Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Here's a picture of when I gave up on the game. 40+ hours of gameplay and it was still just a bad looter shooter with the ugliest NPCs I've ever seen. I did some character quests and married Sarah Morgan. Had to wait forever for merchants to restock the 1 type of bullet I needed more than 20 of, waited even longer for them to have enough money to buy all the junk I picked up along the way, I explored some planets. I played Superman 64 and it wasn't remotely RPG like. It was a buggy version of borderlands with boring weapons and more glitches than.. well a Bethesda game. Shit would break constantly and I played it to laugh at the bugs. Are you going to tell me it gets better on New game plus?
If a game is shit you usually won't bother playing for 40+ hours, and no it doesn't get better with NG+, you lose everything you own if you do it which is counter-productive to Bethesda's gameplay loop of hoarding a bunch of garbage in an NPCs house or whatever.

Um, sorry what's your point, I kinda lost track.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Can I just say, controversially, that I enjoy video games.
Do you like RPGs?
Here's a picture of when I gave up on the game. 40+ hours of gameplay and it was still just a bad looter shooter with the ugliest NPCs I've ever seen. I did some character quests and married Sarah Morgan. Had to wait forever for merchants to restock the 1 type of bullet I needed more than 20 of, waited even longer for them to have enough money to buy all the junk I picked up along the way, I explored some planets. I played Superman 64 and it wasn't remotely RPG like. It was a buggy version of borderlands with boring weapons and more glitches than.. well a Bethesda game. Shit would break constantly and I played it to laugh at the bugs. Are you going to tell me it gets better on New game plus?
If a game is shit you usually won't bother playing for 40+ hours, and no it doesn't get better with NG+, you lose everything you own if you do it which is counter-productive to Bethesda's gameplay loop of hoarding a bunch of garbage in an NPCs house or whatever.

Um, sorry what's your point, I kinda lost track.
Playing 40 hours seeing how shit breaks and laughing at it doesn't stop it being a shit game. I've played through modern pokemon games and they're shit. Sun and Moon are near unplayable and I still finished them.

Have you tried not rambling about utter non-sense and staying on topic instead? You could say Starfield has interesting zero G combat but the designers rarely used it and never found a proper way to guide the player through dungeons and assist players with bad spacial awareness. Or you could praise the way they er... er.. you can build a base that serves no purpose what so ever. There. Starfield! GOTY!

Vic

Savant
never found a proper way to guide the player through dungeons and assist players with bad spacial awareness
you mean like a map? Yeah, Starfield doesn't have those, but the good developers are steadily working on it! Maybe by 2025 we'll have working maps.

Vic

Savant
never found a proper way to guide the player through dungeons and assist players with bad spacial awareness
you mean like a map? Yeah, Starfield doesn't have those, but the good developers are steadily working on it! Maybe by 2025 we'll have working maps.
the real astronauts didn't use a map exploring the moon #nasapunk
that's a good point, all part of Todd's design genius but his spoiled little fans cried too much because they got lost in the big scary dungeons so now they're wasting precious dev time to add maps

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
who will pick up the torch and deliver us another game like skyrim? who does open world as good as bethesda?

Nobody. That's the problem.
Although nothing rises to the level of Morrowind, Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018) was a good Open World RPG where the chief weakness was a predefined player-character with too much narrative surrounding him. Unfortunately, it's been five years without a word on the progress of the sequel, and it's unlikely that Warhorse will move away from that cinematic narrative in favor of player freedom.

Outward (2019) was a promising Open World RPG with survival elements from a new developer, though janky in various respects and with nowhere near the budget of KC:D much less a later Elder Scrolls game. I had hopes that Nine Dots Studio would be able to build on this, but there isn't any news about a sequel yet.

CDPR did manage to create the Codex's GotY 2015 with The Witcher III, which adopted an Open World approach, though one inferior to Morrowind or KC:D due to the heavy use of non-interactable NPCs and locations. They could create a Witcher IV with a player-generated protagonist, a better Open World, and fewer cinematics, but their approach has yet to be revealed.

Elden Ring (2022) combined an Open World with the action-based gameplay of the Demon's/Dark Souls series. Considering its massive commercial success, it seems doubtful that FromSoftware will return to the earlier Souls formula but instead would probably create another hybrid Action RPG / Open World RPG, though it will never be equivalent to a game that is simply an Open World RPG.

Kenshi (2018) can also be considered an Open World RPG, but it's a rather strange game in certain respects, and in any case differs considerably from all of the above by not having a single player-controlled character but instead large squads. There still isn't much information about the sequel from Lo-Fi Games.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
CDPR did manage to create the Codex's GotY 2015 with The Witcher III, which adopted an Open World approach, though one inferior to Morrowind or KC:D due to the heavy use of non-interactable NPCs and locations. They could create a Witcher IV with a player-generated protagonist, a better Open World, and fewer cinematics, but their approach has yet to be revealed.
Cyberpunk's world design is also pretty solid. I enjoyed exploring it even if it was a broken mess when I played it.

Controversial opinion? Redfall's map is actually really interesting in places. There's some great fantasy elements that made me want to keep playing mixed in with the generic modern american town. A lot of these broken as fuck games still have really solid world design and fun wants to get around them. Finding ways to climb up buildings to sneak inside is pretty fun IMO and a good open world RPG should have vertical exploration and ways to use the roof for any of it's major locations. Human revolution did a good job of that too. You could grab stuff to jump over fences and climb ladders.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vic it's a time for celebration! Starfield won "Most Innovative Gameplay" award on Steam!

eeee.jpg

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Oh my god you are actually not kidding. I despair, I truly do despair at the state of this industry.
Isn't it player voted? In which case it's a complete shit post made to mock Bethesda and the industry.

Nice to see the TERF game get an award. Not my thing but that game is clearly a huge passion project and it got utterly fucked despite bowing to the troons.

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh my god you are actually not kidding. I despair, I truly do despair at the state of this industry.
Isn't it player voted? In which case it's a complete shit post made to mock Bethesda and the industry.

Nice to see the TERF game get an award. Not my thing but that game is clearly a huge passion project and it got utterly fucked despite bowing to the troons.
Eh I guess if it's a shitpost then faith restored, but christ there is a very real danger that a legion of gamer dads actually voted for it

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2024/01/happy-2024-lets-talk-about-starflight.html

Sadly, he's not actually talking about Starflight, but about the much less interesting Starfield. I'm pretty sure he said somewhere that Skyrim is his favorite RPG, and even he thinks Starfield is a pile of shit.

• Ground combat is way too easy, but if you increase the difficulty to compensate, space combat becomes way too hard. I want to hear more about others' experiences with both styles of combat, as I find them extremely unexciting and I wonder if I'm missing something. They don't seem very tactical to me. Chemical boosters don't seem to make much difference despite what they promise. Grenades hardly do any damage. Mines are a waste of time because enemies don't come to you. I mostly just charge into battle and heal later.
  • Companions have the worst AI since the 1980s.
  • Procedural generation ruins the open-world experience. Wondering what you might find over the next hill is fundamentally different from knowing that the game will generate something for you over the next hill.
  • I know that a lot of the abandoned outposts and whatnot are supposed to be left over from "The Colony Wars," but it still doesn't begin to make sense that there are that many such facilities on that many planets.
  • So much time was invested in the outpost-building mechanics, and yet there's absolutely no reason to build any outposts, mostly because . . .
  • There are no survival mechanics at all. Fuel isn't even any sort of consideration. It should have been an option for the player.
  • For all the excitement that flying your own ship and fighting other ships is supposed to generate, you fundamentally don't fly anything at all. You just rotate a view window.
  • I do like some of the world-building and lore, but it's very . . . bland? You've got a couple of factions and about 200 years of history, but nothing approaching the richness of, say, Mass Effect or even Bethesda's own Fallout games. Other than the immediate problem with the "Starborn," there are no real mysteries, conflicts, or complexity to the universe. You never hear much of anything from the most-interesting sounding faction, House Va'ruun. I assume they're being saved for an expansion.
  • In contrast to the sometimes-interesting side quests, I have never been less invested in a game's main storyline. I found its conclusion idiotic--although I allow that there might be some complexities that I haven't had a chance to process.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
This is pretty damn humiliating for Steam as a platform. I think they're going to have to explain how the fuck this actually happened because the numbers don't add up.
All I got to say is that if Starfield is the most innovative title our industry can produce, then our industry is dead because over time this type of game is going to run diminishing returns if you kept going. That's the lesson Todd learned by selling Oblivion again with a new coat of paint for what the 8th time now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom