Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Shaki

Arbiter
Vic is actually going for Greatest Codex Retard huh.
Lady Error he better be in the upcoming poll
Still not coming close to the biggest Codex defender of BG3 last act and ending, who actually gave up on the game before even finishing Act 2.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I think it has more fun/varied quests than Oblivion, which I think has the best sidequests from their games.
I gave up after ~10 hours, literally every quest I encountered in new Atlantis, was just a fetch quest, after like 7-8 literal dogshit fetch quests, I was too burned out to keep playing the game.

Go to a warehouse, pick up something and deliver it to me.
Go to a guy and give him item in exchange for another item which you'll bring me.
Run to a quest marker and pick up an item I lost and bring it to me.
Collect 5 bio sensors or whatever shit being spread aroundd the city.
Click "E" on 10 boxes around the city.
Go to a doctor and pick up an item then deliver it to me.
Go give flyers to 3 people then come back to me.
Go "interview" 3 people (click exact same boring dialogue with every one of them) then come back to me.

Oblivion, and even Skyrim quests, looked like writing masterpieces in comparison to the mind-numbingly boring, disgusting shit I encountered in this game so far.
that’s true there are a lot of fetch quests but also some quests that really shine. Recent quest I liked was the Ashta quest in Akila with the security and the researcher.

Robotigan

Learned
After watching some streams I have to assume that Bethesda has their finger on the scales here, somehow. Starfield and Friends is just so bland in both art style and music
Gamers have terribly gaudy taste, what else is new? Whatever you think about the rest of their game design, Bethesda's art direction is almost always on-point... save for some of the seedier elements being undermined by what must surely be Todd's Catholic aversion to sex.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
1000 IQ loading screen tips to go with the 1000 IQ NPCs.

1695505849593.png

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Whatever you think about the rest of their game design, Bethesda's art direction is almost always on-point...
Yes and no. The overall aesthetics such as that of the settlements is mind-numbingly boring. The detail is often very cool though. I love the inventory item depictions for example; every one of them is like a hyper-realistic collectible toy, and I just want to own them.

Look at this grenade. Don't you want to pop it open and EAT ALL THE CANDY INSIDE?

1695506557581.png

The 1000 IQ user above me failed Newtonian physics.
The game doesn't have Newtonian physics. Spaceflight happens in a thick medium, perhaps underwater, like EVE Online. The loading screen tip is therefore true, but also very obvious.

Robotigan

Learned
Thank Christ. The fact that quickloot doesn't even have icons is an enormous oversight. Did they playtest outside the dev team at all?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

View attachment 41455
that's a bit more useful I think:

Starfield-9-24-2023-6-20-49-AM.png
You needed to be told that your weapons get more power to fire if you allocate more power to them?

I always wondered who all those warning labels are for IRL like, don't eat the dessicant pack we put in your shoes, or don't shower with your hair dryer, or it would be bad if you put bleach in your eyes.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I always wondered who all those warning labels are for IRL like, don't eat the dessicant pack we put in your shoes, or don't shower with your hair dryer, or it would be bad if you put bleach in your eyes.

Those are so the company isn't liable. Starfield doesn't have that excuse.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
After watching some streams I have to assume that Bethesda has their finger on the scales here, somehow. Starfield and Friends is just so bland in both art style and music
Gamers have terribly gaudy taste, what else is new? Whatever you think about the rest of their game design, Bethesda's art direction is almost always on-point... save for some of the seedier elements being undermined by what must surely be Todd's Catholic aversion to sex.

Yea I think BGS did a pretty good job here from a design/aesthetics point of view, that is once you remove all of the post processing garbage and also use a mod to remove the disgusting colour filters, increase darkness contrast etc. (It still boggles my mind that these AAA companies spend 1000s of man hours on graphics and then get a big bucket of human faeces and slop it over everything)

I was rather surprised as I expected they would go with the goofy retro look of NMS, but instead we get a much more grounded 'sci-fi realism' style that overall they nailed pretty well, specifically the ship interiors are delightful.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's weir though, this Vic guy clearly knows the game is dogshit so I don't know why he defends it from time to time... maybe he is trying to justify that he keeps playing it somehow.
I'm not defending it but I'm not binary either where a game is either absolute shit or GOTY. Game has many flaws but at the same time it has a lot of "fast-food" Bethesda-quality quest content and the gameplay is fun and addictive. I've been playing for 143 hours according to my save file and am still discovering news things. Also, mods make the game a lot more enjoyable, I have over 30 mods installed right now and could never go back to vanilla.

Nah dude this game is dogshit seriously, I understand what you are saying but this time this game truly deserves to be called dogshit.
How many quests did you do? I think it has more fun/varied quests than Oblivion, which I think has the best sidequests from their games.

I don't remember, didn't counted but the ones I did were fucking boring, the writing is terrible, the most interesting one I did was the one where the 2040 humans arrive at paradiso and you have to supposedly mediate with the two sides and nothing interesting happens, at first I thought the guys were going to be difficult to convince or that there were going to be some back and forward but NO, it was completely my desicion what to do with them, thats retarded as fuck and then I had to install the new grav drive and it was such a stupid fetch quest too.

I also remember I stopped a bank robbery in the lamest way possible, nothing in this game feels like its real or that there are real stakes.

If you are going to tell me that the quests are good sorry but you are wrong, the other people here have described other quest and they sound as lame as I expected.
There are a few decent quests. I liked one with AI that you can set loose or capture. I chose capture as soon as it told me to kill humans so it can go free.. except when you think you suceeded and say goodbye it goes rogue again and murders humans on board and runs away with its ship.. Later it randomly shows up to try to take its revenge on you.

Vic

Savant
There are a few decent quests. I liked one with AI that you can set loose or capture. I chose capture as soon as it told me to kill humans so it can go free.. except when you think you suceeded and say goodbye it goes rogue again and murders humans on board and runs away with its ship.. Later it randomly shows up to try to take its revenge on you.
I just did that quest yesterday, oh so now I have to watch my back for that insane AI? great

Vic

Savant
I absolutely do not believe they will leave the game in this state, they have the potential to make something cool out of the setting, why else tease cool battles and technology throughout the game?

Starfield-9-24-2023-9-04-45-AM.png

Hobknobling

Learned
Thank Christ. The fact that quickloot doesn't even have icons is an enormous oversight. Did they playtest outside the dev team at all?
DanaChristo.jpg
Well, here is a story about Bethesda hiring policies:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4hU...hristo-ui-programmer-at-bethesda-game-studios

When I was in college, I saw a social media post about Xbox’s Game Changers GDC program, where they randomly selected 30 women in school for games, or new to the gaming industry, to get an All-Access GDC pass. I was extremely lucky to be given a pass and managed to get myself out to California for a week (thank you waitressing, TA jobs and my professors!).
While at GDC I went to a talk about Dishonored 2 and at the end I introduced myself to a recruiter and handed him my very hastily made business card. I’m 99% sure he remembered me after because I had rainbow hair at the time. The week after GDC, the recruiter emailed me about a contract role at Bethesda Game Studios as a programmer and a few miracles later, here I am!
Granted, she wasn't the UI designer. Having separate roles for designers and programmers is completely retarded by the way and probably a major reason for their constant pathetic UI failures. Proper design knowledge is built on top of technical understanding.

Rhobar121

Scholar
it's not a space sim, it's a Bethesda RPG set in space and still more fun to play than nausea inducing cyberjank where female cops in uniform wear high heels and invisible walls teleport you back (turn back, nothin' out there for ya... *teleport*)
Excusing Starfield via a favorable comparison to Cyberpunk 2077? Next you'll damn it with faint praise by pointing out that it's much better than anything from Bioware. :rpgcodex:
Starfield doesn't even have the slightest chance in such comparisons.
There's a reason why there's been a ton of CP2077 vs Starfield comparisons (it doesn't look good for SF).
I would even say that ME1 is more of a space game than Starfield (at least you had a shitty tank to explore and probably fewer loading screens).

ArchAngel

Arcane

View attachment 41455
that's a bit more useful I think:

Starfield-9-24-2023-6-20-49-AM.png
You needed to be told that your weapons get more power to fire if you allocate more power to them?

Yes, 10 year olds playing their first Bethesda game need to be told this.

abija

Prophet
Having separate roles for designers and programmers is completely retarded by the way and probably a major reason for their constant pathetic UI failures. Proper design knowledge is built on top of technical understanding.
No, those have nothing in common (except both sides being completely delusional about their competence in the other one).

Vic

Savant
There's a reason why there's been a ton of CP2077 vs Starfield comparisons (it doesn't look good for SF).
the reason is both are current scifi FPS/RPGs and Starfield shits all over Cyberpunk in terms of being a sandbox open world with emergent gameplay, and Cyberpunk wins with the writing and story. Same as with Skyrim vs Witcher 3.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Starfield for me is best shitty game I've played which means it is best Bethesda game I've played. Still only a 7/10 game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom