Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Is there a price/mod point where Starfield will ever be worth a play? Not to go over 190 pages of comments, but TOW had a lot of 'wouldn't play it for any amount of money' from those that got if for a buck on gamepass. Bethesda has clearly lowered expectations after dumping FO4 and 76 on us.

I've played some seriously crap games on seasonal sales for under ten bucks to kill time in a drought.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Is there a price/mod point where Starfield will ever be worth a play? Not to go over 190 pages of comments, but TOW had a lot of 'wouldn't play it for any amount of money' from those that got if for a buck on gamepass. Bethesda has clearly lowered expectations after dumping FO4 and 76 on us.

I've played some seriously crap games on seasonal sales for under ten bucks to kill time in a drought.
Make a fresh xbox account. Spend £1 on a week trial and play through it from there. Don't buy it. Pirate it if you don't want to mess around and deny MS your tiny amount of money

Silverfish

Arbiter
in what world are we surprised that a Bethesda game is getting more players than a turn based cRPG
In a world where you're the only Bethestard and we are laughing at you for thinking people want to play a Bethesda game.

If my choices are 'Daggerfall in space with Fallout 4's combat' or 'here's a list of the developers' fetishes in your high fantasy adventure, but at least it's turn-based', I'll take the former every time.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
in what world are we surprised that a Bethesda game is getting more players than a turn based cRPG
In a world where you're the only Bethestard and we are laughing at you for thinking people want to play a Bethesda game.

If my choices are 'Daggerfall in space with Fallout 4's combat' or 'here's a list of the developers' fetishes in your high fantasy adventure, but at least it's turn-based', I'll take the former every time.
I suggest you play Starfield and get to the weird fetish dance club before you assume Starfield is any less fetishy than BG3..

Silverfish

Arbiter
You're right. Gay dudes dancing at a club is right up there with inter-species sex scenes and shit eating.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
You're right. Gay dudes dancing at a club is right up there with inter-species sex scenes and shit eating.

You know the ant outfits are someone's fetish. Don't deny it.

Starfield has inter-species sex scenes too. Have you seen how many negroids are running around? Half frog, half nigger. All Starfield.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

IMO it is not even worth pirating. Just booting and playing the game feels like tedious work, no enjoyment or leisure to be had. Maybe try it in a few years when the complete edition is out with multiple patches if you are curious.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

I pirated it but I think the 200 hours I spent playing was a bigger investment than 50 bucks or whatever it's now. Watch some youtube videos and see if you like the gameplay, no point asking on the codex if you should play starfield.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/8034

THIS IS A PROOF OF CONCEPT. IT IS INCOMPLETE AND ONLY PARTIALLY FUNCTIONAL. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I have figured out how to add new stars and star systems to the map. As a proof of concept I copied the system structure of Rasalhague (small number of planets and moons, easier to work with) and placed a new star system, "Dusk", to the south of Delta Pavonis. These are all new FormIDs, I didn't just move Rasalhague (moving systems is much easier).

However, the system is currently "unuseable" for the following reasons:

1. The system will not appear in a running game. It appears that the star map is established at the start of a new game or NG+. Any stars added after that initialization are placed on top of Sol, rendering access to that system difficult as the game has trouble figuring out if you are attempting to go to the old system or the new. So far I haven't figured out how to force a map update.

2. You can NOT land on any of the planets. Although I used existing planets as templates there is one thing I can't do, which is link the planet to a *.biom file in Starfield - PlanetData.ba2. These are the files that describe the surface tile layout of a planet (which tile has which biome), and without a valid, linked biom file the planet has no surface to land on. Ok, more accurately the game engine has no guide on what kind of terrain to procedurally generate, so it prevents you from going there. There is no obvious link to a biom file in the planet data, which means it's probably in one of the unknown fields.

So why upload this? First, to demonstrate that adding new systems is possible. Second, I'm hoping fresh eyes will help figure out the remaining issues, and any others that crop up.

Interesting advance. If you can add entire star systems that means you can do whatever you want with a mod without worrying about conflicts. In the comments they already figured out how to land, too (change from gas giant to something else)

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/8034

THIS IS A PROOF OF CONCEPT. IT IS INCOMPLETE AND ONLY PARTIALLY FUNCTIONAL. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I have figured out how to add new stars and star systems to the map. As a proof of concept I copied the system structure of Rasalhague (small number of planets and moons, easier to work with) and placed a new star system, "Dusk", to the south of Delta Pavonis. These are all new FormIDs, I didn't just move Rasalhague (moving systems is much easier).

However, the system is currently "unuseable" for the following reasons:

1. The system will not appear in a running game. It appears that the star map is established at the start of a new game or NG+. Any stars added after that initialization are placed on top of Sol, rendering access to that system difficult as the game has trouble figuring out if you are attempting to go to the old system or the new. So far I haven't figured out how to force a map update.

2. You can NOT land on any of the planets. Although I used existing planets as templates there is one thing I can't do, which is link the planet to a *.biom file in Starfield - PlanetData.ba2. These are the files that describe the surface tile layout of a planet (which tile has which biome), and without a valid, linked biom file the planet has no surface to land on. Ok, more accurately the game engine has no guide on what kind of terrain to procedurally generate, so it prevents you from going there. There is no obvious link to a biom file in the planet data, which means it's probably in one of the unknown fields.

So why upload this? First, to demonstrate that adding new systems is possible. Second, I'm hoping fresh eyes will help figure out the remaining issues, and any others that crop up.

Interesting advance. If you can add entire star systems that means you can do whatever you want with a mod without worrying about conflicts. In the comments they already figured out how to land, too (change from gas giant to something else)
Just what Starfield needed! More empty planets with nothing on them..

Modron

Arcane
I can see the future: now an a adopt a highway cleanup program for modders to volunteer and try to make planets interesting one planet at a time.

Vic

Savant
I mean to me it was pretty obvious from the beginning that starfield has the biggest mod potential of any previous game ever made. you could probably mod a fully functioning fallout 4 into the game.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I mean to me it was pretty obvious from the beginning that starfield has the biggest mod potential of any previous game ever made. you could probably mod a fully functioning fallout 4 into the game.
Laughs in Halo Infinite.

Seethe

Arbiter

Storyfags are truly hopeless 'tards. Especially the pearl clutchers

Vic

Savant
Web-capture-8-1-2024-22941-rpgcodex-net.jpg

Web-capture-8-1-2024-22170-rpgcodex-net.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Silverfish

Arbiter
Soyny bros seething when they could just buy an Xbox. You hate to see it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom