Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Well, this is awkward.

Using some of the EA money, I've contracted a PR company for the launch campaign and they sent out a press release according to their plan. It seems it did not reach Codex. And because I've postponed the launch dates so often, I sort of did not want to explicitly barge in and promise yet another date.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Using some of the EA money, I've contracted a PR company for the launch campaign and they sent out a press release according to their plan. It seems it did not reach Codex.

It didn't even reach your own Twitter account...

Seems like you're paying for an announcement you didn't want to make.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Well, this is awkward.

Using some of the EA money, I've contracted a PR company for the launch campaign and they sent out a press release according to their plan. It seems it did not reach Codex. And because I've postponed the launch dates so often, I sort of did not want to explicitly barge in and promise yet another date.
you shoulda given me that money instead. i woulda done about the same but i dont pretend to be a professional in pr

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Using some of the EA money, I've contracted a PR company for the launch campaign and they sent out a press release according to their plan. It seems it did not reach Codex.

It didn't even reach your own Twitter account...
Right...

Errr, as I said, it's awkward. I wanted to do a nice little video or GIF but sort of didn't, so I posted nothing.

Clearly the marketing campaign started splendidly.

Well, this is awkward.

you shoulda given me that money instead. i woulda done about the same but i dont pretend to be a professional in pr

I think it's me who screwed up here.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
What those PR companies do what you could not do yourself?

That's the point - *they* can do what I would've had to do myself. Sending emails, posting on social networks etc. is a lot of work and takes time. This close to the release, I think it's a good idea to try to delegate things.

Plus, I did that myself before; I wonder if they can do better, perhaps they have better and larger contact sheets. Will see! EA launch I did all by myself.

BTW, it seems they did get coverage here:

RPGamer: https://rpgamer.com/2023/08/post-apocalyptic-rpg-space-wreck-fully-releasing-in-october/
RPGjeuxvideo: https://www.rpgjeuxvideo.com/news-space-wreck-sortie-datee/
RPG Gamers: https://rpggamers.com/news/space-wreck-a-stellar-fallout-inspired-odyssey
Saving Content: https://www.savingcontent.com/2023/...ce-wreck-leaves-early-access-on-october-10th/

Nothing groundbreaking but most of them I hadn't reached before, so that's not bad. And it did result in some additional wishlists:

1692674593696.png

Last edited:

Joseph King

Literate
This looks pretty interesting. What's the philosophical balance between combat and technical/social/stealth skill use like? Will you miss out on most of the content by focusing on combat?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
This looks pretty interesting. What's the philosophical balance between combat and technical/social/stealth skill use like? Will you miss out on most of the content by focusing on combat?

In short - depends on your character build but probably not that much.

TL;DR

Space Wreck is built upon the idea that you cannot play/experience it all in a single play-through. That is, in direct contrast to, say, Skyrim where you can join every faction, complete every quest and visit every settlement with the same character. Not so much here, because there are not only self-excluding quests but even entire plotlines with locations, NPCs and quests that are written in separate story forks. In a single play-through, IF you do everything, you can, at most, see 60% of the whole game. But that's only the choice part: you get left out of quests or stories just because of your character build. For example, longer dialogues can turn into "blah blah blah" if your FOCUS is critically low (1). Or you even won't be able to talk to people with low CHARM or speech. Computers can crash if you have scitec 1. And so on.

The idea is that this game is intentionally short and you can quickly replay it with a different character, with different choices.

Having said that, if you don't leave 1s in your stats (and grab some alcohol), you'll probably be able to talk to everyone, and at least access computers without crashing them. Quests have, by definition, multiple solutions, so if you cannot do scitec approach, there is probably an alternative. All in all, I think you won't be "missing" content as much as "looking for alternative solutions" which is, in fact, the intended gameplay.

Trithne

Erudite
Quests have, by definition, multiple solutions, so if you cannot do scitec approach, there is probably an alternative. All in all, I think you won't be "missing" content as much as "looking for alternative solutions" which is, in fact, the intended gameplay.
One thought I have on that:

Does this result in the FNV/nu-DX system where there's almost always a quest solution that requires no skill investment, and invariably ends up being the metapath?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Does this result in the FNV/nu-DX system where there's almost always a quest solution that requires no skill investment, and invariably ends up being the metapath?
Yeeees...? You make it sound like it's not a good thing.

I call it a "canonical" solution. The idea is that even if you fail every skill check, you can find a way to progress (without combat). Having said that, though, worth noting that this canonical solution is not necessarily obvious - I think player has to work for it. In practice, you must explore the level and perhaps figure something; in a way, if you fail everything, it becomes an adventure game.

Trithne

Erudite
Yeeees...? You make it sound like it's not a good thing.

I call it a "canonical" solution. The idea is that even if you fail every skill check, you can find a way to progress (without combat). Having said that, though, worth noting that this canonical solution is not necessarily obvious - I think player has to work for it. In practice, you must explore the level and perhaps figure something; in a way, if you fail everything, it becomes an adventure game.
So, it's possible to complete the game with stats of 1 across the board and avoiding doing any skill checks if you found (or already know) the canonical solutions?

I'm not saying it's necessary a bad thing, as you say it makes the game more of an adventure game than an RPG at that point.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I haven't tried that but I guess, yes, 1-stat run should be doable. You'd be role-playing a Useless Steve character :D.

However, now that I think of it, there is some randomness that can derail your carefully planned route - e.g. hostile cambots that you must sneak around their patrol routes and time the movement. So it's a stealth / adventure game.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.gamespress.com/Hardcore-post-apocalyptic-RPG-Space-Wreck-receives-a-story-trailer

September 20, 2023Pahris Entertainment, a Latvia-based duo, reveals the story trailer of their hardcore post-apocalyptic RPG Space Wreck. The video shows the game’s moody setting – a desolate space station 20 years after a major conflict – and sets up your mission of finding a fuel chip.

Players will experience the game’s non-linear plot and see the consequences of their actions very soon – Space Wreck is releasing on October 10, 2023.

Space Wreck story trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzRDIGQH2oE

Space Wreck is inch wide but miles deep — an intentionally short, yet surprisingly extensive RPG that supports multiple gameplay styles, including completely non-lethal routes. To achieve this vision developers spent a year refining Space Wreck mechanics via Early Access on Steam, where the game accumulated a Very Positive rating from 87% of players before its full-fledged release.

Space Wreck Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063540/Space_Wreck

Last edited:

PlayerEmers

Novice
oooh this is coming out in a couple of weeks
good work Kamaz
going to check the demo first to make sure i can play on the steam deck but i will buy it in any case

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom