Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

soutaiseiriron

Educated
I'll take upscaling. Something like FSR can do it just fine. But can you do it without generating goyslop in the process using DLSS?
can you use your words instead of internet shitspeak?
dlss is an excellent upscaler and excellent anti-aliaser. even if you're taking a native resolution hit, it often outperforms the native resolution TAA in many, many games.
FSR is mediocre. xess is better and usable on non-intel hardware, the newer versions since 1.1 also have almost identical performance to FSR. even TSR (what Unreal Engine uses) often has better stability and image quality.

racofer

Thread Incliner
We are ready.

image.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Lore video dropped. I haven't actually had time to watch it.

Edit: Two minutes in and you sound like a Rogue Trader lol.

Factions are pretty standard space opera fare: your centralized gov, your fringe gov, mercs and pirates, weird space cult, and then Constellation. could be interesting depending on execution.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Bungie wasn't even first to pull that kind of musical stunt. If we're going to go into this musical derailment then I'll mention that at least Biowhore had the decency to put in some no name indie band track that fit their synthy aesthetics in Mass Effect.

But the real OG is Relic getting Yes to contribute a song to Homeworld in the late 90s:

Hmm, I only now thanks to this thumbnail noticed they give special thanks to Chris Taylor. Is this just for Total Annihilation inspiring them or because he actually helped somehow or is it just someone named identically?

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'll take upscaling. Something like FSR can do it just fine. But can you do it without generating goyslop in the process using DLSS?
DLSS is upscaling, with A.I. You're thinking of frame generation, which was only introduced in RTX 4000-series.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
We are ready.

image.png

Oblivion - "Lovers with PK"
Fallout 3/NV - "Sexout"
Skyrim - "Sexlab"
Fallout 4 - "Advanced Animation Framework"

What's Starfield gonna be space coomers?

New age of coom. Finally, Skyrim can release throne.

the proportion of mod, adult or not, is much higher for skyrim vs any other Bethesda games. I don't see a "normal" sci-fi setting is going to dethrone Skyrim in modding scene

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
the proportion of mod, adult or not, is much higher for skyrim vs any other Bethesda games. I don't see a "normal" sci-fi setting is going to dethrone Skyrim in modding scene

A large % of the major prolific modders were essentially castrated and beheaded over the paid mod fiasco..

The truth about modding is it takes almost the same effort as game development but has zero of the benefits, assuming you don't get fucked by lawyers, you make zero money and your "fans" are generally 10x more entitled.

It's a pretty thankless job. Skyrim reached an apex and your probably not gonna see that level of engagement again until a new generation of starry eyed mod makers come into the eco-system, ignorant to what a shit deal it is.

--

Also.. compared to the fantasy genre.. nobody gives a shit about space or dystopia worlds.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
We are ready.

image.png

Oblivion - "Lovers with PK"
Fallout 3/NV - "Sexout"
Skyrim - "Sexlab"
Fallout 4 - "Advanced Animation Framework"

What's Starfield gonna be space coomers?

New age of coom. Finally, Skyrim can release throne.

Yes, but when modders interest move to Starfield, Skyrim became museum.Living, full of people, but still museum.

ind33d

Learned
Paid mods are absolutely the way for beth games to go. Who wouldn't pay $1.99 for FCOM, Frostfall, or Tamriel Rebuilt? Put mods on Steam and GOG and let the market sort it out.

The problem is that while the game is still being developed, there's no way to know what is even going to end up in the final product. It's better to let competent programmers assess the problems with the shipped game and fix them instead of just telling danger hairs on minimum wage to "Make Space Daggerfall"

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
But the real OG is Relic getting Yes to contribute a song to Homeworld in the late 90s:

The Yes song was great.

In many ways, Homeworld is one of those games that will never be surpassed by the feeble dev studios of the modern era.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yes, but when modders interest move to Starfield, Skyrim became museum.Living, full of people, but still museum.

This didn't happen when Fallout 4 came out.. there's no reason to expect it for Starfield either.
I'm not even sure if Elder Scrolls 6 will do it. ( a lot of Skyrim Modders, never moved to new games, they left modding altogether)

La vie sexuelle

Learned

This didn't happen when Fallout 4 came out.. there's no reason to expect it for Starfield either.
I'm not even sure if Elder Scrolls 6 will do it. ( a lot of Skyrim Modders, never moved to new games, they left modding altogether)

Starfield is not Fallout 4, in game scale, marketing or pumped hype.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Starfield is not Fallout 4, in game scale, marketing or pumped hype.

Yea it seems worse..
Falllout 76 really took the wind out of Bethesda's sails.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom