Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Caim

Arcane
For a game releasing soon(ish), I'm seeing zero hype or media coverage. I'm smelling another fallout 4 Trainwreck with shit performance and bugs everywhere.
And increasingly dumbed-down "RPG" elements.
You think they can get more streamlined than phone UI + upgrade green bar, red bar, or blue bar? How?

"Would you like to level up?" -> YES (Level goes up by 1, no other effects.) | NO (Nothing happens.)
"Would you like to level up?"

- Yes
- No (Yes)
- Sarcastic (Yes)
- Tell me more about leveling up (Yes)

For a game releasing soon(ish), I'm seeing zero hype or media coverage. I'm smelling another fallout 4 Trainwreck with shit performance and bugs everywhere.
And increasingly dumbed-down "RPG" elements.
You think they can get more streamlined than phone UI + upgrade green bar, red bar, or blue bar? How?

"Would you like to level up?" -> YES (Level goes up by 1, no other effects.) | NO (Nothing happens.)
I wouldn't underestimate Bethesda's ability to dumb things down even further. They spent actual money to have voice actors record the same line in slightly different ways to give the illusion of multiple distinct dialogue choices.

EEFSDLSmyMKNKo7XDjGsgpEmGTyJKneH-_D6OZWgI8Y.jpg
LIAR! DECEIVER!
this is with mods. vanilla is most surely worse.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I would like to see TES game about dwemer disappearance.
Have you read this?

It doesn't mention dwemer or dwarves even once, but I think it's a strong reference to what might have "happened" to them. Basically, they evolved and transcended to another plane of existence.

That letter was actually adopted into an in-game note you can find on a corpse sitting outside what is clearly a dwemer time machine sphere that is hidden in a side cave deep underground in Wildlander. Not sure if it was in original Skyrim or not.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Have you read this?

It doesn't mention dwemer or dwarves even once, but I think it's a strong reference to what might have "happened" to them. Basically, they evolved and transcended to another plane of existence.

That letter was actually adopted into an in-game note you can find on a corpse sitting outside what is clearly a dwemer time machine sphere that is hidden in a side cave deep underground in Wildlander. Not sure if it was in original Skyrim or not.

Dwarves were most likely dabbling in some magical CERN tier experiments and their essence was destroyed.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Have you read this?

Dwarves were most likely dabbling in some magical CERN tier experiments and their essence was destroyed.
Yeah. The Heart of Lorkhan.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Or even worse, a suit of Pelinal armour, complete with cyborg death cannon mounted onto his gauntlet.
There's an odd theory going around, especially on reddit, about how Pelinal is a time travelling murder cyborg. Apparently it's because he's described as having a hand emitting a killing light and a bunch of people took this to mean ray-gun as opposed to, well, magic. You know, like what everyone else has on Nirn. Hell, his Armour in oblivion even gives a very slight bonus to Destruction and I don't see any plasma gun among his relics.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Or even worse, a suit of Pelinal armour, complete with cyborg death cannon mounted onto his gauntlet.
There's an odd theory going around, especially on reddit, about how Pelinal is a time travelling murder cyborg. Apparently it's because he's described as having a hand emitting a killing light and a bunch of people took this to mean ray-gun as opposed to, well, magic. You know, like what everyone else has on Nirn. Hell, his Armour in oblivion even gives a very slight bonus to Destruction and I don't see any plasma gun among his relics.
https://screenrant.com/skyrim-connected-fallout-same-universe-hidden-secret-nirnroot/

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
https://screenrant.com/skyrim-connected-fallout-same-universe-hidden-secret-nirnroot/
Absolute heresy.

ThatsRightImInIt

Educated
STOP DOUBTING TODD NOW
STARFIELD:

>classic dialogue system with an unvoiced protagonist, persuasion minigame in the vein of Oblivion’s but more involved; your proficiency in the minigame is of course improved by upgrading your persuasion skill trees like a proper RPG

>250,000+ lines of voiced dialogue, more than any game ever made

>character origins/class selection that gives you starting proficiency in certain skills, similar system not seen in a Bethesda RPG since Oblivion

>traits that you select during character creation that have a significant impact on the game; for instance, theres a trait that makes it so that you have parents you can actually visit throughout the events of the game, but you have to give them 10% of all money you earn from quests; another trait makes it so that you start out with a house on a peaceful planet, but you also are 50,000 credits in debt

>traits that impact dialogue options and give you a more defined background, like the Neon street rat trait

>traits that make it so you start off with better prices and disposition with certain factions, but also makes it so that enemy factions won’t trade with you and will have a negative perception of you

>of course, factions are joinable like past Bethesda RPGs and have lengthy quest lines; you can join all factions in a single playthrough, however depending on what factions you are involved with there are alternate ways to interact with them, for instance you can join the Crimson Fleet in good faith as a fledgling pirate or you can join them as an undercover United Colonies operative seeking to sabotage their operations; heavily implied in interviews there will be a reputation system; there are many interesting religious and ideological factions including radical cultists (House Var’ruun), and interstellar cowboy libertarians (Freestar Collective)

>perk skill system that gives you everything from more standard stat increases to unique gameplay changes, confirmed way more perks than Fallout 4

>banking system in the game, but how in-depth it is is up to speculation

>space simulation with real ship interiors where you can bring followers; in addition there is dogfighting, in-depth ship customization, boarding enemy ships in space, hiring and assigning crew members to roles and more

>lead quest designer is that dude who made Fallout Far Harbor, one of the best pieces of content in the series post-FO2

>most up to date version of Radiant AI with more immersive and realistic NPC interactions

>multiple handcrafted traditional Bethesda open worlds broken up by planets, featuring the biggest city in any Bethesda game ever (barring Daggerfall); “most handcrafted content in a Bethesda game”; in addition, 1000 procedurally generated planets to explore, colonize, and fill with modded content

>extensive base creation with deeper features and mechanics than FO4

>retains follower system with followers that have deep backstories and tons of dialogue like FNV and FO4, improved follower commands and AI, choose between human and robot followers; can order followers to speak and do persuasion checks on your behalf however sometimes this will result in less desirable consequences; if you do something a follower dislikes you wont merely get a pop-up like in FO4, now they’ll start changing their speaking patterns, give you new, disapproving dialogue and even give you the silent treatment depending on how badly you pissed them off

>uses a heavily upgraded version of creation engine which means the interiors of the world are still handcrafted and every single object in the world can be picked up, placed, dropped, etc just as its been since Morrowind, and of course modding is still just as simple as downloading an esp from nexus or a similar site

>realistic and engrossing hard sci-fi NASA-punk world that takes place 300 years in the future; people aren’t flying around with laser swords, still use ballistic guns and tech is believable

And last but certainly not least:

>project lead for Starfield is genius gaming luminary Todd Howard, who revolutionized video games with the Elder Scrolls series

Now I think it’s about time Codex apologize.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I judge games by seeing them as a sum of components. Some components I like and I give credit where it is due. Some I don't like and I criticize them.
We...I won't apologize at all until I have played the game to judge it correctly or as objectively as I can.
BTW, number of sold copies != revolutionary. What exactly does that IP revolutionize? Everything it does has been done better by other games. They're also power fantasies. Not bad, I like them but the term revolutionized is a bit much.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Aaaaand - Bethesda still can't do faces well
Criticize them for everything before Skyrim but this particular example looks p. realistic to me. If all faces in Starfield are of that quality I'll actually be quite surprised.

Texture-wise, surface-wise, sure, but it still looks like a "Bethesda face" to me. And I bet you any money that in action, it'll still look like a ventriloquist's dummy with someone's hand up its ass.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I went ahead an timestamped the part where he walks with a clowns swagger, looks like a turd in an "nasapunk" suit, and his eyebrows add to his retarded surprised look in ways never intended for human facial expression. Bethesda wanted us to see this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom