Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
To be fair, that unfinished game from almost 20 years ago is the definitive go-to example whenever anyone complains about modern facial animations, there ain't been that much stuff to top it.
I think a lot of games have had better facial animations than Bloodlines. The animations in general were often bugged and had weird expressions.

It's just not many CRPGs have had better facial animations. Big fish in a small pond, so to speak.

When your main competition is Dragon Age and Mass Effect, it's not hard to stand out.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
If you don't like the game why are you still hanging around here
I'm here to laugh at it. :M
Well, release is tomorrow, I'm sure there's gonna be a whole new flood of nigger memes and "this game is boring!" posts
Also new codex members who love the game, always happens. Just wait and you get some allies
no man I enjoy being the contrarian, otherwise I'd be on reddit.

Cross

Arcane
To be fair, that unfinished game from almost 20 years ago is the definitive go-to example whenever anyone complains about modern facial animations, there ain't been that much stuff to top it.
I think a lot of games have had better facial animations than Bloodlines. The animations in general were often bugged and had weird expressions.

It's just not many CRPGs have had better facial animations. Big fish in a small pond, so to speak.

When your main competition is Dragon Age and Mass Effect, it's not hard to stand out.
This is dumb. None of the games in that video let you freely talk to NPCs with a variety of different situations and responses, they're all standard cutscenes. You might as well compare Bloodlines to Pixar or Disney.

And while Bloodlines might not have the technically best or realistic facial animations, they have much more personality than the facial animations in other games. It's a great example of stylization.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Amazing time-traveling copying going on there then.
Nigger, I'm not accusing them of copying anything. I'm saying it's has a similar feel to Freelancer because it's a game many of us have played. I call it a rip-off to be derisive. If you want to talk about who ripped whom off, take a look at Wing Commander's release date.

It's generic space schlock. Nothing about it, from the "story" to the world to the combat, is memorable or especially enjoyable.

Go from point A to point B. Fight with generic NPC ships. Repeat infinitely.

Again, maybe the X series is great to you. It's not to me.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Is it me or the NPCs faces in starfield look worse than in Skyrim?
Many of them do look worse, the legions of noname NPCs.

IIn specific cases, where you are having a conversation with a story NPC, in a game area that's also part of the story, therefore there's a higher chance it has been tested - the animations can be significantly better, especially when combined with the tested lighting area/room lighting.

It was a similar situation in Cyberpunk - conversations with NPCs from the main quest chain always had superior lighting and face animations.
While it's true that main characters and quest-related NPCs had superior quality in TW3 and Cyberpunk, even random NPCs from those games look better than what Shartfield offers.

Just a quick example from a NPC I just found from wandering around in TW3:

screenshot-151456.png

deuxhero

Arcane

20 years and they still haven't implemented npcs reacting to you pulling out a weapon, how hard can it be?

They've actually regressed. Morrowind had a disposition penalty if you had your weapon unsheathed. Not much, and actually a benefit with how persuade success chance works, but it's something. Oblivion and Skyrim have nothing.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it me or the NPCs faces in starfield look worse than in Skyrim?
Many of them do look worse, the legions of noname NPCs.

IIn specific cases, where you are having a conversation with a story NPC, in a game area that's also part of the story, therefore there's a higher chance it has been tested - the animations can be significantly better, especially when combined with the tested lighting area/room lighting.

It was a similar situation in Cyberpunk - conversations with NPCs from the main quest chain always had superior lighting and face animations.
While it's true that main characters and quest-related NPCs had superior quality in TW3 and Cyberpunk, even random NPCs from those games look better than what Shartfield offers.

Just a quick example from a NPC I just found from wandering around in TW3:

screenshot-151456.png
Witcher 3 will forever remain a game where the devs pulled very smart tricks in order to do a lot with a little.

Their NPCs look good because, first - they are not random generated, they are all hand placed and have their own routines. If you load the same savegame 1000 times you will see the same npcs walking around in novigrad and its outskirts. Second, NPCs are reusing faces. Indeed those faces are well designed, but they are often reused. In the case with this woman on the screenshot, CDPR have used the dress and hat to mask the fact that her face isn't unique. Starfield I believe generates its pedestrians on the fly, likely cycling predefined face presets. But in Witcher 3 nothing is modular about the faces, the game simply doesn't have a face generation system as such. If you check out Cyberpunk where there is a face generation system, and where pedestrians are actually generated and streamed by the engine, the face variety and quality is lower.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
so basically just play No man's sky which by now is pretty good?
Is it though? I played it a while back and it's a dull, lifeless game too. Just with planetary landings etc.
so basically just play No man's sky which by now is pretty good?
never played NMS so was wondering too how it compares, but somebody said it's basically boring if you play alone

I played it only alone and never got into the hype on release so I only played it after it was fixed up and found it pretty enjoyable.

I am just reading the posts of you guys here and from what i am reading Starfield is pretty much the same gamedesign wise but it's also pretending to be an RPG and looks a bit arse imho.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
if you look in the games files they have like 12gb for facial animations alone afaik, while the rando NPCs can look weird, facial animations are very fluid in starfield, I sceenshotted a couple and they looked at me like real people almost, except for the blacks which have some issue with their eyes, but somebody said that look was normal for the blacks in his area :lol:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This is dumb. None of the games in that video let you freely talk to NPCs with a variety of different situations and responses, they're all standard cutscenes.
We're talking about the quality of animations on a technical level, usually with mocap, as is the case with BG3.

Putting a few dialog options to select which facial animations play doesn't make it any different.
You might as well compare Bloodlines to Pixar or Disney.
All studio games are big budget productions these days and the technology is similar. The difference is that Disney can piss away money all day long and they have entire studios dedicated just to mocap and animation editing. So, no, that would be a ridiculous comparison to make.

I'm comparing games to games. You're coping for some weird reason.

It's a 20yo game, dude. It looked good for the time, but there's been better looking games. Get over it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
if you look in the games files they have like 12gb for facial animations alone afaik, while the rando NPCs can look weird, facial animations are very fluid in starfield, I sceenshotted a couple and they looked at me like real people almost, except for the blacks which have some issue with their eyes, but somebody said that look was normal for the blacks in his area :lol:
The huge size might mean lack of optimization because of the old underlying tech, not necessarily high volume or fidelity. Like "how can the Chinese put down 1 km of fiberoptic cable per day? Easy, take 1000 Chinese, hand each one a shovel, and assign one meter length to each"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom