Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
If it was a community vote, it explains a lot.
The question is whether it required owning the game or not.
If not, it's probably the work of psycho M$ fans.
They were the ones who mainly defended the game and only because it was an M$ exclusive.
Probably right platform evangelicals caused it, lets not also forget that Microsoft are direct competitors with Steam with Gamepass - so in a way this could be seen as sabotage. They need to change it so you have to own the game to vote for it. The fact that they only invalidate smaller indies from this is really unfair, example: I couldn't vote for actual smaller indie games that I liked but didn't own their games. It is a blatant double standard that only benefits AAA studios. So how about we get rid of that shit please.

If a small time Indie wins one of those awards its life changing. If Todd wins he just throws it on the shit pile of worthless shit awards he's received for the past 2 decades, it has no impact at all. These awards should improve the platform for the better, Valve are being idiots.

Really Cocoon was in the finalists again, yeah this is bullshit.
Cities 2.. Really... Can you see there's some clear Publisher fuckery going on here.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vic it's a time for celebration! Starfield won "Most Innovative Gameplay" award on Steam!

eeee.jpg

Whole Steam Awards 2023 are jokes except Sifu. You cannot make this shit up.

Gargaune

Arcane
This is pretty damn humiliating for Steam as a platform. I think they're going to have to explain how the fuck this actually happened because the numbers don't add up.
All I got to say is that if Starfield is the most innovative title our industry can produce, then our industry is dead because over time this type of game is going to run diminishing returns if you kept going.
Guys, maybe we're reading this wrong... Starfield is the most innovative game of 2023 - it took the Bethesda formula and removed the fun exploration! No one's done that before!

Self-Ejected
This is pretty damn humiliating for Steam as a platform. I think they're going to have to explain how the fuck this actually happened because the numbers don't add up.
All I got to say is that if Starfield is the most innovative title our industry can produce, then our industry is dead because over time this type of game is going to run diminishing returns if you kept going.
Guys, maybe we're reading this wrong... Starfield is the most innovative game of 2023 - it took the Bethesda formula and removed the fun exploration! No one's done that before!
Starfield did something very right. The ship building mechanics. Every single piece of the ship you assemble actually have stats. The main problem of starfield is not even the procedural generation. Procedural generation only works with landscapes but fauna,flora buildings are handcrafted and here comes the problem.

They made not enough models to support enough variation to make the game engaging in the long term in fact all it takes is visit 3 planet to start to find copies of the same research facility you found in planet one. For the questing tho (actual questing) is a vast improvement over fallout 4 or Skyrim but again there is not enough content to make the difference.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Starfield did something very right. The ship building mechanics. Every single piece of the ship you assemble actually have stats
There's no point to it when the combat is so terribly bad that the ship stats don't even matter anyway. You can avoid ship combat entirely, Bethesda said that was intentional by design. Its a redundant system designed purely as a gimmick to make people think they didn't just buy a worse version of Fallout 4 with Proc gen. Borderline its just a customizable house in Skyrim that teleports.

But besides the point my gripe was with Valve, and I mentioned even in the VGA thread, its clear something fucky is going on with these votes because the numbers don't add up. When steam is saying certain games are getting sub 10,000 during their lifetime they shouldn't be winning awards, especially if people didn't even play them on that platform to begin with. When voting can be done by pure random people with no verification in place then its prone to abuse. This is why public votes on things like this are inherently flawed and begging to get hijacked. But I care because this shits up the platform even more and creates even worse noise for smaller studios to then have to put up with. If the little guys don't get their chance to kick some ass, everything then goes to publishers and the platform declines in quality overall. We're setting some really shitty precedents.

We should be moving away from consolidated publishing not barreling towards it as an industry. Its not healthy.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
If not, it's probably the work of psycho M$ fans.
It's clearly being fucked with for the lulz. Welcome to internet polls, they're not to be taken seriously.
Probably right platform evangelicals caused it,
Or the same people who voted the new Mountain dew should be called Hitler did nothing wrong or sent some pop star to Alaska or Taylor Swift to a school for the deaf.
If a small time Indie wins one of those awards its life changing
Not really. Awards don't mean much even then. No one values online awards, they're just marketing. Review scores are more relevant and they're not really either.
Starfield did something very right. The ship building mechanics.
Fuck you. I spent an hour trying to make a ship I wanted to make and was constantly told I couldn't join parts together how I wanted because it has a very specific shape in mind for your ship. Can't be too long or too tall, has to have it's landing gear aligned in this way. Has to have a line between your main hatch and the cockpit. It was extremely limiting and the second you wanted to build anything but a space dildo it got pissy with you. You couldn't even select how your boxes were laid out inside. If you wanted a NPC hub as your entry point you had to put all your useful crap on a level above it with ladders often turning you to face a wall. Or you get out of your pilot seat and it turns you to face a wall. All kinds of dumb shit was broken and annoying.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
RPGCodex Users start to ponder the seriousness of online polls. It's fascinating to watch, at this point.
Its more that I question why the hell Valve would willingly do something like this that actively hurts their platform and makes them look incredibly stupid. Pretty obvious people were going to troll it, the VGAs were the pre-show.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
RPGCodex Users start to ponder the seriousness of online polls. It's fascinating to watch, at this point.
Its more that I question why the hell Valve would willingly do something like this that actively hurts their platform and makes them look incredibly stupid. Pretty obvious people were going to troll it, the VGAs were the pre-show.
It doesn't? It's clearly a joke and Bethesda are the only people able to look bad. No one gives a fuck about steam awards. Steam is a shop with an instant messenger attached and easy to join friends game function. Anything above and beyond that is irrelevant and barely used. Valve are aware of internet culture and knew what polls would do.

Shaki

Arbiter
It doesn't? It's clearly a joke and Bethesda are the only people able to look bad. No one gives a fuck about steam awards. Steam is a shop with an instant messenger attached and easy to join friends game function. Anything above and beyond that is irrelevant and barely used. Valve are aware of internet culture and knew what polls would do.
It's a meme just like people voting for RDR2 as labour of love, but also in the innovative category it was Starfield + some 4 niche noname games that no one knows, so probably in addition to trolls, shitload of people just clicked on the one game they recognize.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Have you seen the kind of shit they put on their stores, and how they remain #1 ?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a meme just like people voting for RDR2 as labour of love, but also in the innovative category it was Starfield + some 4 niche noname games that no one knows, so probably in addition to trolls, shitload of people just clicked on the one game they recognize.

Just like how they want you to vote in every category, but one of them is VR games. How many people have a VR set up? I always just pick one and click it.

Anyway, I find it interesting that anyone anywhere actually gives a shit about what's on the poll or what wins. :lol:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Have you seen the kind of shit they put on their stores, and how they remain #1 ?
Sadly I do often check steam new releases and it's always garbage. I use steam to buy really cheap games I find else where and any triple As I can't pirate/want to support (Elden Ring is the only one in the last year).

Steams number 1 because it was first and now it just works. It's easy to buy and your friends list acting as game lobbies is a great feature.

Gargaune

Arcane
Modding for this game is already dead, pretty sad. There won't be Requiem for Starfield for sure. It's dead Jim.

Official modding tools are still not released but there are little hype for the game.
If Todd had thought things through, the CK should've been out by Christmas latest. Ideally, it should've released with the game, but whatever. The more time passes, the farther you get from that initial hype, the more modders get comfortable sticking with the old stuff and filing Starfield in the "eh, maybe later" category. Between the CK wait and the poor reception, Starfield will have a much smaller mod scene than Fallout 4, which in turn was a step down from Skyrim's.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Modding for this game is already dead, pretty sad. There won't be Requiem for Starfield for sure. It's dead Jim.

Official modding tools are still not released but there are little hype for the game.

Why doesn't old CK work with starfield? Why wait so long? Will CK be completely redesigned to warrant the wait, or bethesda fucked up bigly?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Why doesn't old CK work with starfield? Why wait so long? Will CK be completely redesigned to warrant the wait, or bethesda fucked up bigly?
My bet is that they are going to release Creation Club at the same time as modding tools so that paid mods have less competition.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If only there were vehicles to drive on planet, but bethesta loves creating problems for themselves that can be fixed in DLCs. I hope this time they overdid and the automatons aka fans will bite them in ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom