Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
One more ZRP question:
Has anyone played it (1.07 version) with potato SoC?

the release of soc with the polish text localization and the lektor? it should work. ZRP only does qol of life improvements and bug fixes

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
One more ZRP question:

the release of soc with the polish text localization and the lektor? it should work. ZRP only does qol of life improvements and bug fixes

Lektor? This is the most retarded thing about Polish public television. Why anyone would want this in a video game is beyond me.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
One more ZRP question:

Lektor? This is the most retarded thing about Polish public television. Why anyone would want this in a video game is beyond me.

cd projekt did the polish translation for shadow of chernobyl. they used a lektor for nostalgia reasons i think

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Anomaly is probably the best Stalker game you can play right now, especially if you're into modding the experience even further.

Strong disagree. Anomaly is doing very very good things but it still fucking DOESNT GET IT. Still has a retard economy based around being a professional trash collector and artifacts and artifact hunting (the very essence of stalkan) are still close to worthless... the lack of urgency towards changing this shows anomaly is made by guys that fundamentally dont understand stalker and thats right because a lot of these guys loved MISERY and hated vanilla. I get the feeling a lot of the anomaly fanbase would be deliriously happy if they turned it into escape from tarkov at this point.

Every time i play anomaly im impressed by the visuals and especially the audio and all the neat new features and thennnn..... i drop it after about 30 minutes.

Conversely i am 10 hours into yet another NLC7 playthrough in spite of its AWFUL translation.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
call me crazy but i think call of the zone is better because the generated quests feel more meaningful and diverse

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anomaly is probably the best Stalker game you can play right now, especially if you're into modding the experience even further.

Strong disagree. Anomaly is doing very very good things but it still fucking DOESNT GET IT. Still has a retard economy based around being a professional trash collector and artifacts and artifact hunting (the very essence of stalkan) are still close to worthless... the lack of urgency towards changing this shows anomaly is made by guys that fundamentally dont understand stalker and thats right because a lot of these guys loved MISERY and hated vanilla. I get the feeling a lot of the anomaly fanbase would be deliriously happy if they turned it into escape from tarkov at this point.

Every time i play anomaly im impressed by the visuals and especially the audio and all the neat new features and thennnn..... i drop it after about 30 minutes.

Conversely i am 10 hours into yet another NLC7 playthrough in spite of its AWFUL translation.

It all stems from the fact that there is no other way of creating difficulty in Stalker except to hinder your progression and make everything hard and expensive to get. Artifacts need a rework to be more useful, not necessarily to generate more income since then you would be artifact hunting for half a hour and buying an exo otherwise. It's not an ideal system but I understand that there is not much else that can be done if you don't want to be in the "End game" in a hour, since Stalker has no classic RPG system that would let you advance through xp or something. That is the fact why modifications after CoC became more and more hardcore, in vanilla CoC you could witness a firefight and get uber gear by just scavenging. Also, if you take it canonically there would be no stalking except getting an artifact or two and getting the fuck out of the Zone with your cash.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

It all stems from the fact that there is no other way of creating difficulty in Stalker except to hinder your progression and make everything hard and expensive to get. Artifacts need a rework to be more useful, not necessarily to generate more income since then you would be artifact hunting for half a hour and buying an exo otherwise. It's not an ideal system but I understand that there is not much else that can be done if you don't want to be in the "End game" in a hour, since Stalker has no classic RPG system that would let you advance through xp or something. That is the fact why modifications after CoC became more and more hardcore, in vanilla CoC you could witness a firefight and get uber gear by just scavenging. Also, if you take it canonically there would be no stalking except getting an artifact or two and getting the fuck out of the Zone with your cash.

There was that russian mod (Return of Scar I think), that had a system where the durability of suits and weapons was capped on your progression.

As you progressed the max durability increased and you could use full strength armour and weapons.

Not necessarily a good system, but it was an attempt to control progression. Also meant you had to rely more on artifacts for protection early on as none of the outfits provided much protection.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

absolutely there is. NLC is an example of a BETTER economy; one based around bartering, where artifacts are far and away - logically, and as supported by the game's own lore - the most valuable thing in the zone. The easy way to stop players from end-game gear in an hour, is to simply make the end game stuff require rare items to get in the first place. In NLC, one of the first guns you get is an old AKS74U..... with a missing front sight and a barrel so worn to hell that its effectively smoothbore in terms of accuracy. Getting just a regular old AK74 from the army feels like a MAGESTIC upgrade because suddenly you can hit things at long range.

I think I've posted about this before. The problem with the way MISERY et al handles the economy is it makes trash-bagging and cyclic tasks the focus instead of hunting artifacts, because its markedly faster and eaiser to just do the former to get rich than it is the latter, so the latter just becomes chiefly for LARPing purposes. They not only need to re-design the entire economy to be artifact centric, they need to rethink the level progression - the best artifacts should only be found in the most dangerous areas, rather than being a % to spawn per type of anomaly.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Misery... project made by people who could only edit config files at best, with minor tweaks in features (like popping new window - cutting mutant parts, repairs etc.).
Meanwhile NLC had a lot of new features made from scratch, which helped in creation something that's not just another "modern games difficulty" - more HP and damage nonsense.

Anomaly is probably the best Stalker game
nah
Where are interesting dialogs or characters, story... anything? Why play another fedex with hobos armed with shotguns and AKs when you can have some purpose to be here?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
NLC does have some annoying stuff (some of which is fixed by mods and tweaks).

Not allowing saving anywhere on a mod running on a 32 bit engine that frequently runs out of memory was a rather bold decision. Also to describe the machine translation as lousy would be giving it far too much credit.

That said, at least it doesn't lock down the data files with anti-cheat stuff like some of the Russian mods. Russian modders often seem to be even bigger prima donnas than western modders.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Maybe it's safety measure to deal with people stealing their assets, that's nothing unusual in their post-soviet yard...
I remember nice AvP2 mod that bring new textures and assets, so it resembled Alien movies more, only to be removed because people constantly took his work without even asking.
But still - if people want to alter their game even further then it's their choice, as long as they won't whine about it later in the forum/comment section/discord/whatever.

And I heard some original OGSE modder got butthurt when they made 64bit version of his project, forgot why now.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
To me the best version of Stalker would be an open world version with hostile factions and friendlies etc. And mostly about collecting artifacts or something with combat as the focus, minimal talking.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
And I heard some original OGSE modder got butthurt when they made 64bit version of his project, forgot why now.

The OGSE project is a fantastic collection of modder autism and drama. The short of it is that the mod team split after the release of 0693.

Half the team insisted that the 2.10 was the final version of 0693, the other half decided to continue developing and fixing issues which resulted in 2.11.

The x64 port is based on the 2.11 version which makes some of the 2.10 team butthurt as they insist that their version is perfect.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Usually people JUST die in this age, but in this year they all died from covid of course. :lol:

Anomaly is doing very very good things but it still fucking DOESNT GET IT. Still has a retard economy based around being a professional trash collector and artifacts and artifact hunting (the very essence of stalkan) are still close to worthless... the lack of urgency towards changing this shows anomaly is made by guys that fundamentally dont understand stalker

Surprisingly enough you said almost wod to word same as I some anon lol (I revisited stalker thread, it was still good), except his words started with "those americans/weaterners can't get it, it's OUR russian thing". Also yeah, NLC is good, I wish there was proper translation.
ОП 2.1 is good too - in it's own unique way lol, I wish it could be translated too, but given the gigantic amount of content it's highly unlikely.

PS Did you know that Microsoft somehow got a hand on Stalker2?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It still baffles me that there is not a single bored person in this world that would translate these project properly.
Yet people have time to learn japanese and translate anime and manga weaboo garbage without problem.
Nope, just stuff up more guns.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
It still baffles me that there is not a single bored person in this world that would translate these project properly.
Yet people have time to learn japanese and translate anime and manga weaboo garbage without problem.

theres teams of people working on translations for these mods, but progress seems to be glacial. Lots of typical community infighting/drama too, because apparently modder drama also extends to translator drama. With NLC7, the progress is understandably slow: apparently there is a huge amount of text, one guy said something to the effect of there were more lines of dialogue in the opening area in NLC7 alone, then there were in the entirety of another stalker mod he translated.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

Usually people JUST die in this age, but in this year they all died from covid of course. :lol:

Anomaly is doing very very good things but it still fucking DOESNT GET IT. Still has a retard economy based around being a professional trash collector and artifacts and artifact hunting (the very essence of stalkan) are still close to worthless... the lack of urgency towards changing this shows anomaly is made by guys that fundamentally dont understand stalker

Surprisingly enough you said almost wod to word same as I some anon lol (I revisited stalker thread, it was still good), except his words started with "those americans/weaterners can't get it, it's OUR russian thing". Also yeah, NLC is good, I wish there was proper translation.
ОП 2.1 is good too - in it's own unique way lol, I wish it could be translated too, but given the gigantic amount of content it's highly unlikely.

PS Did you know that Microsoft somehow got a hand on Stalker2?

OP 2.1 has an english translation built in... I have no idea what percentage of the mod it covers, but i want to say it was said to be 40% or so last time i checked?? I know they have apparently been working on it for the release of OP 2.2

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Dude, ОП 2.1 is like 10? times more in content then any mod I think? I think it woul be hard even for profeccional team.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Any mods with a new story that 1: Have a proper translation (or were originally English) 2: Are actually good.

everything except the item descriptions in fotograf and secret trails 2 are translated by hand into english. what wasn't essential to the plot was machine translate. the same people who translated those two mods also translated return of scar, but i'd argue that return of scar is.. not too good. it's not very stable

there's also olr 2.5, but it's a love it or hate it mod

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom