonic The Hedgehog Before his CGI was reworked
The irony of making characters to appeal to the people who would cancel this series is Sue Perb.
The villain gang looks more like Saints than the actual Saints
So devs are removing anything offensive from the game, which means that we'll see first ever politically correct criminals?
You know you're not going to enjoy the game when you have more empathy for the bad guys than the protagonists.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
The entire premise is that these are college students that are starting a gang empire to pay off their student debt.... Why would criminals pay off their student debt using funds from a criminal empire? You don't think the government won't know where the money came from? Pure decline.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
The entire premise is that these are college students that are starting a gang empire to pay off their student debt.... Why would criminals pay off their student debt using funds from a criminal empire? You don't think the government won't know where the money came from? Pure decline.
Oh God, I bet they are going to have some ham fisted commentary about how America needs to use their tax dollars to pay for kids going to college or how America needs student loan forgiveness. Sorry but I think my eyes fell out of my skull after rolling them too much.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Oh God, I bet they are going to have some ham fisted commentary about how America needs to use their tax dollars to pay for kids going to college or how America needs student loan forgiveness. Sorry but I think my eyes fell out of my skull after rolling them too much.

You can guarantee it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait a minute, a character is a girl that wanted to be an antropologist ends being a car mechanic for a gang?
The entire premise is that these are college students that are starting a gang empire to pay off their student debt.... Why would criminals pay off their student debt using funds from a criminal empire?
To be fair, ideas this dumb would not have been out of place in SR3 or 4.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Wait a minute, a character is a girl that wanted to be an antropologist ends being a car mechanic for a gang?
The entire premise is that these are college students that are starting a gang empire to pay off their student debt.... Why would criminals pay off their student debt using funds from a criminal empire?

It actually was out of place in SR3 and 4.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Don't worry guys, this game will surely get 2021 Game of the Year just like The Last of Us 2 solely based on its woke Leftist politics and being a self insert Mary Sue power fantasy for gaming journalists and Blue Checkmarks on Twitter.

<Insert shit Woke Game Here>

Game Review Websites: 9.5 / 10

User Reviews: 3 / 10

Hmm I wonder what's wrong with this industry...

DeepOcean

Arcane
For Saint's Row 3/4 sure, for Saint's Row 2, nope, and they should be trying to revive their best not to double down on what was already not working on Saint's Row 3/4. The situation is completely different from that time, they dont need to do bullshit to attract attention away from GTA, people are really looking for a GTA style game without Rockstar's inanity and decent gameplay.

A fun gangsta game with over the top characters doing a standard hood war for control with other gangs again would be an excellent reboot and people would shower them with money. Even assuming you are right and they could implement this idea on an interesting way, they wont do it, because they already said on the interviews, the student loan thing isnt a parody thing but a source of drama to be taken seriously because they want to "relate" with the kids.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
For Saint's Row 3/4 sure, for Saint's Row 2, nope, and they should be trying to revive their best not to double down on what was already not working on Saint's Row 3/4. The situation is completely different from that time, they dont need to do bullshit to attract attention away from GTA, people are really looking for a GTA style game without Rockstar's inanity and decent gameplay.

A fun gangsta game with over the top characters doing a standard hood war for control with other gangs again would be an excellent reboot and people would shower them with money. Even assuming you are right and they could implement this idea on an interesting way, they wont do it, because they already said on the interviews, the student loan thing isnt a parody thing but a source of drama to be taken seriously because they want to "relate" with the kids.

I respectfully disagree on it being a fit for SR 3 & 4. Mainly because SR was about them dealing with being superstars in the world and having to rescue the world in 4. Student loan debt wouldn't work in those games. That was the thing is that SR1-GooH are a complete storyline and was designed that way. To go from street punk that was betrayed to being savior of the world in four games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

If they're college students, surely they're informed enough to know how to launder the money.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Student loan debt wouldn't work in [SR 3-4].
I didn't mean that specific hook would have worked with the plots of SR3 and 4 - it wouldn't - but the problem with the idea isn't that it's too dumb or too unrealistic. Same with an archaeologist-turned-mechanic. "That's too implausible" were words never spoken in the writers brainstorming sessions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom