Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - sequel to Fallen Order

Alpharius

Scholar
Was running decently enough on my aged pc until the last 3 gb patch (that actually downloaded 50 gb) dropped and the game started to take 20 minutes to load a save unless i restart it first. :argh: Also some saves just never load at all, have to restore from backup.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have always been a bit confused about droids in Star Wars, are the sentient or not? They seem to be, but everyone, including the Jedi treat them like shit.

They can develop sentience, but are normally wiped and reset before getting there, so most aren't. Certain droids like R2D2 and C3PO haven't been wiped in decades in the original trilogy.

cruel

Cipher
Finished the game yesterday, took 35h for 71% overall completion. Fun game, worth playing, 8/10. Could have been 0.5 points higher if not for technical issues and underwhelming ending. Arguably, better than the first one, but still similar.

Good things:
+ game looks beautiful
+ impressive level design at times, clearly a lot of work went into that
+ good / rewarding exploration (skill points, perks, force / life upgrades)
+ fun combat with some customization (stance + perks + skills)
+ good enemy variety
+ very good / responsive platforming (and this is coming from a guy who hates platforming)
+ decent writing
+ authentic characters
+ sense of humor & lot of love put into making this (eg. droid conversations)
+ game doesn't waste player time, straight to the point, very little filler

Bad things:
- port was horrible, took them 2 weeks to patch everything (frame drops, poor performance, crashes after Patch 4 with Ray Tracing off etc.)
- combat, while fun, can quickly become a clusterfuck with many enemies at once; something is off with lock-on / targeting at times
- end game seems... off? as somebody said in this thread, I'm pretty sure they initially wanted to end the game sooner and last few hours of end game were rushed / added in haste
- some of the boss fights are bullshit category, fortunately optional (we're talking difficulty higher than 90% of Elden Ring bosses here)
- there are some woke elements, fortunately more 'funny' than 'in your face' (eg. black woman mechanic exploring the swamps, another black woman jedi / brilliant scientist, muscular woman farmer, etc.)
- bounties are poorly implemented, forcing you to always go back to a specific spot to get more

I had fun. I would never except this will be more enjoyable for me than Wo Long, but it was. Will buy the sequel if it comes some day.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
I would never except this will be more enjoyable for me than Wo Long, but it was.
Rly? I loved Nioh 1 and 2 and was looking fwd to Wo Long but didn't play yet. What's wrong with it?

The game feels rushed, lack of balance, poor enemy variety, weapons feel the same, boring level design. Far from shit and possibly still worth playing if someone likes the genre, just not the level of quality you would expect from a Team Ninja game. My full impressions here.

DemonKing

Arcane
- port was horrible, took them 2 weeks to patch everything (frame drops, poor performance, crashes after Patch 4 with Ray Tracing off etc.)
Here's an interesting article about why so many current PC ports are struggling in comparison to consoles (basically consoles have dedicated hardware decompression while PCs don't):

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/consoles-still-have-advantage-hurting-pc-gaming/

Haven't finished the game yet but so far I'm enjoying it more than #1 with the various lightsaber styles and I'm finding the difficulty of the bosses much easier than #1 where I regularly had to turn down the difficulty to progress.

abija

Prophet
You would think before writing an article like that someone would have the decency to try those games both on consoles and PC.

cruel

Cipher
Oh wow, I'm spending some time after finishing the game looking for stuff I missed, and it seems they put a huge set of caverns below Koboh (Phon'Qi Caverns), easily 1h+ of gameplay, with puzzles / boss fights etc., completely out of sight and missable. Another example of cool level design, respect.

Ezekiel

Arcane
This didn't need to have three titles.

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor

Last game didn't need three either. Everybody into Star Wars knows the fallen order that has been the most focused on.

Star Wars: Fallen Order

Trithne

Erudite
This didn't need to have three titles.

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor

Last game didn't need three either. Everybody into Star Wars knows the fallen order that has been the most focused on.

Star Wars: Fallen Order
Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith still got it beat.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It doesn't even have the : at the place you expect, it comes after Jedi. Looks weird to me.

J1M

Arcane
The recent patches have degraded the visuals and completing the game revealed that the villain was fatherhood which have soured my first impressions a bit.

TLDR: NPCs talk too much. The optional content (koboh tunnels and Jedah temples) were good. It's too bad the rest of the game wasn't more like that. Overall, better than most AAA games, but not a must-play.

PS: My biggest gripe about the console port is being limited to only two stances out of five because consoles have limited buttons.

deuxhero

Arcane
I've just encountered a battle droid standing at the precipice on which Cal was hanging in stealth, talking to himself (the robot) about how awesome he is, how he gets the best of views while guarding the post, how nobody bugs him, and how it takes only one more enemy to catch or kill to get promoted, all in that fuzzy-funny battle droid voice known from the films. I felt sorry when I pressed that prompted one-hit-stealth-kill attack.
I have always been a bit confused about droids in Star Wars, are the sentient or not? They seem to be, but everyone, including the Jedi treat them like shit.
Oh boy, this is one of the more interestingly written topics WEG and successors dealt with. It's also something rat "canon" doesn't handle with nearly the thought (if at all).

The short version: The EU answer is that most droids aren't sentient. A small minority do become sentient, generally those who have close bonds to their single owner and thus don't get memory wipes as a result. There's enough droids in the Galaxy that a small minority of them is still a lot of droids.

More detailed: Droid sentience is a result of their learning/adapting processors going off the rails if they go long enough without memory wipes. The most basic droids don't have these processors and will never become sentient, but are also unable to do anything the slightest bit outside their programming (give a battle droid a weapon with a different manual of arms and it can't do anything with it). Going without memory wipes more commonly results in droids becoming buggy and developing annoying quirks (Wedge had a droid that started randomly screaming at him during combat, forcing him to wipe it despite its years of experience) rather than gaining anything useful. There's little interest in trying to replicate/intentionally induce this gain of function because droids are widely used as unpaid laborers, non-uniform droids suck when you've developed a fleet (etc.) with standardized and mass produced objects that wants standardized maintenance, and most importantly a sentient droid is also a droid that can ignore "don't harm sentients" programming (indeed, it's likely most of the Galaxy thinks of such disasters upon hearing "independent droid").

Edit: To account for the 3D Clone Wars cartoon using the B1s for slapstick and random "whacky" lines, one final wrinkle was added near the end: Battle droids were so cheaply built, their programming is malfunction prone causing them to go off script in a non-sentient manner (they just spew nonsense, rather than that nonsense having any basis in reality). In the EU, that battle droid (if a common model) would just be dismissed as a loopy result of droid production by the lowest bidder. It's not intelligence, it's the machine being asked to put a suitcase in a trophy and responding by repeating a bit of detective noir about shooting something

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Finally finished - damn that was one of the most cinematic games ever, and the gameplay was also pretty good. Difficulty was just right for me as I was able to beat all the bosses after a few tries without having to turn the difficulty down.

In retrospect though I feel the first game should have been called Survivor and this one Fallen Order (given how many fallen Jedi it features, possibly including the protagonist).

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Playing this now on Jedi Grandmaster. The bosses are way better than Fallen Order as, at least when it comes to the story missions, there are no longer any gimmicky, giant-monster, bosses which were like 40% of the bosses in Falled Order. Rayvis and the second Dagan Gera fights, especially, are Sekiro level good.

It's true that some of the open world, legendary, bosses are fucking annoying, but the open world bosses also allow you to get clever. For the frog boss for example, I lured two of those massive hammer dudes to his pit and force pushed them in before I jumped in. They got its health down to 20% and I finished him off. It's a fucking annoying fight in a tiny room and on Grandmaster it can one-shot you, so I don't feel guilty.

Grandmaster does feel a lot like Sekiro and I think it's tough, but fair. The only annoyance might be the insta-kill grab movies. Seems like almost every boss has one, and especially with the monsters, they can be annoying.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I've finished this today, and like Fallen Order, the game leaves me with mixed feelings, but for different reasons. Game's bigger and badder, and fast travel is a welcoming addition. But the world/quest bloat, Raiders ganging on you in much larger numbers, and the absolutely excessive use of locomotion puzzles makes Survivor also the much more tiresome experience than the tighter FO.

Have they also switched Merrin's voice actress? I can't remember she had sniffles in FO. Overall, I miss the more family-like crew of FO. In terms of story, it's okay, but it all evaporates in the bloat. Dagan was a well done villain, the rest was completely forgetable. The Betrayal, or rather the rationale behind it, was offensively sloppy ("Durr I can't have strangers on Tanalorr").

Don't know, a "better" game by the numbers, but not to my sentiments. Too many annoyances held the game back, and the story progression felt worse than in FO. Also you just got two big-ass boring worlds and a couple of smaller ones, none of them quite reached the highs of FO. Exploration is a chore.

Overall, I feel FO remains the better game.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Have they also switched Merrin's voice actress? I can't remember she had sniffles in FO. Overall, I miss the more family-like crew of FO. In terms of story, it's okay, but it all evaporates in the bloat. Dagan was a well done villain, the rest was completely forgetable. The Betrayal, or rather the rationale behind it, was offensively sloppy ("Durr I can't have strangers on Tanalorr").
The dumbest thing about the betrayal was, "I'm going to betray you. Oh, also, I'm a Jedi too, which I never mentioned before." I know they basically had to make him a Jedi too, because bosses in this game are all about lightsaber combat, but it just seemed kind of silly.

I've finished this today, and like Fallen Order, the game leaves me with mixed feelings, but for different reasons. Game's bigger and badder, and fast travel is a welcoming addition. But the world/quest bloat, Raiders ganging on you in much larger numbers, and the absolutely excessive use of locomotion puzzles makes Survivor also the much more tiresome experience than the tighter FO.

Hard disagree. This was better than Fallen Order in everyway. FO was fine, but felt like a tech demo for the combat, as the world felt really empty. The lack of fast travel was awful, and many of the bosses were terrible, giant, monsters. These games should be all saber combat all the time.

As to fighting groups, try getting good. That's what the double bladed stance is for, although you really don't even need it once you build your force powers up.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
As to fighting groups, try getting good. That's what the double bladed stance is for, although you really don't even need it once you build your force powers up.

Dude, I am gut. Although I mostly played with crossguard stance and have a proclivity for sticking with it, which might not be ideal for fighting gang rape squads.

ADL

Prophet
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is coming to even more consoles. But we're not talking about the Nintendo Switch, or some unannounced next-gen thing. Instead, Respawn is working on dedicated versions for last-gen systems, the Xbox One and PS4.

Announced today during EA's earnings call, the publisher revealed that Respawn is "in the early stages of development" to bring Jedi: Survivor to PS4 and Xbox One.

Of course, it's not abandoning the current-gen, either. "Additional performance improvements for PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S remain a top priority at Respawn and the team will share more information as soon as the next update is ready," the publisher said in a statement.
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-w...ly-stages-of-development-for-ps4-and-xbox-one
lmao

NwNgger

Educated
I liked Fallen Order well enough. And Survivor does what a good sequel should do. More of the good. But better.

However the game runs like liquid arse mixed with concrete. Poor fucking optimization that directly impacted my enjoyment of the game. I have a GTX 1080TI so I couldn't use Nvidia downsampling. I was stuck with the AMD one that did nothing for the performance issues. I can see a game I can enjoy. But not at sub 30FPS. Let alone 120FPS which should be the standard.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Out of curiosity I went back playing FO again. Correct_Carlo was correct, my memory must have tricked me. FO feels shockingly tame and empty compared to the wild Survivor. I still prefer the more gloomy tone of the first game though. Will probably make a 2nd Survivor run later this year including all the derp quests and bounty hunter shit once the devs have fully patched the game.

J1M

Arcane

Dude, I am gut. Although I mostly played with crossguard stance and have a proclivity for sticking with it, which might not be ideal for fighting gang rape squads.
Crossguard has a wide sweep move that is good for groups. Or open with some force powers.

Also, Crossguard has explosive reflect. It would be the best at everything if you could shoot the pistol in that stance too.

RepHope

Savant
Finished it. Overall I liked it, gameplay felt like an improvement from Fallen Order what with the increased amount of lightsaber stances you had access to. Merrin was little more than a guest star in the last game, so it was nice that this game focused a lot more on her and Cal while Cere took more of a backseat. I was amused that Respawn basically chucked out what some Twitter tranny had been trying to do with Merrin in a shitty Star Wars book I never read. Seems Merrin was gay in that book and didn’t like Cal, a blatant attempt to derail the romance between the two that Fallen Order set up, and Respawn just tossed that out and paired the two almost immediately. That part on Jedha where Merrin was tossing you through portals was great fun, been a while since I felt that level of joy while engaging with Star Wars.

I’m more mixed on the planets, I would’ve liked a couple more planets that were just short and sweet like Nova Garron. Wasn’t a lot of variety in the biomes this time compared to Fallen Order, least that’s how it seemed to me. None of the planets this time around were as much fun to explore as Dathomir was.

Story wise, Cal going through his Empire Strikes Back phase was well executed but there was some disconnect between the story and the gameplay. You get access to that dark side buffed version of slow time, everyone including Cal is disturbed by it, yet you can just keep using it for the rest of the game no problem. Maybe the third game will really delve into the consequences of it? Dagan was pretty bland as an antagonist, felt like a rehash of that fallen Jedi Master from the first game, but I actually dug Bode even though him being a Jedi felt like an asspull. He’s seen how hopeless it is to fight the Empire and just wants to take his daughter and run. Cal wants to turn Tanalor into a base to fight the Empire, which could potentially backfire and allow the Empire to invade if they capture a compass. It’s believable to me that the two would fight, even if it feels like a huge stretch that so many high level Jedi somehow survived the Purge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom