Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardew Valley: Indie Harvest Moon on PC

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Halfway through fall, planted tons of cranberries, retained corn from summer, planted a small variety of season crops for bundles, festivals, etc.

It's rained maybe once in two weeks. Kill me.

(Original content do not steal!!!!)
704bb7d177.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Why is that? There's no time limit in the game, so you don't need to be maximally efficient. You may as well play at a relaxing pace.

Maybe so, but if you, for example, forget to fertilize and plant the right crops to complete bundles necessary for a helpful building, you may be waiting a full year before the opportunity comes around again.

Pumpkins are also a good example. You can grow exactly two crops of pumpkins per fall season, provided you remember to plant and replant them promptly. If you harvest your first batch and then forget to plant more that same day, that's it, no more pump-pumps for the whole year. There are advanced speed-grow fertilizers of course, but there again, it's easy to forget to use fertilizer when you're juggling numerous other tasks.

Besides which, I prefer not to play these types of games as a loafer. Part of the challenge for me stems from managing things in a relatively efficient manner.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is selling like hotcakes. Already, after 13 days on the market, it has 375K owners on Steam, and the sales do not seem to slow down - 36K copies were sold between 8th and 9th of March. It probably will turn out to be the most successful indie game in years (well, maybe except Undertale). Kudos to the devs.

http://steamspy.com/app/413150

GrainWetski

Arcane
Unsurprisingly, devs that make games on PC in genres that aren't really on PC tend to make a lot of money. Good for him, he definitely deserves it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Game is selling well.
That's because farming in real life is not worth doing anymore thanks to the (super)market(s).
Best game for your parents farmers when they went bankrupt.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I still haven't made any improvements to my house yet. Basically living in a hovel with some swag furniture inside courtesy of Gunther and a bunch of chests filled with various gemstones and gold bars and shit. Just got the last backpack upgrade and upped the pickaxe to gold, starting fall now.

Tick Tock Crocodile

I've been skimping and haven't upgraded the house either. I've left the tools alone, too. Basically, I've just been mining almost constantly so that I can set up a ton of of Quality Sprinkers all at once and go from there. Only need some more quartz and farming level, now. At first I had intended get the kitchen so I could gift people better, but then I figured out that nearly everyone is a slut for gems, so.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I still haven't made any improvements to my house yet. Basically living in a hovel with some swag furniture inside courtesy of Gunther and a bunch of chests filled with various gemstones and gold bars and shit. Just got the last backpack upgrade and upped the pickaxe to gold, starting fall now.

Damn nigga, I didn't get all steel everything and gold pickaxe until some ways through winter. Make sure to plant all the cranberries you can afford, although note that unless you already have lots of sprinklers, you will suffer greatly because it never fucking rains during the fall. Yes, the developer designed it that way pretty much on purpose to give you your first huge influx of cash, while reducing you to a dirty little slut who spends half of nearly every day watering plants.

@both of you, the kitchen is useful not only for gifting, but also for dead-simple recipes you can chomp nearly at will for health and energy, some of which confer +1 to +3 skill bonuses for various different skills.

Last edited:

Tick Tock Crocodile

I don't really care about the energy aspect atm, even having been given the recipe for Sashimi--one trip to the bath house is enough for me to spend all day mining, even at the lowest levels (a good sword works wonders)--but I didn't realise there were skill bonuses. Can you get one that bumps up your Farming skill, and if so, does it let you craft stuff at the new level (I'm assuming the bonuses are temporary)?

Protip: Do not give Abigail a diamond just because she liked the amethyst. You will regret it.

Huh, didn't know that she disliked Diamonds--I generally save those for Maru. Amethysts may be Abigail's favourite, but most gems go down well. I will never not be amused by the fact that she apparently gives that 'How did you know I was hungry? This looks delicious!' message for anything she likes. Crazy Topaz muncher.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
No, you're given recipes only upon leveling up. Most skills only increase tool efficiency, which I assume means that each use of a related tool drains less energy than at lower levels, but Combat, Fishing, Defense, and Speed bonuses are very useful.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Ah, darn. Will have to get the remaining Farming levels the long way, then. On the plus side, I guess I can safely get the third backpack instead of the kitchen.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Incidentally, I rather like the characters are in this. I'd been paying attention mostly to Maru for the first while, but after getting to know all the characters better, I'm actually interested in befriending a lot of them. I think at some point I also want to try a new character and focus entirely on something else, like fishing or something, to see how things go. I'm at the point where I could easily pull in a few grand a day by mining, but I'm still curious about pretty much all the other options too. Even plain old farming seems potentially interesting with the huge variety of crops, different things you can do with them, and tools to help you keep them all watered etc.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Blaine you got all overly dramatic bashing Fallout 4 and you play this faggotry? Grow me some peas, breh.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah breh, a fairly complex and original simulation developed exclusively for the PC by one man that has quickly proven to be among the very best of its subgenre is definitely comparable to Fallout 4, in all the ways I just listed and more. You don't like the subgenre, that's cool, but in my view it's one of the most enjoyable animu subgenres.

I don't have peas, but I have a whole bunch of green beans. Will those do?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah breh, a fairly complex and original simulation developed exclusively for the PC by one man that has quickly proven to be among the very best of its subgenre is definitely comparable to Fallout 4, in all the ways I just listed and more. You don't like the subgenre, that's cool, but in my view it's one of the most enjoyable animu subgenres.

I don't have peas, but I have a whole bunch of green beans. Will those do?
One man's animu is another's deviant pleasure.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
One man's animu is another's deviant pleasure.

Your love of Fallout 4 is inexcusable. We all wallow in decline from time to time, but Fallout 4 is the great nemesis—the absolute epitome of the decline in every respect, bar none. Playing it is an unforgivable sin, as far as I'm concerned.

Stardew Valley isn't even remotely comparable, not least because it is wholly faithful to the first games of its kind originally developed in the 1990s. Your bringing this up months after I stopped bashing anyone about Fallout 4 betrays your shame. You know what a worthless, tasteless piece of shit you are, and I know it too, mainly because you've reminded me. Games like Fallout 4 would never be made if people didn't line up to buy them, so your mere desire to play them makes you culpable for the decline in some small way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom