Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Silverfish

Arbiter
RPGs are for losers with no skill,

Nice try, but I just looked at the Starfield wiki and there's like eighty skills.

Gargaune

Arcane
devs were focused on gameplay and design, instead of presentation and tech
Nah, come on, plenty of your favourite games from the 90s were also pushing audio/visual tech as much as anything today. Ultima Underworld was revolutionary in its visual presentation, Fallout's dialogue heads were notoriously labour-intensive, Baldur's Gate was at the cutting edge of visuals when it came out, and Deus Ex jumped on the premiere graphics whoring solution of its day, the Unreal engine, and even bolted a proprietary lip-sync system onto it.

I get that the graphics departments have grown massively more compared to other disciplines in modern videogame development, but to suggest that devs in the 90s focused on gameplay and left presentation for an afterthought just isn't true. Studios at the time were exploring new boundaries across the board and graphics advancements were arguably deprecating hardware much quicker before the new console cycle model put a damper on it. It was just more manageable, labour-wise, due to the state of the art at the time.

Modern devs have also better tools for graphic design, which compensates a little for graphical requirements of games today and streamlines the process.
Key words being "a little", though, to the point it pales in comparison. You see these behemoth studios with hundreds of men on the payroll, an outsized proportion of them are involved in making textures, meshes, animations, programming shaders etc., that's just what modern graphics takes.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Key words being "a little", though, to the point it pales in comparison. You see these behemoth studios with hundreds of men on the payroll, an outsized proportion of them are involved in making textures, meshes, animations, programming shaders etc., that's just what modern graphics takes.
true, but then again anybody can whip up a game in Unreal engine or something if he truly just wants to focus on the gameplay. Tons of resources available now too to learn how to do it, video courses, etc. I remember spending all my birthday money on a C++ game development book in the late 90s :lol:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
My mistake is saying to a community of old farts and hipsters that new games are actually not that bad.

Hipsters never had taste, these people actually have a few decades of playing these games under their belt (and 0 tolerance for bullshit)

You should learn some respect

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Poe's Law at work.

I half want to see this on the game of the year edition cover since it would be like wearing a sticker saying retard. But I also don't want some random people to be saddled with that pile of shit because it's award winning..

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The 'innovative' gameplay consists of players finishing the game themselves via modding.

We knew that since Morrowind.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
https://tech4gamers.com/starfield-most-played-rpg-2023/

Starfield Beats Baldur’s Gate 3 As Most Played RPG of 2023​

ByAbiyan
Players Spent More Hours In Starfield Last Year!
2023 was a great year for RPGs. With games like Baldur’s Gate 3 dominating the completion to win 65 GOTY awards and Starfield reaching millions of players, last year’s slate of RPGs had a lot of variety.

Cyberpunk 2077 also turned into the best version of itself after the launch of Phantom Liberty. However, despite Baldur’s Gate 3 being considered the best RPG of 2023, Starfield has come out on top as the most-played title.
In December 2023, both Bethesda Game Studios and Larian Studios shared the stats of their respective games. While both developers reported an impressive amount of playtime, Baldur’s Gate 3 ended up falling behind.

As noted by Gameinfinitus, gamers spent 534,823,944 hours in Starfield. On the other hand, 452,556,984 hours have been spent in Baldur’s Gate 3, making Starfield the most-played RPG of 2023.

While Larian Studios shared its stats two weeks earlier, the developer had a head start since its game was released in August. Therefore, this discrepancy was likely evened out when considering the gap between the release of the two RPGs.
Unlike Starfield, Baldur’s Gate 3 was released on all platforms. However, at the time of these stats being published, the latter was not on the Xbox Series S|X platforms, making both games exclusive to one console platform, with the PC release being common across the two.

Still, the PS5 has a much larger market than the Xbox Series S|X consoles, recently reaching 50 million sales. This likely gave Larian Studios a slight edge despite a similar console exclusive release at the time of this comparison.
Xbox Game Pass’ ease of access may have been the reason for Starfield’s impressive playtime. While Larian Studios has no intention of putting its game on subscriptions, Bethesda Game Studios has reaped the benefits of Microsoft’s subscription-based approach in 2023.
In addition to its accolade as the most-played RPG of the year, Starfield received the most coverage of any game in 2023. As such, the game has constantly stayed relevant in the public eye.

Bethesda Game Studios has plans to keep things this way, promising to launch various updates leading up to the release of the first expansion.
LOL

Vic

Savant
I didn't see BG3 released a new infographic, thought they were inaccurately comparing it with the one from August. Interesting.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I was genuinely curious how will Bethesda react to an obvious troll award, but it seems that just playing stupid and accepting this as genuine wasn't below their dignity. Shame some codexer's didn't get the point, oh well.
Only way to respond to this sort of thing is "Thanks for the award guys, we really appreciate you voting for us." Anything else you do is going to get you mocked more. The straight response makes your fans think it's real and your enemies get no ammo to use against you.
https://tech4gamers.com/starfield-most-played-rpg-2023/

Starfield Beats Baldur’s Gate 3 As Most Played RPG of 2023​

ByAbiyan
Players Spent More Hours In Starfield Last Year!
2023 was a great year for RPGs. With games like Baldur’s Gate 3 dominating the completion to win 65 GOTY awards and Starfield reaching millions of players, last year’s slate of RPGs had a lot of variety.

Cyberpunk 2077 also turned into the best version of itself after the launch of Phantom Liberty. However, despite Baldur’s Gate 3 being considered the best RPG of 2023, Starfield has come out on top as the most-played title.
In December 2023, both Bethesda Game Studios and Larian Studios shared the stats of their respective games. While both developers reported an impressive amount of playtime, Baldur’s Gate 3 ended up falling behind.

As noted by Gameinfinitus, gamers spent 534,823,944 hours in Starfield. On the other hand, 452,556,984 hours have been spent in Baldur’s Gate 3, making Starfield the most-played RPG of 2023.

While Larian Studios shared its stats two weeks earlier, the developer had a head start since its game was released in August. Therefore, this discrepancy was likely evened out when considering the gap between the release of the two RPGs.
Unlike Starfield, Baldur’s Gate 3 was released on all platforms. However, at the time of these stats being published, the latter was not on the Xbox Series S|X platforms, making both games exclusive to one console platform, with the PC release being common across the two.

Still, the PS5 has a much larger market than the Xbox Series S|X consoles, recently reaching 50 million sales. This likely gave Larian Studios a slight edge despite a similar console exclusive release at the time of this comparison.
Xbox Game Pass’ ease of access may have been the reason for Starfield’s impressive playtime. While Larian Studios has no intention of putting its game on subscriptions, Bethesda Game Studios has reaped the benefits of Microsoft’s subscription-based approach in 2023.
In addition to its accolade as the most-played RPG of the year, Starfield received the most coverage of any game in 2023. As such, the game has constantly stayed relevant in the public eye.

Bethesda Game Studios has plans to keep things this way, promising to launch various updates leading up to the release of the first expansion.
LOL
Hey guys did I tell you I really like the bestiality game where a homo tries to pressure you into sex so you can learn magic? And the CUSTOM DICKS. Wow I'm such a great journalist. Talk about Starfield ffs, it's a shit game but don't spend the entire article talking about something else.

Modron

Arcane
in what world are we surprised that a Bethesda game is getting more players than a turn based cRPG
Poor Todd had to put it on gamepass to pump those numbers up. Cookie Clicker has a bigger 24 hour peak playerbase than Starfield on steam.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
in what world are we surprised that a Bethesda game is getting more players than a turn based cRPG
Poor Todd had to put it on gamepass to pump those numbers up. Cookie Clicker has a bigger 24 hour peak playerbase than Starfield on steam.
But there's more!

Microsoft not only put it on Gamepass they also changed how Gamepass files are installed so they're no longer hyper encrypted and unmoddable. They knew Starfield was a pile of shit and needed mods they changed their entire security system to allow you to install mods.

Vic

Savant
In a world where you're the only Bethestard and we are laughing at you for thinking people want to play a Bethesda game.
a lot of the flak the game is getting is from Bethesda fans actually who are disappointed that it's not a Skyrim/Fallout in space.

If I was a Bethesda fan I guess I'd be disappointed too :smug:

Gargaune

Arcane
a lot of the flak the game is getting is from Bethesda fans actually who are disappointed that it's not a Skyrim/Fallout in space.

You're not really selling me on this Starfield thing, Vic...

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
2 weeks defending it adamanently in the Starfield thread says other wise. Then trying to get your account deleted, changing the password and coming back like a beaten dog because you got called a Bethestard lol..

So real talk. Is there a mod to remove the annoying child from Jenson? He was the best companion but he wanted to drag a mutt brat around and neither would shut up while space pirates were getting into battles with me and having their ships stolen.

Stealing ships is fun. It's a shame they are always basically useless compared to yours. Being an anti-space pirate stealing ships to sell for huge credits should have been a viable playing style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom