Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Dr Tomo, Aug 4, 2013.

1. NoSoup4you Novice

NoSoup4you
    How were the DLCs? I played this at launch, and by the end of the base game I was already just lurching over the finish line out of duty. The game was ok, but lacking some of the mystery and atmosphere of SCII... Not sure if it's because the game is that much worse, or because I'm an adult. I did like the aliens and dialogue overall, except for the excruciating starbase commander.

^ Top  
  2. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    The first DLC added a new alien race, complete with dialogue animations and all, but they're only spoken to once and make no further appearances or impact.

The second and third DLCs mostly added backstories to less relevant factions in the sector (like what the pirate factions were doing) and added more background to The Measured. The final DLC felt like a rush-job and revolved around Earth's expansion into new systems, and the pushback they're getting.

Their quality dropped at a pretty sloping rate. If you had trouble finishing the game due to lack of interest, then the DLCs won't do anything for you.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    Brad has a whole thing where his main interest is this whole singularity, project your consciousness across the universe sort of thing and he tries to bolt it onto Star Control, a dorky, Star Trek with more shooty thing, and its not always great.

^ Top  
  4. NoSoup4you Novice

NoSoup4you
    The integrated DLC doesn't even make sense for this type of game... It's not very replayable. But hey, I'm kind of in the mood, and it's either this or fail to endure SC3 for the third time.

Thinking about it, a big part of what I missed about SCII was the serious parts. Stardock recaptured the whimsy pretty well, but that's all they got. The old game actually felt lonely (mining an empty system with ambient music) or even scary at times (discovering quasispace, realizing the fate of the Taalo, etc.) Everything here is an upbeat adventure. It also seems a lot more linear despite being "open world," i.e. it more obviously feels like a series of generic fetch quests. The only significant discovery I remember having with Origins was wondering WTF those unbeatable ships in Arcturus were.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    Haha, you dummies. Even the creators knew the shitty combat was the core of star control 2. Cyborg mode is for retards who need a helmet to go outside, according to the creators.

That doesn't mean it's the most enjoyable part, but it's obviously the part of the game every other part is there to support. You upgrade your flagship to do better in combat, you get allies with different ships to do better in combat. You fly around to different places and get into combat, then get ships to do more combat in, or resources to make you more successful in combat.

I thought the Ur Quan masters was bugged when I first played it, I figured it was meant for slow computers and the combat was running at 10x speed or something, but no, that's how it's supposed to be...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    You could win any computer ship with Shofixti (without using Glory Device) when you got good enough.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. infidel StarInfidel Developer

infidel
    Strap Yourselves In
    Ok, I've finally got around to playing Origins for an hour and now I know why I wasn't hyped for it for all these years since I've heard about it. It's the fucking Stardock. They have that Stardock look that they seem to adore (or maybe the artists keep Brad hostage) but I hate. Cheap plastic 3D art with "modern" UI that they have since... 2003?
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, the buttons were a bit different. But look at 2006 and notice that blue and white UI:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And all of their games look the same ever since. That feels so lifeless somehow.

The second thing that I hate is music. Nevermind that it's all remixes, nevermind that one of the original composers is doing it. The original DOS version had great MOD music, very gritty and punchy due to the technology limitations. All the samples have low attack and decay, there's no reverb, very distinct aggressive sound.

EDIT: 3DO version. The drums are nice and punchy, the arp synth is still good. I disagree with the overall mix somewhat and the backs have been moved further to the back, it sounds worse but still okay:

Compare that to this:

Sounds very soft and FM synthy, lacks any aggression except a little in the drums. I feel like they should've capitalized on the original sound instead of the 3DO version.

And lastly, I hate how it's 2021 but you just can't automatically mark down planets that you've visited and cleared, how many resources are left there if any and what objects have you found (with some exceptions in captain's log). Not to mention that you can't scale UI fonts. So far the experience is a bit worse than the original gameplay-wise. Sure, it's all playable but they've lost so much of the soul in the transition, another bland mediocrity. They're promising some graphic upgrades soon but I'm not hoping it'll get better.
    :majordecline:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.