Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I like the floating-spaceman one

Good point, perhaps Codex too could help us choose some promo assets?

1. Floater

amYLQCE.png

2. Passenger shuttle
YL57AtC.png

3. Someone in front of a planet
I9oFosE.png

Which one does tingle your "retro space RPG in space" nerve?

Modron

Arcane
I'd be tempted to say 3 if that facial expression didn't say I just smelt a fart so I guess 1.

Üstad

Arcane
I like the floating-spaceman one

Good point, perhaps Codex too could help us choose some promo assets?

1. Floater

amYLQCE.png

2. Passenger shuttle
YL57AtC.png

3. Someone in front of a planet
I9oFosE.png

Which one does tingle your "retro space RPG in space" nerve?
First one definitely. The second one is too neutral, for lack of better word and the third one barely evokes curiosity.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are some early reviews already. Actually, very balanced:

a negative one:
https://gameluster.com/space-wreck-review-a-time-and-a-space/
Quoting some for the laughs:

Jordan Dube said:
Most actions and important dialog choices involve dice rolls that affect your stats to see if you’re able to complete the actions. Why this system is not for me in a video game sense is that it disregards all the hard work you put in. You could be collecting a lot of equipment and doing everything to the best of your ability, but if you can’t pass a dice roll then you are completely blocked from progressing. It amazed me when I saw this. I only had one chance to hack computer systems so if I failed I couldn’t complete my main task (I actually didn’t know my main task, the descriptions in Space Wreck are completely vague and unhelpful). If Space Wreck was trying to be a TRUE RPG then there would be a lot more give and take in the outcomes, or ways to try to recover from the outcome. Also, if it’s trying to be an RPG, why does it require you to sneak around and attack in real time? There’s not a warning in how enemy battles are going to go, and even though the game hints that you can avoid combat totally, it is almost impossible to not trigger it.

A lot of the map, especially when entering a new location for the first time, is very hard to navigate through. New areas have a fog laid over it, which doesn’t go away until you enter that room. Contextually this makes sense, because many RPGs don’t give away what’s in a room until you enter them. The problem with the fog and other world elements is the user experience.

5/10

Jinn

Arcane
Jesus, man. I sometimes consider becoming a game reviewer myself just to combat the sheer incompetency on display in the "profession" as a whole. This one really is on another level though.

Jinn

Arcane
Underrail would have been in development for at least 20 more years if it had reactivity anywhere near this, and we would have been looking at Infusion coming out maybe in 2050? Though that might still be the timeline for Infusion at the rate we're going...

Sadly the tradeoff here is that this is about 1/15th the size of Underrail. But yeah, much, much less combat oriented, and way more skillcheck oriented. Closer to AoD in comparison, I'd say.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was just looking at the visuals, I'll watch Morty's review later tonight I guess
Underrail is a long combatfag game (with quite a developed story, but only if you want to follow it) with relatively little reactivity.

Space Wreck is a short game built around reactivity and replayability. There are many ways to proceed through the game, many of them do not even require combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom