Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - sequel to Fallen Order

Yosharian

Arcane

A real next gen looking game finally arrives and everyone's shitting 'em selves. People are in for a rude awakening when the UE5 stuff starts shipping.

Complete nonsense, the game is horribly optimised, has nothing to do with the graphics

lametta

Educated
dunno why everyone on the internet cooms when it comes to this game. I finished fallen order just last year and it was solid/fun, but nothing revolutionary. This one is probably the same, it's a one and done game. Instead of holding of ppl go and buy ea pro or the game for what reason exactly. This game doesnt look much much better than fallen order. well maybe ppl will smarten up if the 3rd game runs with 15 fps on top hw(but who am i kidding they wont)
Probably because it is a big-budget single-player game with no MTX.
big budget with ass performance and decent gameplay doesnt make it much better than any AA production for me at least. Definately not worth 70 dollars.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

A real next gen looking game finally arrives and everyone's shitting 'em selves. People are in for a rude awakening when the UE5 stuff starts shipping.

Complete nonsense, the game is horribly optimised, has nothing to do with the graphics

I'm talking about the consoles here. Performance wise it's where it should be, as they have no business attempting GI raytracing. This will be the norm going forward until the mid gen refresh machines come out.

As for PC, it's pointless discussing it IMO as it's infested with Denuvo malware. Any optimisation they attempt will be hamstrung and we'll never know until it's removed. Wasn't that FILTH cutting off something like 30% of peoples frames in Hogwarts, and was only discovered in the empress release?

abija

Prophet
A game using 16-18GB on a 24GB card doesn't mean much. For example latest Doom is also using a lot of VRAM if it's available.

Yosharian

Arcane
A game using 16-18GB on a 24GB card doesn't mean much. For example latest Doom is also using a lot of VRAM if it's available.
Doom uses 18GB of VRAM?

The developers have acknowledged that there is a high VRAM issue so this isn't normal

abija

Prophet
I know I tested it recently on 16GB card and noticed in first menu screen was already using 9GB. Large memory usage is not an issue by itself if that memory is available.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The beginning was a piece of cake; I thought, "Cal is this strong, super-powered Jedi now." while fighting mere Storm Troopers, only occasionally running into some stronger ones. Haha. Sometimes during the middle of the tutorial world (Coruscant), the Grand Master's difficulty showed. I am doing it on the first run. It can be horribly difficult and frustrating. At least for me. But I love it. Because I came to understand that in every single case when I died, something was wrong with my understanding of the situation, not something wrong with the game.

Only after 10 hours or so have I started to understand how to keep other enemies in check—while fighting a group, that is. That the very attack moves against one enemy must be in harmony with getting away from another one and not, as in most other ARPGs, just somehow rolling, blocking, and hitting; "I-frames will save the day if need be". This just doesn't work here very well. 1. Stamina for held-blocking quickly deteriorates; 2. A successful hit/dodge can often mean you just served yourself to another enemy because you didn't choose the correct position to strike from, the correct timing in regard to group-combat general overview, or chose to dodge a melee hit when another enemy just launched a grenade to the place you've dodged. Nothing of the common ARPG combat is taken for granted here; quite the contrary.

I don't know if I make sense, but it took me a long time to start to realize all of this and put it together. At first, I won more through luck than skill; the combat was choppy, and I had to redo many situations several times. Only when I started to pay attention and position myself group-wise did everything start to fall into place a bit, and suddenly some group-combat situations started to look similar to the fluidity of the Jedi fighting in the films, with various, graceful finishing moves throughout the whole melee.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Interesting, what worries me is the bosses though, I'm not very good at these games I guess because I found Fallen Order's bosses really tough and I wasn't even on the hardest difficulty :(

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting, what worries me is the bosses though, I'm not very good at these games I guess because I found Fallen Order's bosses really tough and I wasn't even on the hardest difficulty :(
The bosses, at least the main bosses seem easier in Jedi Survivor.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Beaten the game. Overall loved it, an even better sequel to a very solid original. The stances make the game very replayable, although I've beaten the game mostly using a standard lightsaber. If it is good enough for Luke Skywalker, it's good enough for me.
Both villains, unfortunately, fell flat for me.
Dagan has a very unclear motivation. He's obsessed over the lost planet, but why? For Cal, it makes sense - he viewed it as a refuge from the everpresent Empire. Dagan's time did not face a crisis on even remotely similar scale - so just why he's so obsessed with Tanalor is extremely unclear. If it was important enough for him to murder his comrades over, there better be a good reason for it. He seemed like a wild animal, a bad egg with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Which is not inherently a bad thing, but the game provided him with a black chick satelite character who saw enough good in him to save his life, and the game also decided to draw parallels between Dagan and Cal, and neither works when he's such a scumbag. At least Dagan was cool, when he yelled threats at the Empire and promised to take over the galaxy, but he really didn't do that enough.

Bode's betrayal caught me off guard, but didn't really impact me. I never liked him when he pretended to be your friend, he just never clicked with me, so I felt nothing but annoyance with his excuses when it was the time to murder him. Merrin indicated that I'm supposed to feel that way, but the protagonist clearly still regarded him as a friend enough to give him last rites and even promise the fucking traitor a place on the resort planet, after everything he has done.

I liked the expanded customization options, played most of the game as a redneck jedi. I just wish more resources were spent on clothes and haircuts, as opposed to lightsaber and blaster parts, that are so tiny, you can't see any of your designs during the actual gameplay. In a game like For Honor weapon customizations make sense, but in Star Wars it's literally a tiny hilt that is mostly covered by the character's fingers.

Having played the game on PC, I only experienced any noticable issues and slow-downs once or twice. It's a shame the game's legacy will be dominated by the apparently shitty launch.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wrote a review for my blog, you can read it here, or down below if interested.

In my Quick Impressions of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, I wasn’t very impressed by the game, but I went back in and to my surprise, I started to enjoy myself… a bit at least. The things I brought up in that post still stand, though. Actually, things get worse from that point on. It becomes even more “anime” and absurd, with the addition of another problem; a disconnect from story to gameplay, and vice versa. The story and cut-scenes are presented rather realistic within the setting, however, the gameplay turns crazier and crazier the further you get into the story. Hence the disconnect, and to me this is usually immersion shattering, especially when cut-scenes dictate how my character acts. Like when taking a wound, but just moments before I could eat blaster fire all day. The game is filled with issues like this, and this is on top of the things I already mentioned in my quick impressions.

What about the story? It’s a continuation of Fallen Order, but it takes place a few years later. The crew from the first game split up, and Cal is now working with another faction of rebels after being alone for a while. However, after a troubling incident on Coruscant, the new team gets destroyed, and Cal is left alone once again and has to search out his old friends for help. This eventually leads Cal to his old friends where the real game begins, and from here on out the story takes a bit of nose dive. For about 80% of the remaining game, you and your crew have to search out a MacGuffin device, so it can take you to MacGuffin planet. It feels a bit contrived and silly, and not very Star Wars, beyond the Star Wars checkmarks like Jedi, the Empire, and so on.

Cal the hick is trying to keep up

This search takes you all over the local cluster of planets, and the more locations you visit the more information is revealed about this mysterious planet you and your crew are searching for. The reason Cal and his pals are so interested in this planet is that they think it will shield them from the Empire, and it’s a noble goal, I guess, but damn, if it doesn’t get boring! You are playing from the state of retreat all game in search of this planet while being hunted by the Empire, but the Empire never comes off as a serious threat. So, instead of feeling like a grand adventure, it feels like you meander around for 15+ hours, hiding from a force you probably can take out if you decided to attack them, until the last 20% of the game where the story finally takes a turn for the better. Suddenly it becomes a tad interesting and shows some true emotions! It’s a shame it takes the game that long, and then we have the other problem with the story…

He looks how I feel
It suffers from the prequel curse. Survivor takes place 9 years before the original film trilogy, with the people in the Survivor story never being referenced or mentioned in the original series. So, if the game doesn’t go full retcon mode, nothing will or can connect it to the movies, and nothing substantial can happen that influence the events of the first 3 movies without it feeling cheap. If they don’t work it in in some genius way, but I doubt they are capable of that. See, the problem is that Survivor ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. The narrative gets wrapped up, but most of the characters continue to exist, yet, they are not acknowledged or talked about ever again, as mentioned. Thus, the legacy these characters leave behind them must be at a minimum at best. This adds to the feeling of meandering, and pointlessness, but it’s not all bad, like I said, the final phase of the game is rather interesting and did stir some emotions in my cold dead heart.

The gameplay is separated from the story, and the Star Wars universe at large. Dark Souls mechanics should be enough of an indicator as to why, but at one strange event in the story, the respawn system is surprisingly integrated into the narrative, which felt very confusing. I assume respawning is part of the canon now? Otherwise, it’s a platformer and a hack & slash at heart, you will be jumping, dashing, and climbing all over, and the more skills you unlock the more areas becomes accessible. It works like a Metroidvania game in that sense, except that most of the secrets you unlock are for customization options. Playing doll is fun and all, but I would rather have the exploration provide me with something more substantial. Having to do crazy jumps over jagged cliffs just to be rewarded with a new haircut you will probably never use feels a bit anti-climactic. It’s also one of the reasons why Survivor scores low on the immersion scale. Finding a beard in a box on some out-of-the-way mountain path is a bit out there even for my taste.

Finally, a real Empire base!

Another issue is the level design. It feels way off from being realistic, yet, it can be pretty fun from a gameplay perspective, but the immersion suffers something fierce here if you have any sort of realism autism. You often find enclaves of soldiers standing on impossible plateaus, and after despatching them, you just got to wonder how they got there in the first place. There is also a problem with certain cut scenes. You glide over a deadly volcanic river by holding on to the claws of a giant bird, only to meet a random prospector on the other side, just standing there waiting to greet you. How? Wasn’t this area cut off? The game is chock full of situations like this.

From hick to 70s rocker
Overall, the combat feels pretty good and fluid, and there are lots of skills to unlock through gaining experience. There are also a few different stances to learn, and my favorite is the blaster with sword. In that stance, you hold a blaster in one hand, and a lightsaber in the other. I found out that having range attack power gave me a pretty good advantage in most cases, and the blaster pistol is just cool. All the different stances have different uses and effects like the twin blades that are for facing multiple enemies. However, they do blend a bit, even if you unlock new skills for them since they are all based on melee with the lightsaber as a primary weapon. I did notice the combat having a few issues. Fighting more than one or two enemies at the same time feels very messy. Sometimes the block button wouldn’t respond to button presses, and I’m not sure what caused that, but it becomes frustrating in boss fights where blocking is crucial. And at times enemies manage to phase through my attacks – totally ignoring my slashes, no block or anything, like they become spectral beings for a second or two. However, the most frustrating issue, which is part of the design, is that many attacks get shrugged off at random. With that I mean, you do damage, but there is no reward in the form of interruption. It looks and feels off, and kind of messes up the flow of combat. It’s hard to time blocks and attacks when you can’t predict the outcome.

Despite my complaining, and if you can accept the disconnect from the story, the gameplay is rather good. The combat for the most part is fun, especially facing bosses that fight in a similar style to you with the lightsaber. These duels got my adrenaline pumping, however, monster bosses are a bit of a hit-or-miss. I can’t say I enjoy fighting oversized gorillas too much, but they got their place. The same goes for navigation. I only wish they would have added a few more incentives to the exploration, not only in items but in story elements too. Most of the sidequests just end, with nothing new added, except for a new fancy haircut you picked up on the way.

Cool looking underground hanger. I want one

The visuals look a lot like the predecessor but improved in certain areas, like backgrounds, lighting, textures, and vistas. And there are plenty of cool vistas to gawk at. However, the graphical upgrades do not match the performance. I didn’t have too much trouble with the performance like many people, but there was a constant stuttering when textures loaded in while traversing the open world. It got a bit annoying, but luckily these stutters were rare when it came to combat, though. Overall, the game looks nice, especially at night, yet, even when I ran the game on Epic for all settings, except for ray-tracing, it looked like the screen was smeared with Vaseline. Things look very blurry on occasion, and I assume it’s because of the anti-alias system. Very typical of modern games, I have noticed. Long gone are the crisp non-pixelated edges!

That’s a weird elephant
The sound, music, and voice-acting are good, in general, however, I do have one complaint. And that is the bassy, weird sound of all explosions, characteristic of modern media productions. I’m not sure how to explain it, but it sounds odd like the explosions were recorded underwater. It’s very noticeable in the Marvel movies when something explodes for example. It’s very artificial and not at all how an explosion should sound, but it’s pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. All Star Wars sounds are there, and so is the music, even a few classic tunes from the franchise get played at special moments. The voice acting is of high quality with matching animations, especially in the cutscenes which add to the experience.

Would I recommend it? Hard to say, I probably wouldn’t buy it for full price. Besides the performance issues, it’s a pretty good AAA showing in a sea of horrible releases. For this day and age, just that fact alone is a small miracle. It doesn’t even have an in-game store, which surprises the hell out of me. Yet, 70 bucks is a lot of money, especially in these trying times. But there is a way to play it in full through an EA subscription, and that is a lot cheaper if you don’t mind not having ownership of the game. That is how I got to play it anyway, and for 15 bucks, I don’t think you go too wrong here for some lighthearted Star Wars action – anime Star Wars, that is.

Thanks for reading.

Basically. I found the gameplay fun at times, but there is a big disconnect between the gameplay and the story. Also if you have any kind of "realism autism", it might be better if you stay away.

ind33d

Educated
I would have really liked this series if it didn't use Dark Souls combat. People like me have beaten the mainline Souls series multiple times. If I dodge roll one more time, I'm going to have a stroke

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I initially thought something similar about the rewards. The several initial hours felt kind of meh. But then, exploring a pretty large part of second area, Koboh, I've found--or fought through to get--3x Force and 1x Health pool increase, 2x whole skill points, 2x perks (including the one behind the Rancor boss), 3x hair and beard cuts, around 5x pieces of clothing, and say, idk, 8 pieces of Priorite that paid for much needed health stim count increase.

Albeit, I'd welcome some (even small) changes to damage, speed, and armor even at the actual state, rewards in general don't feel inconsequential.

Yosharian

Arcane
The guy who is making a DLSS upscaler for Skyrim/FO4 is also making one for this game.

He's also made one for Elden Ring

I initially thought something similar about the rewards. The several initial hours felt kind of meh. But then, exploring a pretty large part of second area, Koboh, I've found--or fought through to get--3x Force and 1x Health pool increase, 2x whole skill points, 2x perks (including the one behind the Rancor boss), 3x hair and beard cuts, around 5x pieces of clothing, and say, idk, 8 pieces of Priorite that paid for much needed health stim count increase.

Albeit, I'd welcome some (even small) changes to damage, speed, and armor even at the actual state, rewards in general don't feel inconsequential.
That's good news.

I was kind of worried that this game would be absolute trash. I enjoyed the first one but found it flawed, and was pretty scared that the sequel would do what all big AAA sequels do when the original game turns out to be a smash hit, which is to double down on surface elements and do virtually nothing with the gameplay, or turn it into an easy, microtransaction riddled mess.

How's the performance overall? I was thinking of getting it but heard REALLY horrible things about the port. Has any of it been addressed?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
That's good news.

I was kind of worried that this game would be absolute trash. I enjoyed the first one but found it flawed, and was pretty scared that the sequel would do what all big AAA sequels do when the original game turns out to be a smash hit, which is to double down on surface elements and do virtually nothing with the gameplay, or turn it into an easy, microtransaction riddled mess.

How's the performance overall? I was thinking of getting it but heard REALLY horrible things about the port. Has any of it been addressed?
Glad to be of service. Btw I myself am especially fond of this game being free of the horrible modern approach: knee-jerked advice everywhere in the form of PC commenting on what they would do. The game sometimes asks you if you want an advice or not and I believe this functionality can be also turned off in the menus.

just

Liturgist
i will buy this game only coz of straight white male protag
i cant play games im not represented in

Modron

Arcane
i will buy this game only coz of straight white male protag
i cant play games im not represented in
Didn't the main actor begin his career by playing a gay guy for a decade in a tv series?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom