Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

ferratilis

Magister
So boys, can you recommend any good mods for replaying Clear Sky nowadays or should I just stick to SRP?
I'd just use SRP tbh. If you're willing to sacrifice your framerate, you could install Atmosfear 1.3 and STCS 2.6.3 Redux, it adds a lot of new gun models, but beware, fps can dip even below 30. Pick your poison.

Billy Cockmeme

Literate
Doubt this will ever come out but it's nice to see progress.

Puke, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but RoH is way too ambitious. They could have released years ago, but they fell into "muh real stalker = TARKOV" trap. RAD MP is barely 5 months old and it already has a fully working multiplayer open world experience, with quests coming soon. It's staying close to vanilla, that's why it has been able to offer a very simple, yet functional experience. Stalker doesn't anymore.

ciox

Liturgist
I've found that dropping dead bodies into Whirligig anomaly it will create low level artifacts.
Does it work in Anomaly/Call of Chernobyl/Call of The Zone or other games in the STALKER trilogy like CS and CoP?

Now if there was mod that let you drag mutant bodies in the original trilogy...
I never knew that, but now that you mention it, this whole event was included in the old (and cool) trailer for SOC. Should have actually tried it at some point.

https://youtu.be/icsy2S95-5A?t=205

ferratilis

Magister
Have any of you played the ABR mod? It's described as vanilla+ mod that adds some new weapons, rebalances artifacts and improves graphics, but I wonder it the changes are pure autism or provide for a better experience than vanilla?
https://www.moddb.com/mods/abr-mod

ferratilis

Magister
What is this sorcery?! I get almost locked 120fps, with minimal stutters around Skadovsk. I've never experienced CoP being so smooth. All while pushing really nice draw distance. This guy is either a wizard or all those stashes are hogging the performance so much.

S-T-A-L-K-E-R-Call-of-Pripyat-4-15-2022-11-39-33-PM.png

S-T-A-L-K-E-R-Call-of-Pripyat-4-15-2022-11-41-16-PM.png

Taim

Educated
What's the least toxic community to get into the modding scene?

Motivated by wanting to play NLC, having some free time for a change, and the lack of any ability to get a halfway decent translation, I'm in the process of building a basic command-line translator script.

There are much better machine translators out there than the current one used for NLC 7 (Yandex). Some mild testing shows that DeepL seems like it might actually have a decent shot of getting some of the slang translated correctly.

I've found google translate is better for some small cases (DeepL translates "Nimble" to "Kick-Ass" whereas Google gets it right).

Already wrote up a rudimentary script that processes all the text and replaces it but DeepL's website is a piece of shit and somehow creating an account is broken right now.

I'm not going to write a GUI for this thing but I'm thinking of making the app translate convo by convo and prompt the user for 3 options:

1. Go with DeepL version
2. Go with Google version
3. Type in your own custom version based on the DeepL/Google versions (often you know what its TRYING to say after seeing two different translators make an attempt)

Anyway, I wouldn't mind refining this app a bit if it garners interest from the translation community. Especially if that means I get to play more of the Russian stuff instead of Anomaly Pack #764.

Also perhaps setting up an avenue for getting donations because using DeepL isn't free.

Last edited:

Taim

Educated
All in all C-Con discord has actually been a pretty good haven. Haven't encountered any of the toxicity I had heard about in the past - and have run into a few helpful folks.

Anyway - I've spent the better part of the past month and a half on-and-off working on this STALKER text extraction tool to aid in machine translation. In the future the tentative plan is to work with the community to expand the tool to help with hand translations as well.

Anyway, I have released my own machine translation for NLC 7. While it is stil a machine translation, and very much has awkward phrasing, it is MUCH better than the previous one. And many people on C-Con have been enjoying their playthroughs (they even made an nlc channel).

This is for the latest version: NLC 7 3.8.1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_0ZTQ0r6yhpcx__VQCqAk191Xxj0qW_8/view

And here are the translation files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N8ukOqKrzx0RDljyPfZj48_FeTLvf13i/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LU_CpiMZ8C6K24fHSJftQH2GzvQlRedh/view?usp=sharing
Note: I'll likely be updating this a couple of times over the next bit. Also might put this out on modddb eventually - once I'm sure shit isn't totally fucked and people can actually play through it.

Last edited:

Taim

Educated
I should point out this script I built can effectively give us the same quality machine translation for this for...probably damn near any STALKER mod out there, unless there's some weird edge cases in text formatting I haven't accounted for.

NLC has over 4 million lines of dialogue spread over fucking EVERYTHING - so I feel most other mods should fit into the cases I encountered already.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I forgot to update this topic by telling you guys that Taim's translation for NLC7 is fantastically good. I'm playing and everything is understandable, often even enjoyable for its own sake. I'm still in disbelief that this is a machine translation.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i'm still working on the goldenball translation after nearly 3 years. it's currently in the revision stage and content-complete, although there were long breaks due to burnout. i've finally figured out an effective workload: small amounts each day, no more than 5-7 xml cells. slow and steady wins the race

in the past i'd do a truckload and then not touch it for months, but doing a tiny amount every single day is far better

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron

someone is making an edit of LURK 1.1 that's basically inspired by the aesthetic from Memories of a Broken Dimension and i don't know if i should be amazed or terrified. all i know is that i'm gonna play this if he decides to publish it

toughasnails

That ENB, Reshade or whatever preset of his looks nice... for making videos or fishing for upvotes and awards on your screenshots on Steam. But imagine actually playing the game that way.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been playing around with some of the major megamods for STALKER to see if they run smoother under a new RTX 3070 card I got. They do but there's still some burps, hitches and jank (Anomaly runs best... does AVX really make a difference?). Grass options absolutely slaughter my framerates but everything else can be cranked up. I just have to expect it's not going to be perfectly smooth for such an ancient engine that's been further compromised by so many changes with mods. Will check out NLC now with the new translation.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
never run any mod with grass shadows on, no matter how tempting that may be. that'll kill your framerate

try to have the grass density slider in the middle as well

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
oh yeah, i should mention that goldsphere is amazing and it completely deserves a hand translation, which is part of why i've been cracking away at that on and off for a long time. the machine translation ranges from acceptable, to awful, to this:

20200728210839_1.jpg

while mistaking 'ochkarika' (four-eyes/bespectacled) for *this* is funny, it completely takes you out of the experience

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
never run any mod with grass shadows on, no matter how tempting that may be. that'll kill your framerate

try to have the grass density slider in the middle as well

I noticed NLC is DirectX9 only and no Dx10/11 enhancements. A little disappointing but not a deal breaker, I guess.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
s52J9oO.jpg

goldsphere translation soon, sometime this year

considering that i do, on average, 7-12 XML lines per day for the sake of avoiding burnout and remembering what i've actually done the day before - i'll get a lot done before the deadline comes. of course i'm not the only one working on this translation, so the body of work accomplished in a few more months should be significant

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Golden Sphere ain't Soup-like, it's different kind of beast.
I remember playing it and breaking the game by going to the wrong map. I was supposed to get into some kind of borderzone where
marauders and military had skirmish and we have to pick our side by helping one of them
Should give it a chance next time, now trying my best with Radiophobia3. Isn't that the mod that always ends in beta version?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
one month or so until the first version of the goldsphere translation is out. after that, further revisions will be published with patches

exciting! also, i'm quite nervous about the whole deal

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom