Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Reminds me, what is actually in the longterm pipes for Blizzard? More WoW addons, more HS adventures, shit like that but actually new games? (Not counting their shitty TF2 knock off thrown together from Titan scraps, that's not a new game.):M

Heroes of The Storm? Diablo 4, War 4, Starcraft 3 eventually.

maybe some new game series announced at blizzcon

Atomkilla

Arcane
I've heard about new Diablo...or new expansion for Diablo 3. I doubt they'd release a new installment while Diablo 3 is still so new.
New IP is entirely possible though. I guess it all depends on how things fare after Legion. Probably another expansion pack after that. Maybe a F2P MMO after that? Hard to tell, really.

You can bet your ass there won't be new RTS games though.

My money is in HD remake of Lost Vikings.

Edit: SC3 will probably never happen. I think LotV will make a conclusion to the series. We might get a spinoff game or an MMO though. No RTS for certain. That genre is dead.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heroes of The Storm? Diablo 4, War 4, Starcraft 3 eventually.

maybe some new game series announced at blizzcon

Zero chance Blizz will ever make another RTS. I bet they pooped out HotS and LotV out of sheer necessity (reusable assets helped too). Heroes have been around for a while and I haven't heard anything about new Diablo. It made them a shitton of money though despite being super shitty for the first 2 years so they'll probably make a new one. In 2020 or so.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Isn't SC really popular in South Korea? Aren't there a ton of tournaments worldwide? You don't think they will make a sequel to it? I figured they would, it would just be 10 years down the road before we see SC3.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Reminds me, what is actually in the longterm pipes for Blizzard? More WoW addons, more HS adventures, shit like that but actually new games? (Not counting their shitty TF2 knock off thrown together from Titan scraps, that's not a new game.):M

They had a job offer open a few weeks back for a project manager for an "Unannounced Diablo franchise product".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why make expensive games when you generate $300 million in yearly revenue from a digital card game that probably costs a tenth of that (if not less) to produce? Blizzard's future is Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch. They'll keep pumping out shitty WoW expansions so long as there's at least a million or so paying subs. Another Diablo expac? We all expected that. After that and the final part of SC2 is out I would not expect another 'proper' game from them in around a decade.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well, let's not forget. HS, HOTS, SC2 are not bad games at all, in fact, they are pretty damn good and most importantly of all, fun.

Diablo is more "fun" now with the changes and patches than it was at release, I find myself playing it some, but of course still shitty compared to what could have been.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Why make expensive games when you generate $300 million in yearly revenue from a digital card game that probably costs a tenth of that (if not less) to produce? Blizzard's future is Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch. They'll keep pumping out shitty WoW expansions so long as there's at least a million or so paying subs. Another Diablo expac? We all expected that. After that and the final part of SC2 is out I would not expect another 'proper' game from them in around a decade.
Pretty much this, though I won't be surprised if some new fad comes along and kills MOBAs the way MOBAs killed MMOs. And if that happens, Blizzard will be on that bandwagon.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, let's not forget. HS, HOTS, SC2 are not bad games at all, in fact, they are pretty damn good and most importantly of all, fun.

Diablo is more "fun" now with the changes and patches than it was at release, I find myself playing it some, but of course still shitty compared to what could have been.
Yes they are. They are bad games. Sc2 is boring shit, too fast for normal people to be fun. You have to reach Master level to have any fun in that game while SP is utter shit like we been talking here. HS is casual shit, not worth any useage of brain cells. HotS LOL. Why would any idiot play that over Dota 2?!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Pretty much this, though I won't be surprised if some new fad comes along and kills MOBAs the way MOBAs killed MMOs. And if that happens, Blizzard will be on that bandwagon.

Yeah that's what they do - playing it safe.

Although I wonder if they're running out of steam with that approach. Sure HS is a smash hit but it's the only bingo for Blizz in the last 10 years.

Heroes seem to be the Google+ of social networks, Overwatch is positively niche, SC and WC are dead with the rest of the genre and while Diablo 3 sold 30 fucking milion copies, RoS itself sold just a fraction, suggesting Diablo 4, if it ever comes which is highly doubtful, will sell nowhere near as well. As for WoW, it's still a cash cow but it's dropping subscribers by millions every year (44% in the last six months).

Blizzard still exudes the superstar aura but if you look at recent Activision's revenues by far the biggest earners are CoD, HS and Destiny. WoW and HS is gonna carry Blizz for a few more years but both will wear out eventually and I wonder if Blizz hasn't gotten too fat and complacent to recover when they do.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What is worse is that MOBA killed RTS games. MMO were always asocial shit for those with brain deficiencies.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yes they are. They are bad games. Sc2 is boring shit, too fast for normal people to be fun. You have to reach Master level to have any fun in that game while SP is utter shit like we been talking here. HS is casual shit, not worth any useage of brain cells. HotS LOL. Why would any idiot play that over Dota 2?!

SC2 is not boring. It's pretty challenging and fun to play, even at lower levels of skillset. So that's an incorrect statement. Subjective oinions.. everywherreee

HS is casual? Okay, why aren't you the top #1 player in the world then, since it's so easy to be good at ? Sure, it's no MTG, but it doesn't need to be. HS is VERY successful, fun, fast and enganging. It's complex and innovative. A smash hit. You might not like the game, but saying is casual is also flat out wrong.

Heroes of the storm, while at first sight, might appear more "simple" or "casual" than the other MOBAS, brings something unique to the game. It's vastly differenws.t from othe others, and it shows. Fun, fast, engaging, simple to get into, but still complex enough for staying power.

But yeah, subjective opinions. But given how successful all of the above mentioned games are, it's clear that that they are good and fun games for a large majority of genre specific gamers.

You can deny that if you want, doesn't make it any less true.

GrainWetski

Arcane
HS is a casual game, though. All current Blizzard games are with the exception of Starcraft 2 in MP. Pretending otherwise just shows you're a blind fanboy.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
HS is a casual game, though. Pretending otherwise just shows you're a blind fanboy.

Casual compared to what? What does that statement even mean? What is a hardcore digital card game? Does such a thing even exist? Like I said, it's not MTG, and it doesnt need to be.

Can you elaborate on your statement of HS being casual, and how you view that as a bad thing?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meh, Blizz games are known for being easy to get into but difficult to master. It's definitely true for Starcraft, Hearthstone and Heroes....WoW and Diablo probably less so.

EDIT: On second thought Diablo too. Not sure about now but at release beating the game on permadeath Hardcore was an extremelly difficult thing to do.

ArchAngel

Arcane
SC2 is not boring. It's pretty challenging and fun to play, even at lower levels of skillset. So that's an incorrect statement. Subjective oinions.. everywherreee

HS is casual? Okay, why aren't you the top #1 player in the world then, since it's so easy to be good at ? Sure, it's no MTG, but it doesn't need to be. HS is VERY successful, fun, fast and enganging. It's complex and innovative. A smash hit. You might not like the game, but saying is casual is also flat out wrong.

Heroes of the storm, while at first sight, might appear more "simple" or "casual" than the other MOBAS, brings something unique to the game. It's vastly differenws.t from othe others, and it shows. Fun, fast, engaging, simple to get into, but still complex enough for staying power.

But yeah, subjective opinions. But given how successful all of the above mentioned games are, it's clear that that they are good and fun games for a large majority of genre specific gamers.

You can deny that if you want, doesn't make it any less true.
I can deny anything I want and I counter your stupid arguments with this: "If you need to pull numbers to show us how good a game is, than I am sure you consider Titanic and Avatar best movies ever!!"

And btw, go back where you came from: http://kotaku.com/

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I can deny anything I want and I counter your stupid arguments with this: "If you need to pull numbers to show us how good a game is, than I am sure you consider Titanic and Avatar best movies ever!!"

And btw, go back where you came from: http://kotaku.com/

So you're saying that the volume of a successful product is not a factor or parametre in determining how successful and qualitative it is?

DOTA2 and League both have larger numbers than Heroes, does than mean that they are both shittier than Heroes then? ;) .. ok

HS is the only card game on the market of that scale, so it has no real competitor, therefore, you can only measure its success on how big its grown and how well loved it is

Starcraft and Starcraft 2 doesn't pull huge numbers either.

I think you might be

possibly_retarded.png

It really depends on how much (commercially, not in terms of game design) Blizzard of today has learnt from Blizzard of yesterday. Blizzard made a fuckton of money by ignoring countless dictates of 'PC is dead', 'genre X is dead', 'competitive e-sport games is dead because they aren't casual', realising that all those dictates were from the developers and media down, instead of from the consumers up, and therefore bullshit. While all its competitors chased 'the next big thing' like an ADHD puppy, Blizz looked at the number of home PCs, worked out that if you designed your graphics so that they looked stylised but could run on cheap as shit computers, even downgrading their own working betas to ensure their games could run on non-gaming laptops (yeah, we bitch about the cartoon look now, because everyone copied it, but at the time WC3 and even vanilla WoW was a masterful illustration of good graphical design that could run on cheap as shit tech), and did the maths: 'all their competitors vacating the scene' + 'despite consoles, the number of households with PCs or laptops is growing' + 'graphics that look good enough, while running on crappy non-gaming laptops, hence ensuring that every single PC/laptop used to run Microsoft Office is part of their hardware base' = vast vast fields of glorious cash, all to them, all to them, to roll and play in while laughing at their former competitors scrapping for tiny shares of the console market.

That Blizzard would look at the declaration that RTS is dead and say: 'but...but...what are all these Koreans and Chinese customers, then?' They'd acknowledge that RTS is in decline, but would also note that SC2 sold fuckloads. And most importantly, they'd remember how much they benefited from being the last big fish in the PC pond, and would stick with RTS simply to ensure that they remain a major name in the massive Chinese and Korean markets. Even if their RTS products themselves don't sell that much outside of Korea and China, having that market presence is almost priceless for a Western company. Blizzard can introduce games to those markets that the local consumers aren't familiar with, and would reject outright if it came from any other Western company. That means that the next time Blizz has a major game to sell there, from a genre that isn't already well-represented in those markets, they have the opportunity to become the market leader in that new genre. The same way that they leveraged their RTS reputation into the success of WoW.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So you're saying that the volume of a successful product is not a factor or parametre in determining how successful and qualitative it is?

DOTA2 and League both have larger numbers than Heroes, does than mean that they are both shittier than Heroes then? ;) .. ok

HS is the only card game on the market of that scale, so it has no real competitor, therefore, you can only measure its success on how big its grown and how well loved it is

Starcraft and Starcraft 2 doesn't pull huge numbers either.

I think you might be

possibly_retarded.png
So you are going back on your own argument now? Good.

So now we are back to those games are shit casual games.

Except SC2, that game is only fun to no lifers (master players and above). At least top 1% of those can earn money from it. The rest just waste their time and brain cells.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That Blizzard would look at the declaration that RTS is dead and say: 'but...but...what are all these Koreans and Chinese customers, then?' They'd acknowledge that RTS is in decline, but would also note that SC2 sold fuckloads. And most importantly, they'd remember how much they benefited from being the last big fish in the PC pond, and would stick with RTS simply to ensure that they remain a major name in the massive Chinese and Korean markets. Even if their RTS products themselves don't sell that much outside of Korea and China, having that market presence is almost priceless for a Western company. Blizzard can introduce games to those markets that the local consumers aren't familiar with, and would reject outright if it came from any other Western company. That means that the next time Blizz has a major game to sell there, from a genre that isn't already well-represented in those markets, they have the opportunity to become the market leader in that new genre. The same way that they leveraged their RTS reputation into the success of WoW.
The numbers say that SC2 sold most in Europe.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So you are going back on your own argument now? Good.

So now we are back to those games are shit casual games.

Except SC2, that game is only fun to no lifers (master players and above). At least top 1% of those can earn money from it. The rest just waste their time and brain cells.

No I'm not going back on my own argument. I'm saying, games that a lot of people play, tend to have some merit. Subjective merit, but still, it holds quality for a number of people.

High popularity doesn't automatically mean = casual, easy and not challenging or engaging.

Low popularity doesn't automatically mean = HARDCOREZ, very cool, unique AWESOME game that only *I* understand.. because I'm so special.

It's a mix, a mix of different factors and parameters that make something great.

And as I've explained, the games in question rightly are popular, because they have so many quality elements to them, that people enjoy.

There are of course also alot of not well known games that are also quite excellent, but to a few people.

You are the equivalent of a game hipster.

In your mind, games are only cool if nobody likes them, but you ! And they are so specialzz, only *YOU* understand how great they are. Popular games are just shit .. wah wah wah.. casual !

I am so hardcoree..

You're an idiot.

also: " Except SC2, that game is only fun to no lifers (master players and above). At least top 1% of those can earn money from it. The rest just waste their time and brain cells."

This would be true for you, if only you had any brain cells to begin with.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only idiot here is you. You keep making conclusions based on things you said not me. As I said before and it still stands. Go back where you came from: http://kotaku.com/

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
What is worse is that MOBA killed RTS games.
I don't think so, there were several years before the rise of MOBAs in which AFAIK the only RTS games released were Starcraft II and EA's shitty Command & Conquer sequels. I think that RTS, like cRPGs, were killed by consolization; they don't work on consoles at all (though it didn't stop EA from trying).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom