Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
so we are comparing CP2077 after years of patches vs newly launched Starfield?
No, smartass, but I will tell you that behavior didn't happen much (in my recollection) when CP2077 was first released. I think I would remember that, too, because I was so fascinated with the city on the first day I started playing the game.

The NPC popin, the cloning, the object LOD popin, all that shit, was all introduced patch by patch in CDPR's attempts to not personally be responsible for the destruction of thousands of PS5's worldwide.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Todd, please patch it so that the funny sexy dialogue only triggers when sleeping aboard the safety and decency of the player's ship. With no corpses present. Thanks.
that's hilarious, yeah lots of stuff needs patching, my helmet is constantly clipping through the camera when I exit the loot menu

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
omg, this Sam Cole guy's writing. "Let's talk business...", "It's rough country..." This is Obsidian-level drivel. A waste of a good voice actor.

Vic

Savant
because I was so fascinated with the city on the first day I started playing the game.
It was really something, but the more I played the shallower it became, I hope the same won't happen to Starfield.

that was on launch btw, haven't touched the game since.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
just checked out what reddit says about this because you are all whining bitches here and they all say "man I was so bored in my first few hours but then it just clicked!"

wtf
The art of self-conditioning? :lol: No, I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt, but I'm only liking it for the novelty.

The main problem for me is what Lemming says:
It'd be like if they made Skyrim, except decided that Windhelm and Whiterun should exist on completely different maps which can only be travelled between via fast travel, and that those maps should be one hundred times larger than they need to be, and that the game's dungeons should spread across them with miles of blank space in between that the player has no vehicles to travel across.

What drags down the feeling of wonder and puts you out of exploration addict mode is having to go through the interface and wait out the loading sequences. As soon as they fix that, I will overlook the jank, at least for as long as I can find new hamster treadmills to run before I get fed up.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think gamers need to play more board games. Board games are procedural by their very nature. You can't rely on presentation, convoluted narratives, or highly scripted events. You need game systems that provide meaningful engagement and diversity across permutations derived from the same base state. Furthermore, you also can't just chuck arbitrary complexity at them because the setup will become unbearable. You need to tune mechanics that are simple on their face but explode into emergent decision networks in practice. Chess and Go are very elegant games because their rule sets are so simple you could teach them to a child in 15 minutes, but the decision networks are so complex that even with entire datacenters of computing resources thrown at them they remain un-solved.
Whatever you might say that overindulgent attention-deficit spoiled brats should do more of, besides playing videogames, you would be correct.

Vic

Savant
What drags down the feeling of wonder and puts you out of exploration addict mode is having to go through the interface and wait out the loading sequences. As soon as they fix that, I will overlook the jank, at least for as long as I can find new hamster treadmills to run before I get fed up.
after I gave up trying to explore planets on foot, I am now using my spaceship to hunt for planets that have points of interest on them, so that's how my exploration happens now in the game, which is yeah, a lot of menus and loading screens.

Mortmal

Arcane
372646171_10161307273453169_7006213443551946722_n.jpg

The cherry on top is that my rtx 4070 seems to be barely enough to run the game at 1080p while its still looking like a stripped down GTAV. This is a new low even for Todd and the fact that he is mysteriously silent about it all just points me in the direction that this is the best the game can do and no patches will come along to fix it.
I am genuinely surprised that there are people here who still expect that a patch will solve the performance problems. That game was announced so many years ago, and they haven't done anything besides Fallout 76. They haven't made any progress on the Elder Scrolls games either. If they were able to optimize, they would have done so already. They were probably cutting costs with cheap, inexperienced youth, diversity hires, some nepotism to boot as usual, and even hiring underpaid modders. The uninspiring 50-year-old white male coder is definitely far too expensive and he's already hired into better jobs. So it will likely stay the way it is.

Vic

Savant
This is a raider base that we're clearing out, and the only reason I went to sleep was to heal myself.
You mean you're not stocked up with medkits up your neck? Admit it, you wanted to see if you will trigger a sex scene! (j/k)
I'm constantly face tanking bullets so I'm always out of medpacks, taking a quick nap mid-combat is a quick and easy fix :lol:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is a raider base that we're clearing out, and the only reason I went to sleep was to heal myself.
You mean you're not stocked up with medkits up your neck? Admit it, you wanted to see if you will trigger a sex scene! (j/k)
I'm constantly face tanking bullets so I'm always out of medpacks, taking a quick nap mid-combat is a quick and easy fix :lol:
Do you think the Starborn shouts over his stack of crates and calls, "Time out!" so he can take his 40 winks, then yells back, "Game on!" after he wakes up?

AwesomeButton

Patron
The NPC popin, the cloning, the object LOD popin, all that shit, was all introduced patch by patch in CDPR's attempts to not personally be responsible for the destruction of thousands of PS5's worldwide.
This, and the 1.4 patch in particular was as miserable and stingy as a Charles Dickens antagonist.

Iucounu

Educated
whites are the minority, yes, but that's because you have all races mixed together, it's actually quite balanced among all races it seems.
But all those races are culturally American, I presume? Before the left sold out to globalism they used to talk about American cultural imperialism...

I wouldn't mind entire space colonies populated by genuine cultural Africans, but I realize the likelihood of a game developer achieving that in a believable way is non-existent.
it's not a colony, there is no more Earth in Starfield, so that's all of humanity you see, not just America, hence the diversity.
OK, but are they culturally American in the game? Most of Earth's black people live in Africa, not in America (ditto for Indians, Chinese, etc). If you'd mix all those cultures in space there should be interesting consequences (both good and bad), but apparently that's too difficult and too sensitive for today's writers (that's one thing Mass Effect 1-2 did pretty well, using alien species as metaphores). A frequent annoyance of mine is when American sci-fi games try to be diverse, and all they can muster is including American blacks, American latinos, American gays, American females, basically having Americans represent all of future humanity without explanation.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bethesda makes an RPG where quest solutions, systems and dialogue options are locked behind skills, traits and factions joined but everyone seethes because the content is locked and the game doesn't tell you about this. Dungeons for handcrafted quests give you a lot of tools to use like secret vents, cuttable walls, npcs to persuade or pickpocket, things to hack to cause a distraction but people seethe because you don't find out about any of this if you only follow the quest marker

this game is made for a particular mindset that most modern gamers lack

AwesomeButton

Patron
Do you think the Starborn shouts over his stack of crates and calls, "Time out!" so he can take his 40 winks, then yells back, "Game on!" after he wakes up?
If Geralt can munch on a chicken leg while swordfighting with his free hand, why not.

Lemming42

Arcane
F9C2FU6.png

I say, this looks the business! Not sure why a shitty old Earth shotgun is literally five times better than some of the futuristic ones I'm carrying, but who cares. Ammo is cheap, damage is ludicrous, and enemies go flying.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Geralt can munch on a chicken leg while swordfighting with his free hand, why not.
Yeah, that's fair I suppose. It's not like it's a new thing, you can pretty much sit down and have a picnic on a cyclopes' head in Dragon's Dogma before stabbing him in the eye.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
F9C2FU6.png

I say, this looks the business! Not sure why a shitty old Earth shotgun is literally five times better than some of the futuristic ones I'm carrying, but who cares. Ammo is cheap, damage is ludicrous, and enemies go flying.

Because the chamber is round not square. The designer of the futuristic weapons failed basic shapes and managed to fit a round shell into a square hole...

Vic

Savant
that's a buggy affix btw, that should only apply to melee weapons imo

AwesomeButton

Patron
F9C2FU6.png

This was designed by someone going by memory, this forearm has nowhere to go back to extract the shell, but it's the feelz that's the important thing.

Vyvian

Educated
so we are comparing CP2077 after years of patches vs newly launched Starfield?
No, smartass, but I will tell you that behavior didn't happen much (in my recollection) when CP2077 was first released. I think I would remember that, too, because I was so fascinated with the city on the first day I started playing the game.

I had CP2077 on PC on release day and for me performance just got worse with each major patch. Launch was the best experience performance-wise with the game and my specs were somewhat below the minimum in some ways. What the hell was going on with the PS5 if that was the case?

Last edited:

kroki

Literate
ok so i torrented this. in the intro poc lady bosses me arround and the white dweeb behind her reminds me about her One Simple Rule - "do as the boss lady says". i remember playing outer worlds years ago and it also started with a sassy sheboon. big yikes so far.

i tried to shoot her with mining laser but beam just noclips through her model :hahano:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom