Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

MjKorz

Educated
just play a game that isn't shit

I can only play Fallout 4 so many times.
A true Codexian:
pbgk5t.png

Smerlus

Educated
Only started playing Bethesda games since TES III and got to see them gradually get worse but this game should be called Strawfield because I just can't bring myself to finish this undercooked, uninspired trash.

I'll wait until all the dlc and things are out, hopefully the modding community creates a substantial amount of mods for it and then I might be able to stomach finishing the game in a couple years.

FrostRaven

Barely Literate
I knew Starfield was going to be another Bethesda RPG. And that means I didn't expect much from it, just an open world Diogenes simulator without real roleplaying... it didn't even get there. It's bad and I'm not even going to try out the DLCs like in FO4.

It was so boring I still can't believe they created their own setting and 100+ developers couldn't create a Sci-fi setting with some kind of charm and unique stuff. They are dead to me, I don't care what they do. It's a dead studio like BioWare after 2012.
Your enjoyment of Starfield is 100% contingent on how much you enjoy ship design and settlement building. The game is passable, but the marketing is all wrong. I have probably spent more time building my ship than I've spent on most indie games. The target audience is actually autistic people who like trains.

With a dismemberment system and slightly more complicated combat, Starfield would be comparable to Doom Eternal. Once you acquire some force powers and a decent weapon, the shooting is great. The combat should be more like MMOs, with enemies stunning you and your companion cleansing your afflictions while you get attacked by lots of minions with low individual HP. It's especially absurd because the gunplay is 1:1 lifted from Destiny, but none of Destiny's mechanics like healing circles or DPS phases are in. Like taking what is already in the game and making it a shippable product should be possible to do in 48 hours.
I built a few ships and got bored because I couldn't make the connections where I wanted, and by trial and error get something that made kind of sense for a starship.

The basebuilding is worthless because there's even less content there than in the barely patched in before launch Settlement system from FO4 (that according to Todd was patched 6 months before release). I think it's worse than FO4 because I don't even have Preston telling me to do the same 5 quests forever, it's just there without any context. I did the 30+ settlements in FO4 because at least it felt like I was helping rebuild the Commonwealth, but in Starfail I just had no reason, no colonist, no fight against anything.... it's just barebones.

I agree that this game has potential. It could be fixed from the gameplay side, but I expect from an RPG being able to make decisions that affect the world (this game has like 8 decisions in total, I did a complete run and a few game+), but the story wipes your advancement in the world (ships/settlements/gear) and the setting cannot be really fixed without a timejump that makes it interesting. Maybe the DLC will make it more thrilling with another full faction or something like that, but this setting is just boiled chicken breast with potato: tasteless and boring. And that's the worse sin for me...

ind33d

Learned
Only started playing Bethesda games since TES III and got to see them gradually get worse but this game should be called Strawfield because I just can't bring myself to finish this undercooked, uninspired trash.

I'll wait until all the dlc and things are out, hopefully the modding community creates a substantial amount of mods for it and then I might be able to stomach finishing the game in a couple years.
the improvements Starfield made over Morrowind are all systems-based. it's why the game seems like a joke until you have multiple days clocked. player housing, indoor decoration, crafting objects that generate resources, it's all actually quite impressive, but there's no reason to engage with the gameplay systems because the game lacks a credit sink. all they need is to send the player an upkeep bill every month and tell him if he doesn't pay it, he loses his ship and gets stuck on his current planet until he's out of debt. the game's economy makes no sense on a fundamental level. what does Benjamin Bayu do all day?

like, imagine how retarded it is that the difficulty options reduce the amount of money merchants have instead of increasing prices. when you put everything on extreme, all it does is make you walk around town to sell one gun to each store. that's not "harder," that's cardio

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Come on Infinitron I think ind33d earned his Bethestard tag by now, wouldn't you agree? Why am I the only one? It's lonely at the top. Come join me ind33d, together we shall rule the thread.

ind33d

Learned
Come on Infinitron I think ind33d earned his Bethestard tag by now, wouldn't you agree? Why am I the only one? It's lonely at the top. Come join me ind33d, together we shall rule the thread.
i don't even like bethesda, i just feel bad for Todd. if i had been working at Bethesda, I would 100% have come up with Starfield and been humiliated at the Game Awards too

ind33d

Learned
there's no reason to engage with the gameplay systems because the game lacks a credit sink
Isn't shipbuilding a big credit sink if you want to go for the best of the line stuff?
yes but reactors don't even give you enough energy to power that many systems at once, so if I were to somehow find upgrades for all three of my guns, it would probably still be worse than just having maximum shields/engines/grav jump

i guess another good credit sink would be creating wonders from Civilization, like if you could spend 6,000,000 credits and buy a pyramid or the Hanging Gardens for your settlement. that would be a cool mod. then you would have to balance how many NGs you do compared to which famous monuments you want to build. thanks to the multiverses in-lore you could let players spend credits on any decorations from history: George Washington's teeth, Robert E. Lee's horse, Napoleon's hat, etc.

or someone could just add more random events when you use your ship to fast travel. you could even make most of them a text box. "grav drive misfire, lose 2000 credits," shit like that

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
all they need is to send the player an upkeep bill every month and tell him if he doesn't pay it, he loses his ship and gets stuck on his current planet until he's out of debt.
This could be a brilliiant bit of emergent gameplay; it's like the premise to the old game Whale's Voyage. It'd need a properly built-up universe to work though. Imagine if every planet had some kind of settlement with hand-made content, and if you fucked up with fuel/debt/etc you could just get stranded any time. Stop over on Shitty Malaria Jungle Planet and the tiny little disease-ridden colony there for a brief mission, then go back to the ship to be informed that it's been clamped and you'll have to somehow make the money on Jungle Hell World before you can leave. "Sarah Morgan disliked that" filling the screen and obscuring the entire game. Have to go talk to the mayor of Jungle Shitworld and s/he's like "oh yeah, well, we could maybe give you some money if you hunt the Giant Death Terror Lizard for us, it's somewhere in the jungle of the southern continent", then you're off on a three-day nightmare hunt for some rare alien lizard whose skin is rare enough that you'll barely be able to get enough money to get back into space, all while your supplies keep dwindling.

Old Hans

Arcane
i don't even like bethesda, i just feel bad for Todd. if i had been working at Bethesda, I would 100% have come up with Starfield and been humiliated at the Game Awards too
I feel like a lot of times Todd has no idea what's going on during development. I bet most of the time, the devs will show Todd an early prototype feature (like radiant AI) and then Todd goes out and tells everyone how awesome the new feature is. Who remembers that pre-release Oblivion video showcasing the amazing radiant AI? which turned out to be less amazing at release. Todd is always getting bamboozled by the dev team

FrostRaven

Barely Literate
I feel like a lot of times Todd has no idea what's going on during development. I bet most of the time, the devs will show Todd an early prototype feature (like radiant AI) and then Todd goes out and tells everyone how awesome the new feature is. Who remembers that pre-release Oblivion video showcasing the amazing radiant AI? which turned out to be less amazing at release. Todd is always getting bamboozled by the dev team
Pepperidge Farm remembers.... But the Radiant AI was there on release, it was just scaled down so it could run smoothly, probably because of XBOX's shitty hardware. Same reason we couldn't have Open Cities on Skyrim on PC because XBOX couldn't handle it.

I used to laugh when people said that Todd was really M'aiq, that he was just a sweet little liar... but now I know the truth: he constantly exagerates, omits unconfortable realities, meanwhile in interviews he admits sometimes the sad truth: they are cutting down on features. If they add something new they remove two old things and they have been doing this since Oblivion. They have been dumbing down their games since he was in charge with Morrowind (if you compare to the epic that was Daggerfall, with procedural gen and so on, that happened before he took control) and they are now shadows of what they used to be. Their games are just moddable sandbox shooters sprinkled with RPG mechanics and sometimes you have options in a few quests aside from accepting it or not (tops 10 per game) that harkens to their origins as RPGs.

ind33d

Learned
There needs to be a visual indication that your character has developed, like raid gear in WOW. Even just high-level clothing would be cool, like if you could get a godroll suit that gives you +20% speechcraft or a Flash Gordon outfit that buffs your jet pack skill. Starfield really doesn't capitalize on the multiverse shenanigans; there's no reason why you can't find Ebony or Glass armor on a backwater planet. There should be a blurring of the line between which powerful items are magic and which are science. Not like Magic: the Gathering with Black Aragorn clubbing Iron Man to death with the baseball bat from The Walking Dead, but something more like a cursed dagger whose powers could come from nanotechnology or an evil genie, and there's a quest about discovering which it is. Actually, Torment: Tides of Numenera did a much better job of this style of storytelling than Starfield did, which is quite sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom