Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The human eye already has motion blur baked in. I have no idea why we need an extra simulated layer. Games should only simulate what the human eye can actually see in the real world all this photography crap only exists because companies feel games need to be "cinematic" and other bullshit crap like that.
Because a monitor isn't reality. When a real object moves in front of you it continously reflects light towards your eyes. If the object moves fast then it doesn't register for long in a particular location, which makes it look blurry as the brain tries to make sense of the input from the eyes.

Computer screens don't work like that. A game renders the entire field of view in a set moment, and then again a moment later. Our brains interpret this as fast moving objects teleporting instantly from position to position, making the motion look choppy rather than blurry.

Photographic distortions like chromatic abberation and lens flares are bullshit, but motion blur post-processing has a place until we get monitors and gpu's that can render a game at high enough FPS that they look like real motion. I suspect we're looking at 500+ fps before the brain can't tell any difference for the fastest moving objects.

volklore

Arcane
I thought post-processing stuff like motion blur/depth of field/lens flare are more about trying to emulate an actual camera focus/lens rather than the human eye. Which is why I usually disable that shit immediately.
I also can't believe most game don't have good Anti aliasing in 2023. BG3 is particularly terrible it's either SMAA that does barely anything, make shadow all dotted or TAA blurfest

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Lack of bugs probably works against Bethesda since their games being bugfests drew away any attention that would've been reserved for talking about the writing or gameplay.
This is pretty much what happened with CP77, the buggy launch overshadowed the fact that game was ass. By fixing some of the bugs they can then manufacture a "redemption arc" for their shit game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought motion blur purely existed to hide shit performance on consoles.

That's old news. Today motion blur exists to hide shit performance on your brand new $1600 graphics card.
Ditto for DLSS.

No, DLSS actually improves framerate. It does it in a dodgy way but it does improve framerate.

Motion blur just blurs things so you don't notice the shitty framerate, it's doesn't make anything faster.

thesecret1

Arcane
Motion blur makes games unplayable to me. I move the camera and everything goes blurry, what the fuck? That shit gets turned off immediately.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Lack of bugs probably works against Bethesda since their games being bugfests drew away any attention that would've been reserved for talking about the writing or gameplay.
This is pretty much what happened with CP77, the buggy launch overshadowed the fact that game was ass. By fixing some of the bugs they can then manufacture a "redemption arc" for their shit game.

P. clever actually. Everyone is too busy raging over the bugs and performance issues to notice there's a shit game almost completely devoid of content underneath. Modern problems require modern solutions.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Ditto for DLSS.
You can say this about DLSS Frame Generation if you want to, but DLSS Super Resolution doesn't hide anything. AMD has the same technology. It's nearly free performance with nearly zero image quality loss.

"Nearly" being the operative word.

It depends on the quality setting you use. In "Ultra Quality" mode it has nearly no image quality loss. But it also has nearly no performance improvement.

In Performance mode it boosts framerate significantly, but it looks like ass.

Readher

Savant
Ditto for DLSS.
You can say this about DLSS Frame Generation if you want to, but DLSS Super Resolution doesn't hide anything. AMD has the same technology. It's nearly free performance with nearly zero image quality loss.
It's only "nearly zero image quality loss" if you compare it to a vaseline smeared TAA image, which most of the games force on you nowadays. Both are absolute dogshit when compared to a clear image without any temporal fuckery that blurs your whole screen to hell and back.

https://imgsli.com/MTQ3NDA2/1/6

https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckTAA/

Hellraiser

Arcane
Fine, but the point is there's no hiding of anything with what we normally think of as DLSS. There's no deception going on, which is what Hellraiser was implying.
The whole point of DLSS is to hide that GPUs can't handle the resolutions the consumers would like to use, and thus sell weaker hardware as something better than it is because "it almost looks the same like actually rendering it at that resolution, trust me goy". It's a marketing trick first, graphic technology second.

Ryzer

Arcane
Fine, but the point is there's no hiding of anything with what we normally think of as DLSS. There's no deception going on, which is what Hellraiser was implying.
The whole point of DLSS is to hide that GPUs can't handle the resolutions the consumers would like to use, and thus sell weaker hardware as something better than it is because "it almost looks the same like actually rendering it at that resolution, trust me goy". It's a marketing trick first, graphic technology second.
People buy in drove anyway, so why bother?

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
DLSS can actually improve the game's visual quality if its done correctly
It should've been called GLSS, because it generates goyslop frames:

b5ae6abdd9704bf3ad84839695f25f79.jpg

Late Bloomer

Scholar
For me it was Fallout: New Vegas. I watched as the now then (and extremely talented) Obsidian Entertainment attempt to do a Fallout game in the utterly fucking abomination within the Fallout 3 Bethesda engine. They DID as much as they could do, and pulled off as much as they could do. But to me, it signaled the end. And then I stopped playing AAA cRPGs. Period.

Sounds like a response for this thread.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/whats-been-the-most-disappointing-rpg-you-can-think-of.148131

Yosharian

Arcane
I'll take upscaling. Something like FSR can do it just fine. But can you do it without generating goyslop in the process using DLSS?
DLSS is better than FSR, and in games like Death Stranding DLSS is literally better than native in many ways

I'm not talking about Frame Generation, that technology is still in its infancy and needs a lot of work

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom