Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's 2024, and RPGCodex Users start to ponder the seriousness of online polls. It's fascinating to watch, at this point.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1.jpg

2.jpg

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
If not, it's probably the work of psycho M$ fans.
It's clearly being fucked with for the lulz. Welcome to internet polls, they're not to be taken seriously.
Probably right platform evangelicals caused it,
Or the same people who voted the new Mountain dew should be called Hitler did nothing wrong or sent some pop star to Alaska or Taylor Swift to a school for the deaf.
If a small time Indie wins one of those awards its life changing
Not really. Awards don't mean much even then. No one values online awards, they're just marketing. Review scores are more relevant and they're not really either.
Starfield did something very right. The ship building mechanics.
Fuck you. I spent an hour trying to make a ship I wanted to make and was constantly told I couldn't join parts together how I wanted because it has a very specific shape in mind for your ship. Can't be too long or too tall, has to have it's landing gear aligned in this way. Has to have a line between your main hatch and the cockpit. It was extremely limiting and the second you wanted to build anything but a space dildo it got pissy with you. You couldn't even select how your boxes were laid out inside. If you wanted a NPC hub as your entry point you had to put all your useful crap on a level above it with ladders often turning you to face a wall. Or you get out of your pilot seat and it turns you to face a wall. All kinds of dumb shit was broken and annoying.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
RPGCodex Users start to ponder the seriousness of online polls. It's fascinating to watch, at this point.
Its more that I question why the hell Valve would willingly do something like this that actively hurts their platform and makes them look incredibly stupid. Pretty obvious people were going to troll it, the VGAs were the pre-show.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
RPGCodex Users start to ponder the seriousness of online polls. It's fascinating to watch, at this point.
Its more that I question why the hell Valve would willingly do something like this that actively hurts their platform and makes them look incredibly stupid. Pretty obvious people were going to troll it, the VGAs were the pre-show.
It doesn't? It's clearly a joke and Bethesda are the only people able to look bad. No one gives a fuck about steam awards. Steam is a shop with an instant messenger attached and easy to join friends game function. Anything above and beyond that is irrelevant and barely used. Valve are aware of internet culture and knew what polls would do.

Shaki

Arbiter
It doesn't? It's clearly a joke and Bethesda are the only people able to look bad. No one gives a fuck about steam awards. Steam is a shop with an instant messenger attached and easy to join friends game function. Anything above and beyond that is irrelevant and barely used. Valve are aware of internet culture and knew what polls would do.
It's a meme just like people voting for RDR2 as labour of love, but also in the innovative category it was Starfield + some 4 niche noname games that no one knows, so probably in addition to trolls, shitload of people just clicked on the one game they recognize.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Have you seen the kind of shit they put on their stores, and how they remain #1 ?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a meme just like people voting for RDR2 as labour of love, but also in the innovative category it was Starfield + some 4 niche noname games that no one knows, so probably in addition to trolls, shitload of people just clicked on the one game they recognize.

Just like how they want you to vote in every category, but one of them is VR games. How many people have a VR set up? I always just pick one and click it.

Anyway, I find it interesting that anyone anywhere actually gives a shit about what's on the poll or what wins. :lol:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Have you seen the kind of shit they put on their stores, and how they remain #1 ?
Sadly I do often check steam new releases and it's always garbage. I use steam to buy really cheap games I find else where and any triple As I can't pirate/want to support (Elden Ring is the only one in the last year).

Steams number 1 because it was first and now it just works. It's easy to buy and your friends list acting as game lobbies is a great feature.

Gargaune

Arcane
Modding for this game is already dead, pretty sad. There won't be Requiem for Starfield for sure. It's dead Jim.

Official modding tools are still not released but there are little hype for the game.
If Todd had thought things through, the CK should've been out by Christmas latest. Ideally, it should've released with the game, but whatever. The more time passes, the farther you get from that initial hype, the more modders get comfortable sticking with the old stuff and filing Starfield in the "eh, maybe later" category. Between the CK wait and the poor reception, Starfield will have a much smaller mod scene than Fallout 4, which in turn was a step down from Skyrim's.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Modding for this game is already dead, pretty sad. There won't be Requiem for Starfield for sure. It's dead Jim.

Official modding tools are still not released but there are little hype for the game.

Why doesn't old CK work with starfield? Why wait so long? Will CK be completely redesigned to warrant the wait, or bethesda fucked up bigly?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Why doesn't old CK work with starfield? Why wait so long? Will CK be completely redesigned to warrant the wait, or bethesda fucked up bigly?
My bet is that they are going to release Creation Club at the same time as modding tools so that paid mods have less competition.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If only there were vehicles to drive on planet, but bethesta loves creating problems for themselves that can be fixed in DLCs. I hope this time they overdid and the automatons aka fans will bite them in ass.

Shaki

Arbiter
If only there were vehicles to drive on planet, but bethesta loves creating problems for themselves that can be fixed in DLCs. I hope this time they overdid and the automatons aka fans will bite them in ass.
I imagine adding vehicles in their dogshit ancient engine, was deemed too much work to be worth it

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
How would this help? Driving to fucking nothing would be as boring as walking to fucking nothing.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
How would this help? Driving to fucking nothing would be as boring as walking to fucking nothing.

It would at least mitigate some problem, we were not talking about the game being bad on fundamental level[which is true], just that there are some easy fixes to make it at least less insufferable.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
It would at least mitigate some problem, we were not talking about the game being bad on fundamental level[which is true], just that there are some easy fixes to make it at least less insufferable.
Yes and no. It would make it less annoying to go to the places. But being able to visit them would reveal the problem even harder. Visiting 3 places that suck is different to 10 places that suck. The disappointment would be constant with less hope in between.

Modron

Arcane
zoomers like you got into gaming after 2004, you don't really know what is good
I mean it's possible he got in on the tail end of decent console games and the golden age of handheld gaming. But yeah pc gaming was going to shit as everything released on pcs suddenly had to work on xboxs, ps2s, and gamecubes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom