Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think people will widely overestimate how spacious "Space" actually is, both for space combat and travel and for interiors.
If your space stations don't look like this then your space game is shit.
Box_large.jpeg
Only modders would take their craft so seriously. Paid employees, never would. Is this from Minecraft?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I think people will widely overestimate how spacious "Space" actually is, both for space combat and travel and for interiors.
You mean in the game, or in reality? Because people usually widely underestimate the second
No, I really mean over-estimate, because they've watched a lot of Star Wars. Given the actual vastness of Space, and your ship's miniscule resource capacity, you are really a very constrained little microbe trying to travel through a moutful of spit, and your travel time in realtime would be multiple lifetimes :)

So the feeling of "I keep travelling in outer space and not a damn thing is *happening* to me!" is actually on point. You're not travelling through Skyrim, you're travelling through space. As others already compared many times.

I think the reason the witcher 3 background npcs still look better than cyberpunk and starfield is 'cause they are not really randomly generated faces.
It's not just the faces though. It's the animations. They were more natural, even in throwaway conversations with unimportant NPCs.

I think this was a result of the animators having a good database of natural-looking reactions, as well as having a better sense of the art of putting together a scene.

That was the next thing I was going to mention. They cleverly reuse animations both for plot characters and for NPCs. The end result is that they manage to weave a kind of individuality to characters' body language. Even if Geral smirks the same way, or shakes his hand the same way, it ends up turning into a "signature body language trait".

We need to change the slogan "mods will fix it" to "mods will make it bearable".
Times are changing, yes (for the worse).

If Cancer had TV commercials, this is what its slogan would be.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't remember that. It certainly explains why TW3 NPCs look so good.
Since children models are far less numerous and varied, their face reuse must have made an impression on you.

Imagine the horror of this specimen in Todd's word:
photomode-04092023-160556.png
Hah, for a moment I thought this is Starfield, and Bethesda have included a Tim Cain cameo.

Quickly looking around Jig Jig Street:
photomode-04092023-160305.png
One thing that's got me laughing in Cyberpunk while walking around the city is the amount of typical-typical Polish girl faces. You know the kind if you've ever been to Poland, you can't mistake them. The one on the right here is a good example, but I've seen even more classic ones, I think outside of the Mox' bar.

Caim

Arcane
Looks like MxR is back to doing mods for a Bethesda game. Reupload because he showed too much of Starfield's first nude mod, which is made by the guy who made the first nude mod for Skyrim.

Iucounu

Educated
i wonder why movies still use really attractive actors for most movies and western gaming decided to go into the opposite direction
Good question actually. Does anyone have a theory?

I think most actors and models look awful, but I suppose movies are at least trying. Could it be that more women watch movies, and they want to see pretty heroines to identify with? On the other hand it seems advertizing has started featuring "unconventional" models lately, so maybe the other industries are just lagging behind games a little.

Iucounu

Educated
I don't get why it has to be so (homo)sexual. Game's really horny and it's embarrassing.
So it is homosexual after all. The entire thread seemed so focused on race that I became cautiously optimistic for a while.
I suppose it means the indoctrination is working, if players don't even react to faggotry in games anymore.

For any of you whine babies complaining about black people in Atlantis
The same posters who are whining about black people in Starfield loved being surrounded by FAGGOTS in BG3 for 100+ hours straight.
For real? That's pretty damning...

Iucounu

Educated
whites are the minority, yes, but that's because you have all races mixed together, it's actually quite balanced among all races it seems.
But all those races are culturally American, I presume? Before the left sold out to globalism they used to talk about American cultural imperialism...

I wouldn't mind entire space colonies populated by genuine cultural Africans, but I realize the likelihood of a game developer achieving that in a believable way is non-existent.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
whites are the minority, yes, but that's because you have all races mixed together, it's actually quite balanced among all races it seems.
But all those races are culturally American, I presume? Before the left sold out to globalism they used to talk about American cultural imperialism...

I wouldn't mind entire space colonies populated by genuine cultural Africans, but I realize the likelihood of a game developer achieving that in a believable way is non-existent.
it's not a colony, there is no more Earth in Starfield, so that's all of humanity you see, not just America, hence the diversity.

tastywaffles

Literate
Pretty much, yeah. She didn't fly to a different planet, she flew toward the planet until she collided with the sprite.

And yes, collision bounds would seem obvious to anyone but a Bethesda staffer. Spacebourne 2, a $20 indie game in early access, did planetary landings using bounds.
"Nevermind planet bounds, no one's gonna spend seven fucking hours flying towards the damn thing." Two decades at it and Todd still doesn't know his target demo.

I've only progressed up to the end of the rescue mission (first mission together with Sarah) but I can see how this process of walking between area loading points can quickly get repetitive.

I didn't expect a full blown space flight simulation, but it was Bethesda's job to come up with activities, random events, and minigames, so it's not a predictable process of fast travel every time, and the necessity to press the same sequence of buttons as a player until you get to the loading screen.
Structuring the cosmic segments around planets instead of stars is probably the biggest flaw merely because it's the stupidest one. I get that space is "big" and Bethesda might've been shooting for some sort of "realism", but it's also quite empty and you don't have to go for a 1:1 representation of space flight. There's no reason that Gamebryo couldn't have handled navigating a star system in free flight and you could've populated it with random encounters and POIs. Atmospheric flight, entire persistent planets, that stuff would've presented technical challenges, but this would've been easy.
While traveling those long voyages between planets it should automatically switch to a pixelated Gradius-like side-scrolling game. Seven hours of forced Gradius could be a nice palette cleanser.

Vic

Savant
I think we've very nearly reached the point where we'll have to start considering Call of Duty as an rpg. The legendary final step in the long decline.
It's an RPG as long as you can't kill your enemies with player skill alone :lol:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Doesn't matter where you go, there will always be some "abandoned outpost" or whatever that isn't actually abandoned. Sure makes it feel like an unexplored galaxy out there.

My god, everything about this is so low effort. The UI, the graphics, the shooting, the voice acting, everything.

Lemming42

Arcane
My favourite bug is when you get in the tram in New Atlantis and the doors slam in the face of your companion, who can be seen running onto the tracks in the brief cutscene where the tram departs. 10/10 laugh every time.

Speaking of companions, does anyone have any experience with many of the non-Sarah ones? I switched to Lin because Lin rocks, but sadly she doesn't interject in dialogue like Sarah does, or have her own opinions about what I'm doing. I'm guessing it's just the Constellation wankers who are full-fledged and integrated into quests and such. Don't think I can stand the cowboy guy so it's between Barrett and Andreja next, I guess.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
i wonder why movies still use really attractive actors for most movies and western gaming decided to go into the opposite direction
Good question actually. Does anyone have a theory?

I think most actors and models look awful, but I suppose movies are at least trying. Could it be that more women watch movies, and they want to see pretty heroines to identify with? On the other hand it seems advertizing has started featuring "unconventional" models lately, so maybe the other industries are just lagging behind games a little.
The attractive women who still get cast in movies were grandmothered in. If a woman in a recent movie is attractive, it's because she's 40 and got in before the push for hideous mud monsters in everything.

Naraya

Arcane
My favourite bug is when you get in the tram in New Atlantis and the doors slam in the face of your companion, who can be seen running onto the tracks in the brief cutscene where the tram departs. 10/10 laugh every time.
That actually sounds hilarious. Is he an... adoring fan? :D

Vic

Savant
Doesn't matter where you go, there will always be some "abandoned outpost" or whatever that isn't actually abandoned. Sure makes it feel like an unexplored galaxy out there.
another abandoned outpost needs your help

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom