Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

PlayerEmers

Educated

jon-tron-i-have-several-questions.gif

Uuuh this is not a bug, he just praying to Jesus so he can get his sins forgiven

image.png

Caim

Arcane
So if you run into an NPC they just go ragdolling like they got hit with a shield charge?

Because that's more than what I expected from Bethesda.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's hugely variable, sometimes they get knocked over, sometimes they just drop to the ground as if shot, sometimes your buggy makes a loud slamming sound and takes the brunt of the hit, flying into the air while the NPC remains standing upright.

ind33d

Learned
Something interesting is that now whenever a sci-fi property comes out, modders can just cannibalize its ideas for Starfield mods. The user interface and spaceship design from Concord would be good in SF. User interface can't be trademarked, right?

Losus4

Educated
Bethesda have no idea whatsoever why people like their games. People want more interactivity, mechanics and life sim elements in order to create their own narratives using all the systems the game offers. That trailer basically offers none of that, but just another storyline that will play out in the same script-heavy questlines in all their other games.

FrostRaven

Literate
A new planet with decent old style content can't save procedural slop with too few different encounter types, quest hooks and "dungeons" to explore. Yeah, it's gonna be good having finally a decent questing area, but 75% of the time you will be bored of doing the same areas with the same enemies in the same exact position with the same environmental loot.

Quillon

Arcane
I would have played/probably enjoyed this gaym if there weren't these "bring me coffee/booze etc" fetch quests that required several load screens to complete. Wake me up when/if they remove those. It doesn't matter if they add a whole traditional map or whatever I'd still have to play what's there before going to do what's been added, never could be a bee liner.

Lemming42

Arcane
Playing the game again now and I'm 100% reinforced in my opinion that this should have been a regular FPS. The open world stuff drags it down. All the good stuff, all the stuff that's had care and attention put into it and which is actually fun to play, is in the faction questlines. There isn't any reason for this to have been anything other than a standard FPS game with no backtracking and no open world.

But Todd really wanted to make some kind of Starflight thing and I guess Bethesda felt they had to make something that vaguely resembled the game they've been making over and over since Morrowind, so you end up with an unholy combination of lots of shit that doesn't work. It's Starflight 35 years too late, it's Skyrim with no exploration, it's an FPS with fifty loading screens and hubs between missions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
this should have been a regular FPS
Or more like Mass Effect.

It's like Todd really wanted to make his own Mass Effect, what with the magical abilities and companions, but also keep beefier RPG systems and also throw in chunky crafting and ship customizing and outpost building and... and... oh shit what the fuck even is this Frankenstein game that we've made.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah Mass Effect's "choose the next planet" setup could definitely have worked. Maybe it could have given a better sense of direction too; I think one of the weird things in Starfield is that it expects you to join both major factions at the same time and do both questlines, but you've got even less reason to be doing all this than you have in the average TES game. A more focused type of game could have tied the world together instead of it being this weird mostly-bland open world sludge.

jackofshadows

Magister
Playing the game again now and I'm 100% reinforced in my opinion that this should have been a regular FPS. The open world stuff drags it down. All the good stuff, all the stuff that's had care and attention put into it and which is actually fun to play, is in the faction questlines.
Hard disagree here, man. As an FPS this is at best mediocre but honestly just a pile of shit. All the NPCs, all the quests - the same. No, this thing should've tried go all in on its exploration/base and ship building stuff like it has been imagined initially as I understand. Yes, they failed miserably at that but that's not the reason to tack on all those shitty RPG and story elements and shooting from F4 (but somehow worse) and call it a day.

Lemming42

Arcane
They should definitely have set out to make a space exploration game to start with, but my experience of playing the final product is that the good stuff is in the questlines, and everything else is mostly just getting in the way. Stitch together the Vanguard, Crimson Fleet, and Freestar Rangers questlines and you have a decent Call of Duty style campaign, which could be even better if it was freed from the constraint of being in the Elder Scrolls mould with the weird dialogue camera and every item being a glitchy physics nightmare and all that.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I prefer to explore in Bethesda games. I can create my own story while playing in their worlds. Starfield couldnt even do that right.

3ospia.jpg

8zpnuu.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom