Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Lemming42

Arcane
Doesn't the lockpicking skill level in Fo3/Skyrim also affect the chance to force a lock? Which makes it in that sense very similar to how Lockpicking worked in Fo1 - if you want to just roll your skill against the lock, click "Force Lock".

I've also never been sure whether or not investing in the skill causes the minigame to become progressively easier. Like, does investing in the skill allow you to apply more force before breaking a pick, and cause the sweet spot become wider? Or is it literally just that you get to attempt a new lock every 25 levels?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I always found those minigames so trivial that the only reason to force the lock was to spend dozens of extra lockpicks to grind the skill. And if you've got those extra picks, the chance of success doesn't matter at all.

Even if it did influence the minigame, adding a single point is such an irrelevant upgrade it shouldn't be worth a mention. You'll note that in better designed games with granular skill levels, you get those skill levels in chunks at a time, by assigning batches of skillpoints on level up. In D20 systems your smallest possible upgrade is going to be a 5% improved chance; and it'll almost always be much bigger proportionally, as you go from say a 20% success rate to 25%.

Same logic applies to loot. Is it better to loot 1 coin every 3 steps or to occasionally find a big stash of loot after facing challenges?

Drakortha

Liturgist
I think he's right to hold off on TESVI, even if the reason for the delay is something as embarrassing as them being incapable of coming up with anything decent.
I highly doubt they are delaying because they are afraid of producing something of bad quality. These decisions are not made by artists.

Plus, if they aren't embarrassed by Fallout 76 and Starfield already, then they simply have no shame.

ind33d

Learned
I always found those minigames so trivial that the only reason to force the lock was to spend dozens of extra lockpicks to grind the skill. And if you've got those extra picks, the chance of success doesn't matter at all.

Even if it did influence the minigame, adding a single point is such an irrelevant upgrade it shouldn't be worth a mention. You'll note that in better designed games with granular skill levels, you get those skill levels in chunks at a time, by assigning batches of skillpoints on level up. In D20 systems your smallest possible upgrade is going to be a 5% improved chance; and it'll almost always be much bigger proportionally, as you go from say a 20% success rate to 25%.

Same logic applies to loot. Is it better to loot 1 coin every 3 steps or to occasionally find a big stash of loot after facing challenges?
I actually like the lockpicking minigame and I can't even find a 50th lock for the achievement. What the FUCK were they thinking with the security skills in this game? There's fuck-all in every safe and the lockpicks are indestructible so you only need one.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I actually like the lockpicking minigame and I can't even find a 50th lock for the achievement. What the FUCK were they thinking with the security skills in this game? There's fuck-all in every safe and the lockpicks are indestructible so you only need one.
Messing up a lockpicking attempt does cost a digipick, for every restart or undo. Fortunately, the console command player.additem a x still adds x lockpicks digipicks, as it has since Morrowind. :M

Lemming42

Arcane
This mod (even though it's not likely to come out) would be exciting if only Starfield had featured space-to-surface flight. I want to fly over Seyda Neen in my personal doom-ship, The Dread Shadow, and watch Fargoth quake in terror before my twin las-cannons open up on him and remove all trace of his existence from reality.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Yet another TES total conversion project that will be sitting in oven for the next decade to come, hogging modding resources. Why can't they focus on Tamriel Rebuilt and Beyond Skyrim, the only somewhat longterm successful of these projects that aren't remakes, with maybe later in some way trying to port finished versions of those to other games. This may sound naive but i still think its more realistic than trying to recreate Tamriel, whole fucking continent, from the ground up for the nth amount of time. Years are spent on planning the same cities in many different projects at the same time, most of those get abandoned and some will eventually get gobbled up by other projects and when any version with somewhat playable amount of content gets released, next Bethesda game release starts being visible on horizon and the cycle will repeat.

jackofshadows

Magister
Modders gonna mod, that's their thing, let them be that way. No one was gonna play those batshit conversion mods anyway.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yet another TES total conversion project that will be sitting in oven for the next decade to come, hogging modding resources. Why can't they focus on Tamriel Rebuilt and Beyond Skyrim, the only somewhat longterm successful of these projects that aren't remakes, with maybe later in some way trying to port finished versions of those to other games. This may sound naive but i still think its more realistic than trying to recreate Tamriel, whole fucking continent, from the ground up for the nth amount of time. Years are spent on planning the same cities in many different projects at the same time, most of those get abandoned and some will eventually get gobbled up by other projects and when any version with somewhat playable amount of content gets released, next Bethesda game release starts being visible on horizon and the cycle will repeat.

At least it keeps all those racist incels beavering away in their basements year after year and not out on the streets starting civil wars...

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
this was a meme post on reddit written by chat gpt (literally), but of course that went over the head of the "journalist"

skyblivion is a less ambitious project than that and after 15 years it's still not out, if this was legit it would never happen anyway

guys, if you want to follow gaming news pick your sources and don't believe everything you read on the internet

ind33d

Learned
I was walking past the Neon Galbank when I picked up a wanted bounty on my scanner. Saw he was a murderer and suspected of making explosives, so before he could make a move, I unloaded my full-auto Ambassador in his chest. Did he die, you ask? Is cotton white? Every security officer on the planet drew on me and Sarah sprinted back to my ship while yelling she wanted a divorce. I feel like Michael Douglas in Falling Down. I'm the bad guy? I did everything right...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom