Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - sequel to Fallen Order

DemonKing

Arcane
The PC market is tiny compared to the console market and much harder to QA for, so it's no surprise the PC version is shite. PC gamers might squark a bit and review bomb on Steam but it's not going to move the dial one iota at EA...we've had literally decades of evidence that they'll never learn/change.

I played the first level on PS5 yesterday on Quality mode and encountered no real issues or frame drops/tearing. It's obvious which platforms the developers really care about.

430am

Educated
What the fuck is that 'designed for Win 11' bullshit? Like where the fuck did that come from.
AAA games forcing latest Windows builds has been a thing for years now. It's not exactly a new or unexpected practice. Some will straight up refuse to work if you don't have some updates or patches installed even if you run Win10. There's a bit of money going between corporations as usual. You'll see, companies will try their hardest to get more people over to Win 11 right now. Here's your chance to try Linux if you ever thought "I wanna try it but I need a push for me to finally do it".

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
What the fuck is that 'designed for Win 11' bullshit? Like where the fuck did that come from.
AAA games forcing latest Windows builds has been a thing for years now. It's not exactly a new or unexpected practice. Some will straight up refuse to work if you don't have some updates or patches installed even if you run Win10. There's a bit of money going between corporations as usual. You'll see, companies will try their hardest to get more people over to Win 11 right now. Here's your chance to try Linux if you ever thought "I wanna try it but I need a push for me to finally do it".
Jesus, some games game a Win 11 requirement already?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I don't know what the feeling is going to be after 20 hrs, but after a few, for me being a fan who's played nearly every SW game on PC that ever came out and at least tried every major open-world ARPG dtto: the game feels just amazing in any aspect.

Combat is awesome. I like how they circumvented the "You had a loss of memory now start re-learning the basics" cliché in a sequel. Cal is no beginner-tentative light saber user; he's a fluid, adroit fencer and an adept Force user right from the start. By the way, I'm getting the Anakin's Form V vibes there from his style (I wonder if that'd turn out to have been some hint about the dark side presence in the story). The actions seem clear-cut and impactful, the dodge/parry window being properly narrow. Every other kill and even many simple parries or hits Cal does end up with some cool light saber flourish sending love letters to SW 1-3 film fights.

I daresay the generality of SW props and decor would feel like heaven come true to any SW universe fan. If I were to see this setting some 15 years ago, I'd die of gamegasm if not immediately assisted with 42 12" fans running on 9 volts to cool me off.

The exploration: does exist. Even during the tutorial, there are items to miss or discover. The world's reputedly much larger and more open-world then its predecessor.

To reflect all those sometimes biased, sometimes rightful concerns about the performance on the PC; I never needed the best of graphics to have a great gaming experience, and it pays out in this situation yet again. I play "only" on FHD, HIGH, low AA (I never liked AA anywhere anyway) on a rusty I5, nVidia1660 6GB, SSD, 16 GB RAM and I get a mostly seemless stream of an awesomely looking, atmospheric environment with an ocassional stutter while loading completely new, effects-heavy scenery (I haven't experienced any area change related nor enemy appearing related stutters).

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Just because you're happy with 45 FPS doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer

The Dark Side of the Force key role in this wants to play. Needing more FPS then 40 generally malcontent is. Malcontency leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Let go of wanting more eye-candy and FPS and focus on the real treasure of gaming such as the content you must.

Or more suffering and pain incur on yourself you will.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
The game is indeed pretty good. I wish the itemisation was more than just new hairstyles for the protagonist and parts for his droid but other than that they nailed the combat side really well and it has lots of fun dialog like the hapless battledroids jabbering to themselves right before you descend on them and send them to their maker.

Zlaja

Arcane
mE3Amcj.jpg

05fc68edaad081ac7b947975844f83af.jpg

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Just because you're happy with 45 FPS doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer
I am pretty happy with my 50+ FPS on 1080GTX on High @ 1440p. It seems about right considering the age of the card. I've heard this game is horribly optimized for newer gen cards tho

cruel

Cipher
Very good game so far. Fun combat, interesting level design, improved platforming, excellent sound, npc behaving like people, decent writing. Everything I wanted from a sequel, unless a big drop in quality happens soon.

As for the port - it's not great, but it's in a much better state than Wo Long or Elden Ring on day 1. There is a fps drop here and there, but nothing game breaking, no visual artifacts etc. Playing on i7 12700k, 32gb ram and RTX 3080.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Larianshill

Arbiter
Had the five minutes to try out this on PC. There was a little stuttering, but nowhere near the Arkham Knight level I expected. Runs far better than Hogwarts.

Gerrard

Arcane
I watched 10 minutes of gameplay, the """realistic""" animations are pure :prosper:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got to try it for a few hours. It has the same problem as the first game. Level design is just messy, it does not feel like a real world at all. How do people or troopers get around? It's a mystery. It still has the Dark Souls aspect of you resting and resetting enemies. It just feels so goddamn gamey, actually, everything in the game feels gamey. Like finding loot. How about a beard, or maybe a new haircut? Funny what they store around the world in Star Wars. Finding a beard in a box hidden away on top of a cliff made me chuckle in real life. After playing for 3 hours I just felt bored. Especially when I opened up the second world, and the hub areas turned into a semi-open world thing. Think Dragon Age: Inquisition. Yawn. It feels so by the books going by AAA titles. And I could go with that if it felt anything like Star Wars, but I don't think it does at all. Star Wars has always felt pretty grounded to me, even for a fantasy setting in space, Jedi Survivor, however, does the opposite and goes full anime. It's also funny to compare the hero of this game to Luke (the legendary in-world of Star Wars) because Cal is a force God comparable.

Boooooring. Another 4 years or whatever dev cycle wasted to pump out another incredibly mediocre and forgettable game. I got Dark Souls fatigue, so that does not help either.

Edit:
On the point of the world not feeling real. At one point I had to climb around and do weird stuff to progress, it cut to a cut-scene, and a random woman walked up to me and initiated a conversation. Did she come from the same direction as I, like how? Did she also climb, slide, and cut her way through? It's stuff like this.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The game is indeed pretty good. I wish the itemisation was more than just new hairstyles for the protagonist and parts for his droid but other than that they nailed the combat side really well and it has lots of fun dialog like the hapless battledroids jabbering to themselves right before you descend on them and send them to their maker.
Haven't played it to be clear, but I do think it's a good thing that if a game is going to have a bunch of cosmetic effects, that they're included in the base game as they were in the 90s and early 2000s, rather than endless DLC or lootbox nonsense. With EA in particular, this is a huge improvement on their recent past. (Though Fallen Order was similarly positive about this I recall.)

Because the thing is they could easily sell a bunch of overpriced fluff, and people would buy it -- especially the lightsaber options, nerds with too much money go ham on that stuff. So it's a positive sign to see EA continuing with their return to self-contained singleplayer games without a raft of DLC on day 1 (beyond the small amount locked behind deluxe editions).

Of course, this is a very low bar, and is only a thing of note at all because the industry became so dredged in shitty forms of monetisation. And it obviously doesn't excuse the apparent total lack of QA for the PC port.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Digital Foundry uploaded their video detailing the rpoblems this game has for anyone interested

Larianshill

Arbiter
Got to the second planet on PC, still can't report any problems. Despite the fact that my back fan is not working at all, the game is working just fine.

I've found it very funny that somehow the Ninth Sister has returned as the first boss, and then she dies five minutes and zero effort on your part later.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Combat is awesome.
Fun combat
they nailed the combat side really well
Controls are unresponsive, most combat mechanics are unintuitive, mobs movement is weird and glitchy, mobs have unblockable attacks, enemies rotate on the spot or slide closer to the main character, parry doesn't work like in DaS, the poise system is trash, the powers are underwhelming and overall the combat is simply not fluid.

On the last difficulty tier the combat is completly broken and each fight is a mess. Basically it's impossible to feel like a powerful Jedi on the last difficulty because you die in like 5 hits from any mob.

Did you all play on Story Journalist mode?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom