Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
If GOG get their shit together, I'll try it and find out. The new version appeared in my library, but there is no way to download the thing, lol.

They borked the release completely, because still same problem for me. Worse is, that the shop says I don't own it and gives me the buy option.

So be careful, bros. If you own old.Spellforce 3 you own this, even if gog says otherwise.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
On the GOG store page for this it says it releases today, so maybe we'll get it today.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, I'm downloading it now from Galaxy, but I can't get the offline installers from GOG's website. GG GOG. It seems this isn't an update to the old one, but a different thing entirely, so I have to download 40GBs again.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
For me that would take a while. I'd gave to dl each part to my phone then transfer to computer. I hate my lack of internet.

... or hike to library with my rucksack and laptop and dl it there.

damn my hobo-LIFE. DAMN ME TO HELL!!!
:evilcodex:
wait? Who wears a sweathoodie in hell?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm playing it right now and it's something alright. Someone at the dev studio had massive nostalgia cravings and made the UI like from 15ish years ago.

Old UI -

TAYXsHO.jpg
New ui -

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Lacrymas

Arcane
Soul Harvest and Fallen God are standalone expansions, yes. But you have the option to combine them in one game with the Reforced update as far as I can see.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, you can't get the offline installers yet, but I managed to install it through Galaxy.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
If GOG get their shit together, I'll try it and find out. The new version appeared in my library, but there is no way to download the thing, lol.
--
And that is still an issue. I see the same damn thing.

Yes, same here. Gog store still says I don't own it.
I was able to install it via galaxy though.

Edit: Ninja'd by Lacrymas

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Posted in the Spellforce section but their image attachments suck. They need to update their forums.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I'm playing it right now and it's something alright. Someone at the dev studio had massive nostalgia cravings and made the UI like from 15ish years ago.

Old UI -

New ui -

LOL I am like 99% sure they just made the UI a lot bigger because of consoles, nothing to do with nostalgia.
Also on a completely different note. I am very confused, own the base game and BOTH expansions on GOG and it still says I don't own the Reforced. Also would i need to download all three games separately or what?

Lacrymas

Arcane
GOG is a mess right now. They don't have offline installers, some people report that it says they don't own it, you can't get the expansions to register in Reforced, etc. It's probably a waiting game with GOG atm. The new UI is quite jarring too. Nobody needs half the information on screen and you have two sets of the exact same portraits in there.

Eh, people like to wank over the fact that GOG "is teh only one achtually DRM free" but for all intents and purposes that never made a lick of difference and as a service/client it has been shaky for a while (and yes, I mean even after Galaxy was introduced).
Honestly I can hardly think of a single thing it does better than Steam, aside for "uniting all your libraries in one place" in a fairly pointless and spectacularly dysfunctional way.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh, people like to wank over the fact that GOG "is teh only one achtually DRM free" but for all intents and purposes that never made a lick of difference and as a service/client it has been shaky for a while (and yes, I mean even after Galaxy was introduced).
Honestly I can hardly think of a single thing it does better than Steam, aside for "uniting all your libraries in one place" in a fairly pointless and spectacularly dysfunctional way.

Well, GOG has offline installers. I never ever used their client, I don't care about "game libraries", I only just download the installers. That's a huge difference compared to Steam, the downloaded files are yours forever. With these online services (not just for games) where you don't "own" the files, anything can be revoked at any moment and that's it.

Well, GOG has offline installers. I never ever used their client, I don't care about "game libraries", I only just download the installers. That's a huge difference compared to Steam, the downloaded files are yours forever. With these online services (not just for games) where you don't "own" the files, anything can be revoked at any moment and that's it.
It's a trivial difference that borders into complete irrelevance.
GoG has "offline installers", but should the service ever go down for good without having a backup saved you'd be left with downloading a pirated copy of it.
Steam has in-client-only installation, but should the service ever go down for good it's trivially easy to bypass this requirement and create a "DRM-free" installer. Also, a lot of games on Steam can already run without the client in background to begin with, if you go to the direct executable.
The difference between a GoG copy and a Steam copy "downloaded in the wild", so to speak, is virtually inexistent.

So the direct comparison between the two clients makes more sense in what they offer in practical terms when it comes to features, options, reliability, support, etc. And it's honestly not even close. One has experienced constant growth and improvement for the past 20 years (with some big additions just recently, too, like the support for remote co-op with a single copy), the other is already on shaky legs today.

Parabalus

Arcane

Old UI -

New ui -

LOL I am like 99% sure they just made the UI a lot bigger because of consoles, nothing to do with nostalgia.
Also on a completely different note. I am very confused, own the base game and BOTH expansions on GOG and it still says I don't own the Reforced. Also would i need to download all three games separately or what?
This 'new' UI was in both of the expansions already.

ArchAngel

Arcane
2 pages of people bitching about GoG and no posts about how the old campaign plays now...

I never finished the original game due to a game stopping bug that I could only fix if I load save that is 4h older after which I decided to wait for a patch and then later deleted the game to make space on HDD for some other ones. I guess now I have to play it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom