Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

Black

Arcane
Didn't Jimmay shoot him in his 'hoes before bros' moment?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Tychus' death was memorable to me.

So was the Hanson alien infestation death, but that's not canon. Raynor saving Hanson, is the official Canon ending to that storyline according to devs.

General Warfield was kind of cool, too. Imo.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Only memorable death in SC2 is Marines'. When they go URGHHHH en masse, it's a real earworm.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
SC2 competitive scene is basically dead. Blizzard abandoned it in favor of HoTS. The pay-for-mod-maps didn't help things, either.

Black

Arcane
HoTS is even deader than SC2, at least on twitch. Fartstone is doing the best, ironically.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Heroes of the storm is only on the very cusp of e-sports and beginnings of a big moba.

It is by no means dead. Neither is SC2. So quit saying that please.

Sure, by Dota 2 and lol standards, it might be "dead" or have lowered viewership.. so what? That goes for virtually any other game, then

It's still a big game, let alone in korea. Big tourneys still going strong, lots of interesting matches going on.

SC2 is the most successful and biggest rts game.

Why is it ironic, that Hearthstone is doing great? Game is awesome.

Black

Arcane
SC2 is the most successful and biggest rts game.
Quite an achievement, with such fierce competition. And I said Heartstone doing so well is ironic because I don't think Blizzard foresaw it'd become such a thing. It was probably put together by some MTG nerds at Blizzard during lunch, the basic version at least.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Quite an achievement, with such fierce competition. And I said Heartstone doing so well is ironic because I don't think Blizzard foresaw it'd become such a thing. It was probably put together by some MTG nerds at Blizzard during lunch, the basic version at least.

Regardless of how much competition SC2 has with other rts games (it does have a few), it would still be wrong to call it dead, simply by comparing it to the biggest e-sports games of 1 particular genre, the moba genre.

Regarding Hearthstone: I think on the contrary, that Blizzard was well aware of the unexploited potential of the digital card game market.

If you think Blizzard makes their games out of blind luck or just a hunch, you are mistaken. Blizzard has ALWAYS have been great at analyzing the market, and coming up with products that offer something different than what is currently being asked for.. (or coming up with someting that doesn't exist). Isn't that what all the great innovators are doing? Isn't that also why apple became what it is, today? Doing something you've seen before, only better and more "acceptable"? Filling a need, nobody knew was there, but it was?

You might not like Blizzard games, you might disagree on how they run their business and such, but there's no denying that they have a keen eye for spotting potential and using that to their advantage when the time and circumstances are right.

They did it with basically all genres of games now. FPS, MOBA, RTS; MMORPG, Platform

All they need now, is to make a real cRPG ;).. That would be interesting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What? You mean Diablo 3 is not a Blizzard version of cRPG? I want my money back!
:hahyou:

Diablo 2 might've been, but even then I'd say probably not.

I really don't accept the "Blizzard is good at market analysis!" shit, though. Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 were sequels to beloved franchises that hadn't seen a new release in a decade. They could have released anything and it would've been :d1p:for their entire fanbase. There's no excuse, then, for deciding to release two subpar games.

Black

Arcane
Ok nvm, I see Metro brofisted this post so chances are it's very dumb.

Venser

Magister
Wish I had balls to put another zero behind every bet

3sPP7OO.png

rado907

Savant
Just replayed the Terran and Zerg campaigns. The Terran campaign is excellent. The Zerg campaign was all right but not nearly as good. Kerrigan was too emo, her crew consisted of a bunch of retards, the missions were fewer, and last few missions just weren't all that great or that challenging.

Hopefully the concluding campaign will deliver. I suspect that Kerrigan will merge with Zeratul or something, and become a Zerg / Terran / Protoss demigod, and then representatives of the three races will unite and crush the Xel'Naga. Or something like that.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Just replayed the Terran and Zerg campaigns. The Terran campaign is excellent. The Zerg campaign was all right but not nearly as good. Kerrigan was too emo, her crew consisted of a bunch of retards, the missions were fewer, and last few missions just weren't all that great or that challenging.

Yeah, the HotS campaign was a bit of a letdown. WoL's was excellent though, lots of memorable missions. I think half of the reason was that there's not a whole lot of interesting things you can do with the zerg campaign wise due to their macro-oriented playstyle. The other half is blizzard running out of ideas.

Honestly, out of the HotS campaign, I only remember the flash-freeze mission, the final mission (which was a bit underwhelming on Brutal, when I played it I thought it would be the penultimate mission not the last one) and derping on Zerus mostly because the Primal Zerg were plain silly, not because the missions were anything special. It also felt more linear than WoL. WoL had the Terrazine Gas mission, the Train mission, the vulture scavenger mission, the rising lava one, the mining laser mission, Tosh's final mission, that first one with the Taldarim, the convoy mission, the one with the creeping wall of fire, the Thor mission, all the Char missions especially the final one (I only finished it on brutal because Kerrigan's pathfinding got screwed by all the zerg the game spawned :M)

I hope LotV missions will be more interesting than HotS. Protoss have good potential for the campaign.

Deleted member 7219

It would likely have solid gameplay with teribad writing.

That is how I would sum up the Starcraft II campaigns so far.

Really, really fun, with every mission something new in terms of gameplay, but some of the writing is heavy on the cheese - especially in the first campaign.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The writing of SC2 was fucking atrociously bad. Even WoL, which is considered to be the "best" one so far.

Compared to SC1 and BW, SC2 seems like bad fanfiction writing in a updated universe with grafix and gameplay

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I decided to try the LotV preview mission on Brutal. Mission design is decent so far, even if the dialogue sucks balls. I believe this likely will be true for the LotV campaign also. Fun missions on Brutal, "wtf am I reading" dialogue.

rado907

Savant
The problem was that Bliz went all koombayah and decided to try to make us sympathize with the Zerg. So now the Zerg became victims of a conspiracy and the zerglings turned into cute pets. The primal Zerg were a bunch of manga freaks and Kerrigan wouldn't stop bitching and whining. It was a hell of a letdown to have her turn back into a Zerg after the great ending of WoL. At the end of the day the Zerg are still a brood of cockroaches and I preferred Mengsk before them. I mean Mengsk was a dictator with a jolly attitude a penchant for backstabbing. That's not so bad! At least he was not a cockroach!

What's next, we ally with Diablo in D4 to defeat Satan? Give us a break.

The missions were also inferior to the ones in WoL. And fewer. The last mission felt way too easy. You could probably clear it solo with Kerrigan, she was so over-powered at the end.

Legacy of the Void better deliver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom