Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm trying to think of who would buy this and all I can come up with is parents who have kids who won't play a game with early 2000s graphics. Seems like a pretty niche market.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm trying to think of who would buy this and all I can come up with is parents who have kids who won't play a game with early 2000s graphics. Seems like a pretty niche market.

Probably a metric ton of people out there who are like "Oh wow I always heard about this gmae but it's more than 2 years old lol no way I can play that lol oh wow there's a new version by Beamdog that sounds cool!!!!"

Dodo1610

Arcane
The only surprising part is that it took over 15 years for someone to make another KOTOR, I know people who actually bought a Xbox for it back in 2003. Though I have no idea how to actually turn this into a modern AAA game since every single aspect from that game hasn't been used in any big title in the last 10 years. Anyway if they remove fem Revan or the party-based combat then they can fuck off.

Werdnicus

Learned
I wasn't being serious. Even a lone indie dev would be a better fit for a remake of anything that Bioware owns at this point than Bioware. They're not even a zombified corpse, they are the ground bones of their former selves made into glue that is barely holding the image of this company together.
Decline for KotOR though.
Decline? Where to? Kotor is in the ground right next to dinosaur bones.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I wasn't being serious. Even a lone indie dev would be a better fit for a remake of anything that Bioware owns at this point than Bioware. They're not even a zombified corpse, they are the ground bones of their former selves made into glue that is barely holding the image of this company together.
Decline for KotOR though.
Decline? Where to? Kotor is in the ground right next to dinosaur bones.

KOTOR was great RPG of the OT type feel, KOTOR 2 had great writing and added depth retroactively to 1, KOTOR 3 could've been great but no video game company seems to ever improve on things :(

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Kotor is one of the all time great rpgs, and my favorite star wars game. Played it twice back to back on the original xbox, first as light side and then dark.

Not expecting anything from this remake, aspyr is a straight port studio, with no experience making original content, much less for an rpg.

deuxhero

Arcane
I think a fairly straight, proper remake could be done relatively well even by a studio that has been pure port house. Just new graphics, a less horrible interface, add the character development options from KotOR2, add a proper turn based combat option, and maybe cut out some of the filler fights and give the Ebon Hawk a refresher. No faith in Disney Star Wars though.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The devs' pedigree doesn't inspire much confidence - all the company's done is do certain platform ports of the two games.

Still, I suppose that gives them a better working knowledge of the way the games are made than the man on the Clapham omnibus.

I always used to think that there are some classic games that could bear numerous attempts to make them better graphically, while still remaining fundamentally the same game. EVE Online is a case in point - it's had several facelifts in the course of its life. A classic story-driven game like KOTOR could be updated to the latest graphics and it not have to affect the basic gameplay much (and there are ways of improving the gameplay without spoiling it too).

It's almost like every good game, under the right conditions, could be the first of a long-lived type of game that remains the same through numerous facelifts and iterations. The classic isometric CRPG is basically the same game in slightly different forms.

I wonder if at some point developers could collaborate instead of competing, and set a standard of some kind (e.g. for GUI, certain types of rulesets, etc.).

Zibniyat

Arcane
Kotor is one of the all time great rpgs, and my favorite star wars game. Played it twice back to back on the original xbox, first as light side and then dark.

I can say the same for KOTOR II for me.

Not expecting anything from this remake, aspyr is a straight port studio, with no experience making original content, much less for an rpg.

Experience is overrated. All it seems capable of bringing to the table is polish, but the problem is that a polished piece of trash is still trash.

I prefer inexperienced but energetic and daring creative people, rather than useless, spent and creatively bankrupt has-beens of old (quite like almost all of them really are).

I think a modicum of optimism is in order precisely because it is made by "unknowns" in term of developing or remastering a game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I can say the same for KOTOR II for me.

Experience is overrated. All it seems capable of bringing to the table is polish, but the problem is that a polished piece of trash is still trash.

I prefer inexperienced but energetic and daring creative people, rather than useless, spent and creatively bankrupt has-beens of old (quite like almost all of them really are).

I think a modicum of optimism is in order precisely because it is made by "unknowns" in term of developing or remastering a game.
What has me worried is that it's been reported that the remake will integrate and adapt parts of kotor 2 story into 1 so that the remake fits into current disney canon. I think they will butcher the story and characters and we will get a frankenstein monster of both games with disney the high republic style of silliness all over it.

Drowed

Arcane
I am not at all optimistic, but honestly? If you're going to rape a series, I think it's less horrible that you do it by producing a remaster/remake than a sequel. In the former case, you always still have the originals to remember. In the second, you literally pissed on the body of the old series with a horrible sequel that became part of the canon of the work. (AKA, Fallout, Star Wars, etc.)

At least in a remake you can rationalize that the original still remains. It is like losing a loved one in an accident. And sometimes it is better to know that they met a tragic end than to find out years later that they were rescued, turned into a prostitute, caught every venereal disease known to man and died of an overdose in a manhole.

Larianshill

Arbiter
https://wccftech.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-will-be-an-action-rpg-rumor/

More rumormongering for Codex.

The rumored Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake is apparently moving away from the original's turn-based combat, according to rumors circulating online.

MrMattyPlays reported in a recent video discussing the rumored remake that the game will be an action role-playing game of sorts, featuring a combat system that will be more accessible. MrMattyPlays doesn't know any specifics, though, so it could be something more than straight, action combat.

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake has been rumored for a while, and it has yet to be announced officially. Earlier this week, Bloomberg's Jason Schreier revealed that the remake is indeed real and it is currently in development by Aspyr Media. The American developer already has a long history with Star Wars games, as it has developed, among other titles, the mobile port of the BioWare RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom