Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Starfield was the #3 top grossing video game on Steam in 2023 according to Video Game Insights:

it's #3 by full game revenue but #6 for units sold, that's on Steam only, despite being day 1 on game pass
These are not the same thing. They have completely removed anything but purchasing the base product. Which is vastly over estimated when GTA Online prints more more than you can spend in a day.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Starfield was the #3 top grossing video game on Steam in 2023 according to Video Game Insights:

it's #3 by full game revenue but #6 for units sold, that's on Steam only, despite being day 1 on game pass
These are not the same thing. They have completely removed anything but purchasing the base product. Which is vastly over estimated when GTA Online prints more more than you can spend in a day.
It's for games released in 2023, I've edited my original post to make it clearer

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

It's for games released in 2023, I've edited my original post to make it clearer
The money isn't in purchasing copies any more. It's in freemium and cash shops.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
The money isn't in purchasing copies any more. It's in freemium and cash shops.
I understand what you're saying but it's actually a breath of fresh air for this year with the major titles not having any micro transactions and hopefully a push in the right direction
It's nice and a direction I'd like gaming to go but the Celestial Steed in Wow made over 12 million dollars for Blizzard. These numbers look great until you realize in couple of artists can make 10 mil off of a horse they make in a week. BG3 didn't do bad for it's self but it's a multi year project with a huge team behind it and a lot of it's income is paying the bills it created.

Spukrian

Savant
screenshot-1705327951955.png
...the indie game made by a furry was #9 in revenue and #3 in units. Hmm?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It should be noted
Video Game Insights (VGI) is in no way affiliated with Steam or Valve.
All data provided in this report is based on estimates and should be considered as such.
VGI uses third-party suppliers and applications, often internet enabled. VG Insights can therefore not guarantee the accuracy of all data coming from third parties. This might be due to
mis-tagging or mis-reporting of data and VG Insights will adjust and fix the issues when highlighted to us.

Vic

Savant
yeah, they're an independent market research group

(removed the link because I just realized I'm doing advertising for them, and fuck them)

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
yeah, they're an independent market research group

(removed the link because I just realized I'm doing advertising for them, and fuck them)
So they're a research group with no access to data, estimating sales.. Not sure how reliable that is.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Not sure how reliable that is.

They could be further off the mark than suspected. Starfield could actually be Steam's top seller last year.
Unlikely, Starfield quickly fell on the list of best-selling games and was overtaken by seemingly more niche games or older titles.
For comparison, BG3 is still in the top ten to this day.
As for Starfield, I'm not even sure if it's in the top hundred.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Ok, I couldn't resist and checked it out.
The game is so low that I didn't even want to count it.
The game is lower than such hits as Fallout 4, Overwatch 2 or My Summer Car.
It's even lower than the BG3 DLC which adds literally nothing.
Starfield is dead on Steam.

edit:
ebPW8LF.png

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Ok, I couldn't resist and checked it out.
The game is so low that I didn't even want to count it.
The game is lower than such hits as Fallout 4, Overwatch 2 or My Summer Car.
It's even lower than the BG3 DLC which adds literally nothing.
Starfield is dead on Steam.

edit:
ebPW8LF.png
How badly does Game Pass fuck releases like this? They need to trick you into subbing for months to pay back a single month's "rental" over a full buy. I assume they use the amazon prime model of fucking you over.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Does MS gamepass inflate or deflate the sales number?

In regards to PC, I would imagine in deflates sales numbers in a very minor way. Microsoft will only release numbers that are in their favour when it comes to Gamepass. The only real Microsoft news about Gamepass and Starfield that I am aware of, was that 12 million people played Starfield on Gamepass.

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-has-now-had-over-12-million-players-phil-spencer-says

There is absolutely no doubt that Starfield is not the success they wanted it to be both in reception, player count, and sales. There is just no way of knowing exactly what Microsoft wanted in regards to sales numbers and what those numbers actually are. How many new subscribers did Starfield bring to Gamepass. How many of those subscribers stayed subbed after that? Those are numbers only Microsoft knows. And if they were impressive, Microsoft would be releasing those figures.

Rhobar121

Scholar

In regards to PC, I would imagine in deflates sales numbers in a very minor way. Microsoft will only release numbers that are in their favour when it comes to Gamepass. The only real Microsoft news about Gamepass and Starfield that I am aware of, was that 12 million people played Starfield on Gamepass.

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-has-now-had-over-12-million-players-phil-spencer-says

There is absolutely no doubt that Starfield is not the success they wanted it to be both in reception, player count, and sales. There is just no way of knowing exactly what Microsoft wanted in regards to sales numbers and what those numbers actually are. How many new subscribers did Starfield bring to Gamepass. How many of those subscribers stayed subbed after that? Those are numbers only Microsoft knows. And if they were impressive, Microsoft would be releasing those figures.
It wasn't just gamepass but the overall numbers. It all depends on how you count the numbers.
I suspect m$ counts every player who has installed the game.
So, all you have to do is download the game out of curiosity (why wouldn't you do it, you pay the subscription anyway) and you are already counted in the statistics.
In addition, these numbers certainly include those who returned the game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
When fanboys have to use profit or copies sold to falsely indicate quality - you know they are retarded

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

How many were 1 dollar free trials?
How long is the play time? A lot of game pass game games get a 5 minute trial and never played again.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How long is the play time? A lot of game pass game games get a 5 minute trial and never played again.
2 seconds is probably enough. Doesn't Netflix count every second watched as some kind of success?

Vic

Savant
2 seconds is probably enough. Doesn't Netflix count every second watched as some kind of success?
1.6 million players have finished the game a total of 5.1 million times with an average of 3.17 playthroughs out of those who finished it at least once according to their infographic.

Modron

Arcane
1.6 million players have finished the game a total of 5.1 million times with an average of 3.17 playthroughs out of those who finished it at least once according to their infographic
Didn't those same infographics say 20 million+ played the game, that's a laughably low completion rate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom