Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Bliblablubb

Arcane
They just jumped the "FemShep is the best" bandwagon. Gender equality and other liberal mindstuff.
The female bounty hunter wasn't romancable, thank you for bringing that huge disappointment back into my mind! That's what happens if you let MCA make games: the hottest chicks just cockblock you.
Still a better game than the first.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Twenty bucks says it's the Exile.

My Exile was male, who the fuck is this woman?

You can make your Exile a transsexual tomato for all I care, but the real Exile is a middle-aged woman named Meetra Surik.
The real Exile is just a legend, just as the rest of KotOR, KotOR 2 and SWTOR :troll:

They just jumped the "FemShep is the best" bandwagon. Gender equality and other liberal mindstuff.

The Exile was actually established as female in a reference book released in 2006. People knew the canonical Revan was male and the canonical Exile was female long before the release of SWTOR.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Twenty bucks says it's the Exile.

My Exile was male, who the fuck is this woman?

You can make your Exile a transsexual tomato for all I care, but the real Exile is a middle-aged woman named Meetra Surik.

I don't care about some retards who decided to make this canon. Fuck them. That's how the 'real' Exile should have looked like:

Tips_and_Tricks_magazine_cover_by_Brenze.jpg
Star Jesus? :lol:

Harold

Arcane
The Exile was actually established as female in a reference book released in 2006. People knew the canonical Revan was male and the canonical Exile was female long before the release of SWTOR.

This.
I also remember reading a MCA interview some years back - during the whole tem gizka butthurt era, I think - where he said that for him the canon Exile was a female who had the Handmaiden in the group, i.e. something not actually possible in the game; he hated his own other creation so much - the Disciple - that he retroactively removed him from canon. :lol:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I also remember reading a MCA interview some years back - during the whole tem gizka butthurt era, I think - where he said that for him the canon Exile was a female who had the Handmaiden in the group, i.e. something not actually possible in the game; he hated his own other creation so much - the Disciple - that he retroactively removed him from canon. :lol:
HAHA!!!

I've never liked the Disciple, the first word that comes to mind when thinking about him has always been "dull". Greg Ellis is capable of good voice acting but here he is just boring. Him being a Republic spy should be interesting, but he never is. He's just fucking pointless. Atton doesn't have much content either, but even if you don't start his sidequest and uncover his Dark Past™, he still has character.

What's worse is that his inclusion in the party is at the expense of Handmaiden - whose voice is supplied by the great Grey DeLisle and whose character is a hundred times more interesting and actually tied well into the main plot via Atris.

The fact that even MCA thought the Disciple lame enough to make this headcanon made me laugh out loud.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
That reminds me: didn't the last companion for the Jedi Knight (the emperors right hand or something like that) claim to have killed Revan and/or the Exile? I never unlocked him far enough because he needed evil points and lots of shiny presents I didn't have spaceshekelz for IIRC... I only remember being pissed about all the effort the game wanted me to do to get some loredump out of the later companions you never used.
At least in KOTOR 2 you could shuffle them around to trigger dialogs even if you never intended to use them. Hello Atton.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
That reminds me: didn't the last companion for the Jedi Knight (the emperors right hand or something like that) claim to have killed Revan and/or the Exile? I never unlocked him far enough because he needed evil points and lots of shiny presents I didn't have spaceshekelz for IIRC... I only remember being pissed about all the effort the game wanted me to do to get some loredump out of the later companions you never used.
At least in KOTOR 2 you could shuffle them around to trigger dialogs even if you never intended to use them. Hello Atton.
Yeah, he betrayed Revan and killed the Exile because he had a force vision that Revan would fail and that only your Jedi Knight would beat the Emperor :lol:

And no, I did not play a Jedi Knight. Imperial Agent or bust (I did play a Sith Assassin though :( which was shitty but at least not as shitty as any of the Republic storylines)

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Jedi Knight had the most KOTOR 1 feeling to it, similar lighthearted as the original 3 movies. Would have made a decent standalone KOTOR 3 actually, nothing outstanding, more on par with NW2's OC.
The Agent's storyline was actually quiet good in my opinion (minus the fact that I rolled a FemAgent I ranted about in another thread), but every class without lightsabers just lacked the certain something for me. Smuggler suffered the same fate, since his playstyle was just carbon copy from the Agent.
The Warrior could have been good, but once again I had the super idea of making him light sided, because everyone else went dark and I wanted to be an unique snowflake! Not only did I miss awsome EVUL cutscenes, a LS Vanessa Williams Jaesa Willlsaam was such an annoying teenage revoluzzeress I regretted helping her. And couldn't be romanced anymore.:decline: But I really liked trolling your master, one of the few fond memories I keep.
Inquisitor seemed promising, but I was already burned out with bringing several alts to the early 40s (and never higher) and quit the game altogether.

The restrictions for f2p players kept me from returning. And I remember dying far too often to be fun.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Jedi Knight had the most KOTOR 1 feeling to it, similar lighthearted as the original 3 movies. Would have made a decent standalone KOTOR 3 actually, nothing outstanding, more on par with NW2's OC.
The Agent's storyline was actually quiet good in my opinion (minus the fact that I rolled a FemAgent I ranted about in another thread), but every class without lightsabers just lacked the certain something for me. Smuggler suffered the same fate, since his playstyle was just carbon copy from the Agent.
The Warrior could have been good, but once again I had the super idea of making him light sided, because everyone else went dark and I wanted to be an unique snowflake! Not only did I miss awsome EVUL cutscenes, a LS Vanessa Williams Jaesa Willlsaam was such an annoying teenage revoluzzeress I regretted helping her. And couldn't be romanced anymore.:decline: But I really liked trolling your master, one of the few fond memories I keep.
Inquisitor seemed promising, but I was already burned out with bringing several alts to the early 40s (and never higher) and quit the game altogether.

The restrictions for f2p players kept me from returning. And I remember dying far too often to be fun.
Did you make your Agent and Inquisitor the stealth advanced classes? That was the only way I could stomach playing til the end of the storyline (I didn't even hit level cap on my Agent lol)... because I stealthed through the majority of the trash mobs.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
No, both were of course the non stealthy class. I have a knack for choosing exactly the wrong advanced classes when prompted. Sniper for Agent, Lightningthrower for Inqui and Guardian for Jedi Knight. The Sniper was soooo tedious to play, felt like a popamole in slow motion.
I dumped the Guardian after dying for the 100th time or so. Yes, i managed to die the most with the supposed tank class. Ditched him in favor of the dual wield version. MUCH better, since crits gave you heal over time. Also you could jump into enemies, speeding up the trashmob crap A LOT. This was actually the only class i considered fun to play, so my warrior was the dw version as well.
The Inqui didn't get far before my free month was up, I think she reached Balmorra.

All this talking makes me really itchy to look at the game again.... but downloading all those patches and content would probably take a 100 times longer than actual playtime. I think I will install it just to see how many jiggabytes I would have to download at 120kb/s.

Ackermanus

Educated
All this talking makes me really itchy to look at the game again.... but downloading all those patches and content would probably take a 100 times longer than actual playtime. I think I will install it just to see how many jiggabytes I would have to download at 120kb/s.

As long as you have the game proper downloaded, you can play without installing the patches as long as you remain in one of the starting planets. As long as you don't rush through the initial quests and take enough breaks, you should have the patches well on their way by the time you have to get to the second planet.

--

Male light side bounty hunter continues being fun: took the tank spec, die a lot in group areas, but all the fire and explosions keep my inner child happy (and some encounters force me to change my usual rotation a bit, so that's good).

Rolled a consular and oh God my fears were justified, not only is the storyline nonsentical if you go dark side (your master basically tells you: "look, please avoid killing villagers 'k?"), but the voice acting is so... uninspired. It's clear the people giving voice to the characters were having the time of their lives bringing cackling maniacs/evil masterminds to life, not so much with the good guys. This is the kind of thing that I just ignore in the usual game, but here it really bugs me, maybe because my first character was an imperial. Then again I'm not a native speaker, so maybe the other side is just as bad and I just haven't noticed it.

Anyway, got bored with the consular really quick, rolled a fem smuggler, and things got a bit better. As long as I stick to the witty and dark side responses, my ears remain safe. She's also more interesting, playstyle wise, than the consular, although the bounty hunter remains the favorite so far: he just has so many more viable options (even if he's not quite as good at any of them) in combat (area damage, melee, ranged, taking abilities, etc) that the others seem lackluster, especially the jedi.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
As long as you have the game proper downloaded, you can play without installing the patches as long as you remain in one of the starting planets. As long as you don't rush through the initial quests and take enough breaks, you should have the patches well on their way by the time you have to get to the second planet.

No download, I haz DVD! Well, it's only 9 jiggabytez after installing it seems. A quick check of my account reveals my Sentinel actually reached 50, woohoo... and half of my chars have random numbers/letters added to their names.

Rolled a consular and oh God my fears were justified, not only is the storyline nonsentical if you go dark side (your master basically tells you: "look, please avoid killing villagers 'k?"), but the voice acting is so... uninspired. It's clear the people giving voice to the characters were having the time of their lives bringing cackling maniacs/evil masterminds to life, not so much with the good guys. This is the kind of thing that I just ignore in the usual game, but here it really bugs me, maybe because my first character was an imperial. Then again I'm not a native speaker, so maybe the other side is just as bad and I just haven't noticed it.

Anyway, got bored with the consular really quick, rolled a fem smuggler, and things got a bit better. As long as I stick to the witty and dark side responses, my ears remain safe. She's also more interesting, playstyle wise, than the consular, although the bounty hunter remains the favorite so far: he just has so many more viable options (even if he's not quite as good at any of them) in combat (area damage, melee, ranged, taking abilities, etc) that the others seem lackluster, especially the jedi.

The light side Consular's story doesn't make sense either. Which is actually pretty sad, since, at least when I played 2 years ago, the consular was republic's top dmg dealer in pvp and therefore very popular. The Sorcerer was still better the better pick because his channeled ability dealt dmg from the start, while consular had to dig out scrap parts from the ground before dealing dmg at the end of the animation. What is more awsome: shooting lightning from your fingertips while laughing or uh throwing random pieces of junk around?
Yeah, some the voice actors had a lot of fun during the dark side parts, especially the female ones. The Inquisitor chick giggles so much, sometimes I was afraid she already cracked...

Congrats on the FemSmug, you get to boink a lot of male NPCs!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If they eased up on the F2P restrictions i might be able to put up with the low population of the servers, the shit combat, the ridiculous dialogue, only to finish my agent character.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Heh, quality programming at work here: patching files is too hard for the Biodrones, so the game has just redownloaded most of the stuff that came from the DVD. 27 gb installation folder and still leeching. Judging by the progress bar there is still about 10 gb to go. Hard to believe they changed every texture and audiofile in the game...

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Finally found some time to give it a spin, so I decided to unleash "Codexia the CISquisitor" on the clueless world. On a new server, because "You have to delete 3 chars before creating a new one" my ass! First thing the game does is showering me with present filled mails, rewards for being around at certain dates I certainly wasn't around. Okaaaay. And I am entiteld to use the "Founder" title now. If I were a subscriber, because free players don't get to use titles. Thanks for nothing.
At least I got sprint from level one, other than the real free players.. poor buggers.
Combat difficulty has definitly been lowered since 2 years ago, the only way to die on Korriban is playing Leeroy Jenkins. Assassin playstyle is still as boring as it was back then though.
I still knew where the 3 holocubes were... which is either a good memory or prove that I had far too many chars getting them.

Also: 2 crewskills for former subs and only 1 for frees? How are they supposed to build anything without playing several chars parallel?
Those f2p restrctions are a good example how not to do it, I wonder how many players stay after the first 10 levels...

Transfering chars from the shitty server they dumped them on cost 1800 cartel coins. Can you actually earn those coins ingame, or do you HAVE to fork over real shekelz?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
No way to earn the coins, but you can buy the unlocks with in-game Credits from players who paid coins for them. Of course, they've set up some sort of convoluted escrow system when you hit your "Credit limit" to make it almost impossible for non-subscribers to make major transactions.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You can actually earn some Cartel Coins through certain Legacy achievements, but it ain't no LotRO and it won't get you anywhere if you rely on that alone.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I guess STO/NWO spoiled me with that. Ah well, I think I will try a Scoundrel a little before I get bored of the game again.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
How much difference a voice actor can be. Inspired by Ackermanus and because I had a bland sounding he-smug back then, I decided to roll a FemSmug as well. So much more immershun! Aside from the very few exeptions, all male voice actors sound like they were bored as hell when reading their lines, while the wymen were motivated and emoshunal. It's like Mass Effect all over again, must be a typical Bioware problem...
I wonder how starting fresh on a server without moneyz will turn out, free players don't even get companion equipment as quest rewards it seems.:decline:
Also funny when you recognice voice actors from other games you didn't know or notice at the time. Found Liara T'soni and Queen Elisif on Ord Mantell.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
free players don't even get companion equipment as quest rewards it seems.:decline:

Really, being a free player is so damn limiting in this game, I would NOT recommend it to anyone. Shell out them 30kwabucks (or whtvr it is) on a 2-month subscription, enjoy the benefits, and then continue with preferred status gained by being an ex-subscribent. Either that or just save yourself the trouble and rip your veins out already.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You only need to spend $5 for the preferred status.
If that's too high, I recommend skipping your next lunch.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I AM a preferred player, having played 2 years ago, without sprint at lvl 1 and a cargohold I hadn't even bothered. All my chars were dumped on some random server though and couldn't help me anyway... no sending credits per mail and so on.
Ironically some of the f2p restrictions applied to everyone or were still unimplemented features when I was a subscriber. I remember getting sprint at lvl 1 only on a later alt and IIRC there was no option to hide headgear.
My goal was/is just to start a new char, play it a little now and the as if it were KOTOR 2.5 until I get burned out again. Works pretty good so far, I still like playing the gunslinger. I somehow remembered the gameplay much worse from playing a sniper, but I guess it was a 40+ problem.
Aaaaand I already get the evil signs of altritis ("I need to start another class with glowsticks as well!"), one of the reasons I lost interest then; when you play 5 chars parallel, one tend to loose all motivation to repeat the same area for the 5th time. I blame the resting bonus system. I never finished a single storyline... :cry:

If I were a real new player and wanted to play it serious, a 2 month sub would be in order to make the experience smoother. Right now I was just passing time until the Whorelock gets released in NWO. When I am done with him, I could see me coming back more often. 2 years break were enough to make me forget most of the storylines and bring back interest for the Star Wars universe.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I finally got around finishing my Sith CIS Marauder's storyline after 2 years of hiatus! I had no idea anymore who that cyborg lord was, but the climax of the story was definitly well done. Nice touch to see my old academy teacher again, he had given me the right ideas how to play back then, instead of just "crush kill sith smash lol".
The reduced XP gain and no resting bonus hurt a lot, I had to do every shitty quest on Corellia.:argh: I pity those trying to level a char to 50 as f2p.

Also Bioware can't balance for shit. Endboss gold mobs hit like a wet noodle if you interrupt their power attacks, while I lost count how often I died to a group of silver mobs...

350k credit cap is also lolish, I had to buy speeders and dyes to avoid loosing my precious moneyz. The dyes were worth it though. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom