Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Old Hans

Arcane
No!!! I can't switch companions until I've married Sarah! The game physically won't let me!

So, in the middle of a tense assignment, I've jetted off to the "Paradiso" resort to meet my soon-to-be mother-in-law. But she's bugged. She's just locked in place, staring at me.

This may well be Todd's magnum opus.
can you really marry companions? that is setting a bad precedent

Lemming42

Arcane
Do you regret:d1p:?
Honestly no, I'm having a lot of fun - it's pure unfiltered Bethesda, with all the positives and negatives that entails. Only real regret with this one is that I don't think I'm gonna be spending the next decade modding it like I did with Morrowind, Fo3 and Skyrim, unless the modding scene really does something incredible with it.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Do you regret:d1p:?
Honestly no, I'm having a lot of fun - it's pure unfiltered Bethesda, with all the positives and negatives that entails. Only real regret with this one is that I don't think I'm gonna be spending the next decade modding it like I did with Morrowind, Fo3 and Skyrim, unless the modding scene really does something incredible with it.

Just wait until you get to the end and it deletes your entire hard drive.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, it's silly. Although I think Bethesda do deserve credit for making it quite a serious undertaking. It's a bit more involved than the usual BioWare type romances. You get repeatedly asked if you want to commit, you get a little plot arc with some drama that plays out, you have to work pretty hard to win their approval in the first place, and so on. And when you are married or in a relationship, it changes pretty much all their dialogue and has a real effect on how they interact with you.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, it's silly. Although I think Bethesda do deserve credit for making it quite a serious undertaking. It's a bit more involved than the usual BioWare type romances. You get repeatedly asked if you want to commit, you get a little plot arc with some drama that plays out, you have to work pretty hard to win their approval in the first place, and so on. And when you are married or in a relationship, it changes pretty much all their dialogue and has a real effect on how they interact with you.

Then comes out the weird alien probes...

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
So, in the middle of a tense assignment, I've jetted off to the "Paradiso" resort to meet my soon-to-be mother-in-law. But she's bugged. She's just locked in place, staring at me.
Fully realistic courtship experience. You can see your mother-in-law's frown lines as she stares silently, judging you.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Here is a negro man who claims to be a historian. He speaks of Bollywood, having ancestors from France, and Hitler.

d7sU82UHCNkd.jpg

I figure most people will want the Hitler dialogue, so I will only do one timestamp, which is at 12:11
Bollywood reference = 5:16
His ancient French ancestors = 6:41

Lemming42

Arcane
Just reached the alleged transgender character. It doesn't seem to be an allegory for transgender stuff at all:

mi3l0Bq.png

She's part of a program intended to make supersoldiers using the genes of this one guy, mixed with new genetic material. There were lots of other "clones" in the program too (male and female), all made by combining new genetic material with the DNA of the original dude. The story hook is that the man who's genetics were used as the base for her and the other "clone" soldiers was a war criminal, and she feels uncomfortable that she was designed to share some of his mental traits. Player can say:

wT1yOmg.png

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
In the interests of trying to be somewhat fair, not everything in the game is butt ugly. One of the signs I came across in New Atlantis looks good and is even somewhat amusing:

qfX9eoJ.jpg

ind33d

Learned
"Microsoft demands console parity. The series S does not have the processing power to keep up. Todd knows modders will be able to very easily add mechanics like removed boundaries, ground vehicles and sub warp speed for moving around solar systems"

console peasants, not even once

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, I'm going back in after a short break.

I got a bit bored when I was fully exploring New Atlantis (although there are still a few areas I didn't do in the main MAST building) and now I am having the same thing happen at Neon after getting half-way through exploring it. I think going forward I will stop trying to fully explore the big settlements in one go. Bethesda made them a lot bigger than in their previous games (which I enjoy since I always criticized the dense scaled down experience of previous Bethesda game settlements) and there winds up being a lot of places in their Starfield large cities where there really isn't much of anything going on.

I'll just focus on wrapping up some quests I started there then head out to do some more exploration somewhere else.

Definitely a good but flawed game so far. Today I really dove into the spaceship customization and had quite a bit of fun with that. I think I am satisfied with my ship for now, at least until I level up enough to unlock more ship design options.

My mobile base has almost 1500 space of storage; every crafting station; an armory for displaying weapons; an infirmary with 2 beds; room for 4 crew and 4 passengers with 7 beds, 3 bathrooms, and 2 kitchens. The landing bay leads directly to the armory for role-playing purposes. I also put the landing bay in the front of the ship so I don't have to walk around to the back to get on and off the ship.

I tried to keep the design mostly on a single level so I don't have to climb a ladder that often. Only crew/passenger quarters and the docking exit are on the second floor.

It is asymmetrical and ugly, but it gets the job done.

CkX5cwi.png

UjxPrLC.png

nvog034.png

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Can anyone give a list of factions? The faction quests are easily some of the best stuff in the game so far but I can't find many. I know of the Freestar Rangers, the Japanese corporation on Neon, and the United Colonies or w/e they're called. It also looks like there's a Crimson Fleet questline, judging by the icon in my journal.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Lemming42

Arcane
Ah, so there's not many of them. That's a bit of a shame, they're good fun but they're not really as expansive or diverse as Oblivion's guilds were, and it looks like they don't make up for it in quantity.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Here is a negro man who claims to be a historian. He speaks of Bollywood, having ancestors from France, and Hitler.

d7sU82UHCNkd.jpg

I figure most people will want the Hitler dialogue, so I will only do one timestamp, which is at 12:11

300 years into the future and Hitler is in everyone's minds :lol:

I'm surprised they didn't include Putin there.

deuxhero

Arcane

d7sU82UHCNkd.jpg

1: The idea Columbus "exploited" the natives comes from contemporary propaganda by Europeans. These people who insist this can't name a single massacre by Columbus.
2: "My family comes from Lyon" is retarded. Starfield takes place in 2330 has has Earth uninhabitable since 2203. You don't talk about "your family" coming from a single town over a hundred years ago unless you're the most inbred man in the universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom