Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - sequel to Fallen Order

Dexter

Arcane
So they learned nothing from the first game. It's funny, the only reason to buy a good processor, and gpu nowadays is not for the shiny graphics, it's to able to power through the abysmal performance/optimization.
The best part is when people seem to defend these shitty fucking developers who are unable to write even a decent compression routine by saying LOL NICE 8GB PAPERWEIGHT U NVIDIOT LMAO.

Even on the Codex.
Well, I was arguing in favor of having 200GB+ games like 6 years ago on the Codex:
Also, what exactly is the problem with downloading 60-80GB, playing a game and deleting it? I'd rather DL 70GB+ for a uniquely designed world with varied textures and assets like GTA V or Red Dead Redemption 2 that don't look like they were designed by a procedural generation algorithm.

Btw. RAGE that actually has Megatextures for the entire world is only 21GB (I'd love to download a Higher Res Pack for that game that doesn't look blurry as fuck the closer one gets, since some parts of it looked really good but it only ever released on Xbox 360), while DOOM is 67GB installed.
Haven't played Crysis 3, but afaik wasn't it a console-optimized corridor-level shooter like Crysis 2 and had to fit on a Dual-Layer DVD for Xbox 360 console release, so it "sells a lot"? http://answer.ea.com/t5/Crysis-Games/Crysis-3-FAQ/td-p/164182 That's one of the main reasons why RAGE had low-res textures all over too when close-up, since they couldn't fit high-res ones on the space they had available and it was already considered large for the time: http://www.gamesradar.com/rage-360-3-disc-behemoth/

Frankly I really don't care, they can make them 200GB+ if they think it will improve the visuals and they can make the game look more unique, a game limited to a single DVD ain't going to look like this: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/sys...stunning-screenshots-how-it-really--31983928/ It takes like slightly over 4 hours to download 100GB on a 50Mbit pipe and I got a 6TB WD Black only for games with several TB for the Steam folder alone. I was happy that they went Blu-Ray with the new consoles and had 8GB of RAM for bigger assets and higher res textures and stopped being so size-restrained. In the corporate sector there's already 50TB single-disk SSDs being sold and neither software nor video or audio is going to get any smaller in the future: http://www.zdnet.com/article/viking-technology-unveils-worlds-biggest-50tb-ssd/
Technically speaking maybe even 10 years ago?
8GB from Sony too (instead of just 4GB) is probably the best news that came out of today. ALL games have been limited to 512MB (or even 256MB for PlayStation 3, since that isn't shared) and you can see that in their very design. Not only "textures", but the AAA corridor-shooters (size of levels), limited animations and limitations to AI, loads of loading screens and streaming from disk, amount of objects on screen (including enemies), even stuff like amount of grass or trees.
I'd still like them to release the uncompressed RAGE textures even if they're half or a full TB. Now I'm mostly just laughing about the shit from the last few pages, since I find the reactions to finally being there amusing. I don't want compressed videos and textures that look like stretched copy-pasted shit spread on a wall and never really liked them. I'm happy that we're seemingly slowly getting out of that "age" and developers aren't constrained by having to arbitrarily fit their games on the size of a DVD or two as a main consideration. It's just storage and you can easily buy a 18-24TB HDD for like 14 bucks/TB and you'll never have to worry about "size" concerns ever again, and larger SSDs are also only getting cheaper with time with 4TB ones being very affordable already.

The main problem is that most big games are shit now and have nothing exciting about them. I have a 4090 with 32GB of VRAM and could probably play this monstrosity that apparently pushes 18-22GB of VRAM at 1440p reasonably well, and I simply don't want to as is true for most Modern "AAA" games:

Why the fuck would I want to play Zoomer Nu-games like RAGE 2, The Outer Worlds, Saints Row Reboot, Gotham Knights, Forspoken, Redfall etc.? I wouldn't do it if you paid me.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Astounding how bad the PC performance seems to be. Game seems hit or miss depending on what you value, but my godddd how did that port get through QA. Was there any QA?

I mean ffs if any company can afford to port things properly and test the results it's EA, but this one seems to be completely busted.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Astounding how bad the PC performance seems to be. Game seems hit or miss depending on what you value, but my godddd how did that port get through QA. Was there any QA?
Devs: Hey we have a texture streaming problem here, can we get some time to rewrite/fix it in the development pipeline?
Project Management: Can it be considered game breaking?
Devs: No?
Project Management: Then no.
Devs: Okey, back to making sure that feathers on a chicken all have unique physics.

From what I've seen as I'm not paying to play this anytime soon the PC version runs better than the ps5 even on performance mode.

ferratilis

Magister
That tweet sounds so condescending I can't help but imagine the person writing it:
Shaylin-McCann.png
And fuck them for trying to blame the user. "using a chipset designed for W11 on W10" wtf does that even mean, a five-year-old would come up with a better excuse. :argh:

Gorgutz

Barely Literate
You gotta love EA's dedication man, after making a decent game they made sure such failure never happens so gave their best shot to go back making bad games.

Yosharian

Arcane
What the fuck is that 'designed for Win 11' bullshit? Like where the fuck did that come from.

This tweet made me want to puke all over my keyboard, like I was already mildly annoyed about this situation but wasn't going to buy the game til its on sale anyway cos fuck $70/£60, but now I don't know if I even want to buy it at all, like ever. Fuck EA with a rusty fork.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Well, stop the needless feeding of that sinister realism race that ushered in the horrible state 3D gaming has been falling into for the last 15 years, and play like one of the true gamers like me: 1660 GTX, awesome and steady 35–45 FPS at FullHD, everything HIGH except lowest or off AA. :P

What the fuck is that 'designed for Win 11' bullshit? Like where the fuck did that come from.

This tweet made me want to puke all over my keyboard, like I was already mildly annoyed about this situation but wasn't going to buy the game til its on sale anyway cos fuck $70/£60, but now I don't know if I even want to buy it at all, like ever. Fuck EA with a rusty fork.
This game will be 5 bucks in a couple of years, perhaps not even that.

Well, stop the needless feeding of that sinister realism race that ushered in the horrible state 3D gaming has been falling into for the last 15 years, and play like one of the true gamers like me: 1660 GTX, awesome and steady 35–45 FPS at FullHD, everything HIGH except lowest or off AA. :P
"Realism" has nothing to do with it. It's just lack of skill and talent, just like every other industry in contemporary clown world. Contemporary games often look worse than shit released 10+ years ago.

flyingjohn

Arcane
using a chipset designed for W11 on W10" wtf does that even mean
Win 11 thread scheduler is designed to handle e-cores better then 10.
But:
-The difference is minimal to nonexistant
-The major difference is that there is a lesser chance that there will be windows bugs, not gaming bugs.
-Doesn't account for anything AMD related.
-E cores are helper cores. They are designed to handle the offload for windows stuff so that the p cores can actually fully handle the work part.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
"Realism" has nothing to do with it. It's just lack of skill and talent, just like every other industry in contemporary clown world. Contemporary games often look worse than shit released 10+ years ago.

"Nothing to do with" is as overbearing as four doggos in one pair of trousers and as precise as four gamepads running in one USB 1.0 slot.

Last edited:

"Nothing to do with" is as overbearing as four doggos in one pair of trousers and as precise as four gamepads running in one USB 1.0 slot.
I admit to being a bit cheeky, but seriously, I'm sure developers are just trying to make games "more realistic", that's gotta be it. This is why the simulation aspects of, say, the FarCry series have evolved tremendously since 2, right?

Oh, wait... well, I'm sure later GTA games have improved leaps and bounds in that respect!

Oh, wait... well, I'm sure a game released in the past couple of years, say Cyberpunk, would be the epitome of "realism" - that'd justify it running like shit, right? Right? Because it's muh realism!

Oh well, I'm sure that Jedi Survivor at least looks way better and more realimajistic than Fallen Order! That's certainly why it gobbles up 22gb of VRAM to run at sub-40fps on a 1k USD top of the line card while the last game runs on a potato 7 year old video card with 6gb VRAM at 60fps!

Such a difference! Muh realism!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
*Insert Morrowind meme*

I have to say, I find it hilarious, a big company like EA apparently doesn't have a single computer to test the game on. Taking them by complete surprise on release day :) . I wish we had some kind of standard already. Imagine buying anything else and it turns out the item is broken. That stuff wouldn't fly.

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone, least of all the developers, but people keep buying product, so there's no reason to improve anything. Just keep buying product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom