Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
OK, but are they culturally American in the game? Most of Earth's black people live in Africa, not in America (ditto for Indians, Chinese, etc). If you'd mix all those cultures in space there should be interesting consequences (both good and bad), but apparently that's too difficult and too sensitive for today's writers (that's one thing Mass Effect 1-2 did pretty well, using alien species as metaphores). A frequent annoyance of mine is when American sci-fi games try to be diverse, and all they can muster is including American blacks, American latinos, American gays, American females, basically having Americans represent all of future humanity without explanation.
I haven't explored the cities too much yet but if I'll be honest it's written like American writers tried to create a diverse space faring nation from the remnants of earth's population. make of it what you will :lol: There is actual lore and stuff but I haven't looked too much into it

Vic

Savant
ok so i torrented this. in the intro poc lady bosses me arround and the white dweeb behind her reminds me about her One Simple Rule - "do as the boss lady says". i remember playing outer worlds years ago and it also started with a sassy sheboon. big yikes so far
you have to play it for at least 5 hours until it "clicks" :lol:

Lemming42

Arcane
Do the ships that sometimes fly overhead have any meaning or gameplay relevance? I was on a totally abandoned world which was said to be uncontacted for years and saw a ship taking off. Went prancing back to the USS Lemming42 to give chase only to find nothing in orbit. Landed on the surface to have a look around and found no signs of the ship's visit. I'd assume it was a special scripted event if not for the fact it's happened a few times now.

I did head into orbit once and find a random event ship (a teacher taking kids on an outer-space school trip who needed repair parts), but I don't think it was the same ship I saw take off, and was instead a Fo3 style random event that was picked from a pool.

Vic

Savant
Do the ships that sometimes fly overhead have any meaning or gameplay relevance? I was on a totally abandoned world which was said to be uncontacted for years and saw a ship taking off. Went prancing back to the USS Lemming42 to give chase only to find nothing in orbit. Landed on the surface to have a look around and found no signs of the ship's visit. I'd assume it was a special scripted event if not for the fact it's happened a few times now.
yeah these ships are random, they have a procgenned quest (hey give us some fuel) or some enemies from what I've seen

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
F9C2FU6.png

I say, this looks the business! Not sure why a shitty old Earth shotgun is literally five times better than some of the futuristic ones I'm carrying, but who cares. Ammo is cheap, damage is ludicrous, and enemies go flying.

Sort of a meta-style metaphor for the game itself, innit? Shit from decades ago simply is better & outperforms the 'modern' variants.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
F9C2FU6.png

I say, this looks the business! Not sure why a shitty old Earth shotgun is literally five times better than some of the futuristic ones I'm carrying, but who cares. Ammo is cheap, damage is ludicrous, and enemies go flying.
This was designed by someone going by memory, this forearm has nowhere to go back to extract the shell, but it's the feelz that's the important thing.

If the pump action grip is retracted and the ejection port is on the right, its actually an accurate representation, but yeah the pump slide should be forward from where it is were it actually functional and not "half racked".

Moink

Cipher
There's also an AS VAL and an AK, kinda weird choice, guess someone liked STALKER.

Vyvian

Educated
Has anyone tried any melee focused combat?
Did they improve that aspect or is it still just bonk or punch?

Moink

Cipher
I had a search around earlier and people are saying it's worse than Fallout 4 because no VATS, there's also barely any melee weapons and you can't put mods on them.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I feel like "NASApunk" was the biggest conceptual misstep of this entire product. Why deliberately go for something so sterile and dull? Pulp science fiction is a treasure trove of exciting aesthetics that nobody has really exploited in a AAA video game.

iu

iu

iu

Hell, even just doing a Jetsons RPG would be incredible. I just don't understand this """"creative"""" decision.

iu

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I feel like "NASApunk" was the biggest conceptual misstep of this entire product. Why deliberately go for something so sterile and dull? Pulp science fiction is a treasure trove of exciting aesthetics that nobody has really exploited in a AAA video game.

iu

iu

iu

Hell, even just doing a Jetsons RPG would be incredible. I just don't understand this """"creative"""" decision.

iu

Because they're all zoomer retards that can't read.

Lemming42

Arcane
It blows. The big problem is that enemies are almost all gun users, and their guns deal massive damage at higher levels. So you're constantly trying to close the gap and just getting your ass beat every time. The unarmed perks are cool and when you actually manage to close in you can fuck people up pretty fast, but overall it's like TES Arena all over again, where you're getting merked from 50 miles away before you can even land a hit.

Ryzer

Arcane
Rusty is having a mental breakdown, I think.
He is shilling for Starfield so much, that he calls Morrowind : " Trannywind" .
rpg.hq in full coping mode.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron

I'm about 10 hours in and thus far melee weapons have been really awful and underwhelming. Unlike Fallout where VATS massively helped with closing the distance and landing melee attacks with deadly efficiency you don't have that here. So closing that gap in a game which seems to be very much focused on gunplay doesn't seem viable. And melee sneak builds are comically lame. It is hard to stay stealthy with a ranged build, melee? Forget it.

kroki

Literate
is it normal to game to hang up for few seconds every so often? as if it was loading something. playing on an ssd

thesecret1

Arcane
I agree, at least about the plot hook. But at the same time this is literally what everyone said they wanted.
  • "I don't want to be a super important chosen one right away! I want to play an ordinary person going about their business."
  • "Bethesda sucks at main quests, they should stop making them altogether!"
  • "You become too powerful too quickly! You're supposed to be weak in the beginning!"
  • "I hate the tutorialization and hand holding!"
I had always been suspicious of these complaints because outside of Morrowind (and Fallout 76 strangely enough), most of the RPGs I've played with any kind of budget do elevate the main character to a privileged status. People say this stuff because they think it makes them sound sophisticated and it's easy to discount the value of the main hook on subsequent playthroughs when you're already familiar with how the game works. Even the people who never completed the main quest, probably followed along with it until they were comfortable with the mechanics.
People say this stuff because they want a rags to riches story. They want to start as as a crippled, old, blind beggar that's been left shivved in some backalley and barely manages to breathe, and turn that dude into a 20 years old gigachad that can destroy tanks using nothing but his fists as well as have him become the God Emperor of the universe. The moment you make the dude a "chosen one", you cheapen the whole thing. It's no longer the player's efforts that turned that loser into a superman, now it's some gay prophesy. Any time the NPCs give special consideration to the MC because he's "special", it feels like cheating, like something the player didn't earn.

Look at the first Gothic if you want an idea of how a story with that looks. You start off as a prisoner sent to die in a mining colony who gets his ass handed to him by overgrown chicken, the main quest doesn't even really begin until midgame (up until then it's just giving you a tour of the place) and doesn't hint at any grand destiny, and yet you end the game by slaying an ancient God.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron

iu

iu

iu

iu

This is called "Retrofuturism" and was pretty much the entire vibe of Fallout. All they had to do was move the hints already in place in the Fallout series to a 100% space based game and it would have been amazing. What we got instead is a shitty version of Mass Effect with worse graphics and instead of aliens its basically an entire galaxy full of---

Capture.4JPG.JPG

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

iu

iu

iu

iu

Fuckin' A, the "Gernsback Continuum" is still the dog's bollocks, and still ridiculously under-exploited.

Thinking about it, some people are picking up "s-f game maybe" vibes from the recent Swen interview, and it wouldn't surprise me at all, if Larian went for a new s-f property of their own, it would likely be in this sort of vein.

They have the sense of whackiness and sense of humour to do it. Here's hoping.

Vyvian

Educated
I had a search around earlier and people are saying it's worse than Fallout 4 because no VATS, there's also barely any melee weapons and you can't put mods on them.
It blows. The big problem is that enemies are almost all gun users, and their guns deal massive damage at higher levels. So you're constantly trying to close the gap and just getting your ass beat every time. The unarmed perks are cool and when you actually manage to close in you can fuck people up pretty fast, but overall it's like TES Arena all over again, where you're getting merked from 50 miles away before you can even land a hit.

I'm about 10 hours in and thus far melee weapons have been really awful and underwhelming. Unlike Fallout where VATS massively helped with closing the distance and landing melee attacks with deadly efficiency you don't have that here. So closing that gap in a game which seems to be very much focused on gunplay doesn't seem viable. And melee sneak builds are comically lame. It is hard to stay stealthy with a ranged build, melee? Forget it.

That's a shame. I keep hoping they'll go back to at least Oblivion style melee where you got special attacks as you levelled your skill but it seems they aren't interested anymore.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
omg, this Sam Cole guy's writing. "Let's talk business...", "It's rough country..." This is Obsidian-level drivel. A waste of a good voice actor.
You are a pathetic retard with an agenda. You find a way to complain about the one white dude. Not the homosexual black guy. Not the saccharin sweet mommy who talks like you are special needs student. Not the mutt Andreja with a voice like nails on a chalkboard. Not the beat up old mongolid Lin who nags and demans you. No no, you want to shit on the white dude. For being normal. Go fuck yourself, freak.

The combat, while similar to Fallout 4, is worse. That includes melee. Everything feels lighter, less grounded. Someone made a good analogy earlier. It's like the guns are all airsofts. No gore, no vats, no limbs being shot off, no heads explode. The same applies to melee. It feels like you are swinging a wiffle bat, or a retractable blade. Very light, very unsatisfying. It's pretty bad.

Vic

Savant
"hey let's fly over in our starship to this planet on this remote solar system and hit them with sticks and knives!"

get some lasers bitch, knives are last resort

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This is called "Retrofuturism" and was pretty much the entire vibe of Fallout. All they had to do was move the hints already in place in the Fallout series to a 100% space based game and it would have been amazing. What we got instead is a shitty version of Mass Effect with worse graphics and instead of aliens its basically an entire galaxy full of---

Except they fucked up retrofuturism from the original Fallout 1 & 2 games.

Vyvian

Educated
"hey let's fly over in our starship to this planet on this remote solar system and hit them with sticks and knives!"

get some lasers bitch, knives are last resort
No.
I want to prove the power of Kung Fu over pussy guns and lasers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom