Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - strategy RPG from Fantasy General 2 devs - Weaver's Realms expansion coming September 30th

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm surprised it comes out so soon too. I suppose they want to give us enough time to buy this before AoW4 comes out ;d

lycanwarrior

Scholar
The turn-based battles will definitely make it much more manageable and hopefully enjoyable compared to the RTS sections in the regular Spellforce 3 games.

Geckabor

Savant
The year of the Strategy RPG.:incline:

Also, why can't other RPG/Strategy hybrids be in GRPG?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Age of Wonders series, Thea series, Eador: Genesis (and maybe HOMM). Is this title more of an RPG than those?
But then again, I suppose it doesn't really matter.
None of these are hybrids ;d Conquest of Eo is probably not a hybrid as well, depending on a few things, but we haven't seen any more gameplay than the very short demo they gave out to youtubers, so we can't judge what is happening there.

Geckabor

Savant
This is out now.

I'm going to try this and maybe post some of my thoughts later. One thing I'm worried about is that the release date seemed like a direct reaction to AoW4's release date, so hopefully this isn't going to be too bug-ridden, but we'll see. It definitely looks like massive incline.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Surprisingly non-retarded pricing and a -20% launch discount on top of that, huh. This is what not being on slitherine does to your brain.

Lacrymas

Arcane
One thing I'm worried about is that the release date seemed like a direct reaction to AoW4's release date, so hopefully this isn't going to be too bug-ridden, but we'll see.
I don't think so. I've had limited insider knowledge of this game's development and it was pretty much done a while ago. Not that there weren't bugs like 2 weeks ago, but still.
Surprisingly non-retarded pricing and a -20% launch discount on top of that, huh. This is what not being on slitherine does to your brain.
Too bad GOG doesn't have the discount ;d

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
One thing I'm worried about is that the release date seemed like a direct reaction to AoW4's release date, so hopefully this isn't going to be too bug-ridden, but we'll see.
I don't think so. I've had limited insider knowledge of this game's development and it was pretty much done a while ago. Not that there weren't bugs like 2 weeks ago, but still.
Too bad GOG doesn't have the discount ;d
Its on discount on GOG and you get Lords of Magic: Special Edition along with it. Its 23,99€ on GOG, Steam and Epic, at a 20% discount.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems this game requires Win10.. I guess I will not be playing it afterall.. I do not need to play is that much that I want to first spend 5+ hours backing up and then reinstalling everything from zero.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
The recommended requirements include i7-10700K and RTX 2080, yikes.

Wondering if that is just for 1080p resolution, ouch.

Aarwolf

Learned
I just bought it for ~15,5€ on instant gaming, very good pricing. I hope it will turn out good.

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
Seems this game requires Win10.. I guess I will not be playing it afterall.. I do not need to play is that much that I want to first spend 5+ hours backing up and then reinstalling everything from zero.
You could test a "free" version to see if it works, some games still run on Win7 despite officially requiring Win10. As long as you have 64bit, and did updates on other dependencies(DirectX, .Net) once in a while.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
My very initial impressions are that this gaem is heavily inspired by Age of Wonders 3 in its mechanics and therefore gut.

Looks and runs nice, the are is pleasant, the combat feel (animations and effects) is so so.

The UI looks a bit "cheap" and unfisnished at times, but is definitely useable. I'm just astonished that a lot of people still don't seem to get that implementing right click as backspace is a good idea and it pisses me off.

The quests I did so far all have (text based) choices.

Will report further, but I like what I see so far.

Geckabor

Savant
Thoughts + observations:
  • Beautiful artwork - loading screens, your spell book, icons...
  • Most units level up until lvl15 and you can select traits/upgrades each level. I love this and I wish more games in this genre had deeper unit leveling. Apparently there's also a more impactful upgrade every 5 levels?
  • Normal units might be tiered from 1 to 3.
  • Apprentices and heroes exist and have equipment slots in addition to glyph slots, which normal units can also use. Glyphs are similar to AoW: Planetfall modifications.
  • Units can also interact with the map (gathering harvestable items, setting up a lodge with your apprentice to expand your domain).
  • A lot of the systems remind me of Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic or Age of Wonders 3, to be honest.
  • Magic system is cool and features summoning, terraforming and you unlock other neat stuff like making your tower fly around to move your main base.
  • Combat has a 3 AP system with flanking (no retaliation + extra damage) + stuff like overwhelming an enemy unit by using up its AP (due to retaliating). Two tier 1 units were able to beat my tier 2 creature in a battle due to these mechanics.
  • I think the map is handcrafted and the game is more focused on story choices and questing rather than pure conquest with randomised maps. This might be incline for some and decline for others.
  • Factions exist and can grant you quests, units, trading, etc.. Actions and choices can increase or decrease your relationship score with factions.
  • Items, your class and probably other factors can affect choices in encounters/quests in some ways (skipping a fight for example).
  • Your class adds an extra mechanic to the game. I picked alchemist so I can craft and use fairly flexible consumables (healing, certain type of damage, summoning) in my fights. You also need to experiment and discover the recipes yourself.
  • Your wizard (you) + your tower also have a sort of leveling up mechanic, increasing the amount of "rooms" your tower has and also the amount of mana you can spend per day.
  • The amount of units you can have in a stack can increase as you (your tower/wizard) level up.
Only 3 hours in but I've had quite a bit of fun so far.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Already bought it, seems like an almost certainly good time.

Now if there was only more time to go through the backlog....
:negative:

The lack of a quest log seems absurd, but the dev said in a stream today that they had to cut that feature as they were running out of time.
But will add that feature if the game becomes successful enough to keep working on it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can create your own wizard and there's one magic school that isn't used by any of the premade ones - mentalism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom