Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If only there were vehicles to drive on planet, but bethesta loves creating problems for themselves that can be fixed in DLCs. I hope this time they overdid and the automatons aka fans will bite them in ass.

Shaki

Arbiter
If only there were vehicles to drive on planet, but bethesta loves creating problems for themselves that can be fixed in DLCs. I hope this time they overdid and the automatons aka fans will bite them in ass.
I imagine adding vehicles in their dogshit ancient engine, was deemed too much work to be worth it

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
How would this help? Driving to fucking nothing would be as boring as walking to fucking nothing.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
How would this help? Driving to fucking nothing would be as boring as walking to fucking nothing.

It would at least mitigate some problem, we were not talking about the game being bad on fundamental level[which is true], just that there are some easy fixes to make it at least less insufferable.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
It would at least mitigate some problem, we were not talking about the game being bad on fundamental level[which is true], just that there are some easy fixes to make it at least less insufferable.
Yes and no. It would make it less annoying to go to the places. But being able to visit them would reveal the problem even harder. Visiting 3 places that suck is different to 10 places that suck. The disappointment would be constant with less hope in between.

Modron

Arcane
zoomers like you got into gaming after 2004, you don't really know what is good
I mean it's possible he got in on the tail end of decent console games and the golden age of handheld gaming. But yeah pc gaming was going to shit as everything released on pcs suddenly had to work on xboxs, ps2s, and gamecubes.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
zoomers like you got into gaming after 2004, you don't really know what is good
I mean it's possible he got in on the tail end of decent console games and the golden age of handheld gaming. But yeah pc gaming was going to shit as everything released on pcs suddenly had to work on xboxs, ps2s, and gamecubes.
since he edited his post, I got into gaming in the 90s, I grew up with a black and green gameboy, then got my PS1 and only in 2002 a computer. So I got into PC gaming in 2002 and loved Cossacks, Warcraft 3, Rise of Nations, etc. I actually didn't get into RPGs until later in life, most of my time from ~2006-2010 was spent playing WoW, so didn't have much time for other games, or anything else really lol. Since 2010 I expanded playing more and more genres but my favorite games still remain from that nostalgic era of late 90s and early 2000s. But I also realize that it's mostly nostalgia and personal preference, good games are released every year so I don't agree with your and Ash's stance that games have been better back then. They are better now due to the drop of technological constraints and much more talent working in the industry, BG3 is objectively a better game than BG1 but fuck me if I'm gonna play that shit. BG1/2 are better than anything Larian produced for me personally.

Vic

Savant
They are better now due to the drop of technological constraints and much more talent working in the industry.

:notsureifserious:
dude you are a AAA player I see you all the time talking in MMO and bethesda threads. These games are financial products that are designed to make money for the people involved. They can HIRE talent but they won't have the creative freedom to make the things they really want.

The talent today is in indie and smaller studios. Even single devs have created amazing games because of patreon, donations etc. which allows them to work full time on their project for many years.

Vic

Savant
what this retard does not understand is that TECHNOLOGICAL CONSTRAINTS actually served a purpose in the 90s
Technologcal constraints forced developers to sacrifice on their vision and cut corners, to hack around to squeeze in what they wanted to put in within the limitations of the hardware. The creativity was in the application, but much of what they could've put in was far beyond of what they could achieve with tricks and hacks. We can see today the incredible depth of innovative games made by talented devs and we are still hitting hardware and programming limits.

Vic

Savant
BG3 is objectively a better game than BG1

Damn, you really must be salty af about not winning retard of the year, trying really hard to get a head start in the race for 2024 title.
It is objectively better for the simple reason than turn based is superior to rtwp. Not to mention the myriad of other things that modern technology, time, budget and their development process allowed to do.

For me personally? Not even gonna finish it.

Vic

Savant
We can see today the incredible depth of innovative games made by talented devs and we are still hitting hardware and programming limits.

The best part is that this is NOT a troll
you should play some actually good modern games and then you'll see. You are ignorant towards modern achievements in gaming, it makes you seem like a hipster at best or an idiot at worst. And no, I don't mean Starfield.

Vic

Savant
devs were focused on gameplay and design, instead of presentation and tech
Development in general was more involved in the past, so if you think that early 3D or 2D games didn't require a ton of work to to design and program the graphics, and because of that they could just whip up some graphics and focus on the gameplay, that's just plain wrong.

Modern devs have also better tools for graphic design, which compensates a little for graphical requirements of games today and streamlines the process.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom