Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - sequel to Fallen Order

ferratilis

Magister
I'll believe it when I see it. It's doubtful there will be major improvements, considering Fallen Order still stutters.

https://www.eurogamer.net/star-wars-jedi-survivor-gets-september-release-on-ps4-and-xbox-one
EA says the PC version - which Digital Foundry called "the worst PC port of 2023" - will be recieving an update "in the coming weeks". This promises "enhancements to the game's technical performance, controls and more", as well as various quality of life improvements.

DemonKing

Arcane
Man this new console generation sure is a smashing success.
I guess TV Tech has been stuck at 4K resolution for the last decade or so, meaning the arms race to make games work at higher and higher resolution is over and there's only so many other tricks they can pull to make games look demonstrably better. Most normies are probably happy with how things look on their PS4 so are in no hurry to upgrade without compelling exclusive titles which have been far and few between this gen.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man this new console generation sure is a smashing success.
I guess TV Tech has been stuck at 4K resolution for the last decade or so, meaning the arms race to make games work at higher and higher resolution is over and there's only so many other tricks they can pull to make games look demonstrably better. Most normies are probably happy with how things look on their PS4 so are in no hurry to upgrade without compelling exclusive titles which have been far and few between this gen.

This + financial woes, and the fact that shortages and scalping early on and through COVID locked people out at the maximum hype and demand periods, so when the systems became available, the smoke and mirrors that might get hype purchases was already fizzled and gone.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'll believe it when I see it. It's doubtful there will be major improvements, considering Fallen Order still stutters.

https://www.eurogamer.net/star-wars-jedi-survivor-gets-september-release-on-ps4-and-xbox-one
EA says the PC version - which Digital Foundry called "the worst PC port of 2023" - will be recieving an update "in the coming weeks". This promises "enhancements to the game's technical performance, controls and more", as well as various quality of life improvements.
Jesus christ, now they're going to put out a patch? They took their sweet fucking time

I might actually pick this up if they do...ehhh but on the other hand that stupid jedi master is in it and I despise that character

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I guess TV Tech has been stuck at 4K resolution for the last decade or so
Yeah, p. much this. At least it's one of the factors.

Tbh honest 4K seems to be the sweet spot, in games and movies, p. much everybody agrees 8K is pointless and nonsensical, given the limitations of the human eye. So yeah, TV and console manufacturers won't be able to rely on technological trickery going forward.

Another, maybe even bigger factor is a simple lack of alluring PS5 exclusives. Sony, in order to rake as much money NOW, is STILL making games their biggest games for both next gen and last gen, even tho they're clearly hurting PS5 by doing this.

And let's not forget - almost all the most popular Playstation games have come out on PC now or are slated to come out. So not only there aren't enough PS5 exclusives, there really aren't many Playstation exclusives at all anymore. Yes you can get shit like Horizon or God of War or TLoU a year or two later but with everyone having a 40-mile long backlog nowadays it hardly matters. This is exactly my case - I actually pre-ordered PS5, as my first console ever, but in the Covid chaos and crazy shortages it never arrived and as years went by I realized I don't actually need the bloody thing anymore coz I got everything I wanted from Sony sitting in my Steam library (except Bloodborne womp).

-M-

Learned
Tbh honest 4K seems to be the sweet spot, in games and movies, p. much everybody agrees 8K is pointless and nonsensical, given the limitations of the human eye. So yeah, TV and console manufacturers won't be able to rely on technological trickery going forward.
Sort of. There's definitely demand for higher resolution but you need the screen size to support it (human eye gets diminishing returns otherwise). Oppenheimer showed that people will flock to those 70mm IMAX screens (roughly 12K resolution) when available. And there's a very obvious difference in quality between those screens and Laser Projection IMAX (a pathetic 4K).

But I agree that 4K is a sweet spot for home consumers for at least the near future.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
We will never get another Jedi Knight game again, will we?
No- but why would we? Kyle's story is finished. Let him rest.

I'd still take a new JK game built on the Outcast/Academy engine, even with Kyle having minimal place in the story, but I know Disney would never let it happen and would never let it be good.
I'd argue the opposite. Disney would put Kyle for the sake of attention and to grab the more gullible Katarn fans.

It may be a risk but they calculate that the +$$$ trade-off is worth it. The problem is the humans making these decisions are dumb fucking monkey level of humanity.

deuxhero

Arcane
Sort of. There's definitely demand for higher resolution but you need the screen size to support it (human eye gets diminishing returns otherwise). Oppenheimer showed that people will flock to those 70mm IMAX screens (roughly 12K resolution) when available. And there's a very obvious difference in quality between those screens and Laser Projection IMAX (a pathetic 4K).

But I agree that 4K is a sweet spot for home consumers for at least the near future.
I upgraded from 1080p to 1440p a few months ago. The main gain I've seen in gaming is showing 4x as much with same quality as 1080p, not being able to get more quality in the same number of inches. No real gain for any game with a fixed viewpoint.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah I should've added "for home consumers". Reason is simple - unless you live in a palace you usually sit like 2 meters from your TV or a meter from your comp monitor. And at that distances 4K is a sweet spot.

(Personally I'd argue my 32 inch 2K monitor a meter away is the absolute perfect arrangement for PC videogames but a lot of people play gaymz on their 60"+ TVs where 4K makes sense.)

Sentinel

Arcane
Denuvo removed. Another performance patch for PC released. https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/jedi/jedi-survivor/patch-notes

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor™ - Patch 9 Details​

Patch 9 for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor arrives today for the PC version of the game.
There is also an upcoming update for PS5 that adds functionality for transferring saves between PS4 and PS5 in anticipation of our upcoming release on PS4.
Patch 9 Details
This patch focuses primarily on performance and quality of life improvements for the PC version of the game.
Performance Improvements:
  • Framerate improvements for various hardware configurations.
  • Fixes for several sources of framerate hitching for smoother gameplay.
  • Ray Tracing has been optimized for CPU usage and should now scale better for high-end GPUs.
  • Fixes for performance related to using a mouse as gameplay input.
Quality of Life:
  • The “Optimizing Game Files” screen has been optimized and can now see speed increases from multiple CPU cores.
  • Mouse and keyboard functionality has been improved across a variety of menu screens, including the first time user screens, title menu, game menu, and workbench.
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed collision issue where players could fall through elevators at low framerates.
  • Fix for a conversation-related crash when walking away from NPC characters.
  • Fix for various, intermittent crashes.
General:
  • Denuvo DRM has been removed.
Thank you to all of our fans that have waited for this update. We’re grateful for all your feedback.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mother of god... could this actually be worth picking up now?

Eh, its a decent souls clone with good combat and lightsaber combat. Not very rewarding on the exploration part.
The itemization both in Fallen Order and this is atrocious, mostly just cosmetic trash (especially in FO) but I p. much loved everything else. It felt like the most Star Wars thing since KotoR. Plus you even get to play as a straight white male, incredible.

cruel

Cipher
Agreed, very fun game. Probably my second favorite game of 2023, only behind Lies of P. I felt a little bit sad when I finished it, which is a good sign.

Ahnx

Educated
Because they failed in every possible way.

- horrible level design;
- horrible map;
- collectibles are useless, there's no point in exploring the world;
- very weak story;
- sjw elements everywhere;
- the main character is not actually a jedi, what he does is against the code;
- disney perverted version of SW lore;
- terrible optimization;
- a lot of bugs.

P.S. And yes, even Fallout 76 is better than this.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Just came out on PS4 for some reason, playing it now. Looks like an improvement over Fallen Order, which itself was a pretty fun game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Curious how it runs, because Fallen Order ran like absolute shit on my PS4 Pro. Mega stuttering all the way through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom